Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 PM

24 posts, read 34,606 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at the northeastern section of TX, and Dallas/ft worth has popped up on our radar. I keep hearing wonderful things, which is encouraging, but the state is so gigantic compared to where we're from that getting a handle on what/where is proving intimidating. So, I was hoping to get some basic information in exchange for some of our own basic info, lol.

We're in our mid-late twenties, with an almost 2yo and a little girl on the way come late November. We're looking to get to a nice area: quiet, low crime, affordable renting/real estate. We're used to rent being far lower in WI (we currently pay 610+electric, but we know that we're in a super cheap county. Milwaukee county, north of us, would scalp us for an apt this size in as nice of an area, like 700+.) real estate we're hoping to stick to the 150k price range.

Since it's a very different climate, what do utilities tend to look like? We have electric heat currently, and it got into the 200+/mo range with this psycho winter that we just had. Ick.

I have been told good things about ft worth, Plano, frisco, and McKinney. What are these areas like?

Schools aren't a big thing, as we plan on homeschooling. However, we'd like to be in an area where the kids aren't all punky.

Apostolic churches seem to be bountiful. Anyone here been to any of them?

Any information is genuinely appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 05:35 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
DFW is a great area to raise a family! Here are some thoughts for you:

1. Where will you and/or your husband be working? The DFW area is huge! It can take 2+ hours to drive clear across the metroplex in rush hour so you really need to know your office location before focusing in on specific suburbs & neighborhoods if you want to avoid a long and expensive commute. There are a lot of tollroads here so a 20 mile commute can be 40+ minutes each direction, plus $5/day or more in tolls.

2. You'll most likely need to look in other areas than Frisco/Plano/etc for budget reasons. It is hard to find a good 2-br apartment for less than $800/mo. Electricity is probably $100+/mo in the summer months (May-early Oct)...
Honestly, someone may have better ideas, but a 2-br apartment is probably going to run $700-800/mo in any good/safe area of the metroplex. I would be very wary below $700.....

3. Same thing with $150k houses. The average home price in Frisco & Plano is in the $300k range with not much below $200-225k. McKinney's average is mid $200k's. Some suburbs where you can find $150k houses are Garland, Mesquite, Cedar Hill, Lancaster, Hurst/Euless/Bedford, Mansfield. $150k is pretty challenging to stay in a safe area although some forum posters have recently bought in that range and can probably give you advice. These are some of the suburbs they looked in.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:55 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
i average $200/mo on utilities for a 1200 sq ft condo. I don't have to water the lawn. Its a little less in the winter. Plan on $225/mo for property taxes on your $150K house. And also plan on about $125/mo for homeowners insurance. Property taxes and insurance will be rolled into your house payment, most likely. So, when you look at the house payment for principal and interest, just do a $600 add on to capture the best estimate of living in a house that you purchase. That figure won't include any maintenance, repairs or improvements....

You should expect to pay at least $750-800/mo rent in the burbs for a 2 bedroom apartment. And that will likely be in places like Hurst, South Euless, N. Richland Hills, Mesquite.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
You can find 8-10 yrs old houses in Little Elm in your price range. Considered "starter" homes. It is very safe. Not too close to any job locations unless you work at McD's, etc.

What type of work?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:23 AM

My husband works for walmart in management. 45k-ish+ up here in wisconsin,depends on if he gets into it again up here before we leave WI. Goodness - maybe TX isn't for us. I appreciate all of your help, though.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattieg87 View Post
My husband works for walmart in management. 45k-ish+ up here in wisconsin,depends on if he gets into it again up here before we leave WI. Goodness - maybe TX isn't for us. I appreciate all of your help, though.
Living in a major metroplex may not be in your budget right now but small town life in Texas IS a lot cheaper than Wisconsin. No state income tax and overall a lower COL. There are Wal-Marts all over Texas so take a look at of the smaller cities and towns like Amarillo, Tyler, Bryan-College Station, etc. You should ask on the Texas forum for suggestions of where your $600/ $150k will go further than here.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:34 AM

Thank you a lot. again, used to wisconsin "big" (which is unicorn farts in the wind compared to DFW, I'm sure) so those figures were a lot to take in after just waking up, lmbo.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:09 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,161 times
Default Stay in WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattieg87 View Post
Stay in WI. WI is much prettier, the living is far better, it's absolutely cleaner, and the ppl are honest and much nicer.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:08 PM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
Stay in WI. WI is much prettier, the living is far better, it's absolutely cleaner, and the ppl are honest and much nicer.
Yea whatever. My brother, a couple of friends and me deer hunt in Wisconsin every year and some years we actually ice-fish. Most people up there are near shut ins in the winter. The heat here is a bother and can be dangerous - the cold up there is a death-threat most every day from Dec. 1 - April 15.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:40 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,243 times
Nattie,

Transplant here originally from the other side of the Mississippi (MN). Not exactly the same situation for me as I'm a single guy but hopefully can give you some insight...

1) Absolutely agree with TurtleCreek - find job first and then place to live. DFW is very spread out and traffic can be an absolute bear. In fact, while I'm only so-so on the area I live (north Dallas area, basically Addison) as compared to other areas I found, it's near work so what I give up in "interesting neighborhood" I get back in not sitting 2-3 hours/day in traffic (I live about a mile from my work).

2) My 1BR is $829 (and I think a deal for the area - older building but clean and safe), so 2BR apt is realistically going to be more. $150K for a house will be a bit tough, but I thought about a house for awhile so was checking out the area. I found some houses in Richardson and in neighborhoods that seemed fine. Nothing special for the house itself but again at least 2BR and safe/clean. I believe BigDGeek (regular poster) could give you insight on Richardson.

3) You won't pay nearly the heating bills, but keep in mind more expensive electric in the summer with the hot Texas summers. Another item - at least more in the city proper - is summer nights do not cool down nearly as much as in MN/WI (or I hear even in other TX cities like Austin). Too much concrete in Dallas so in July/August/some of September even at 10-11PM, it will still be 90F. After a year or so, you'll find it "chilly" at 60F...

4) When you think about a house - while you still save more in balance having no income tax, you will pay higher property tax as mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: