Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm97 View Post
Exactly. I can't tell you how many times I had to pretend to attend church to not make waves at work. Fortunately, I work in technology now so I don't encounter openly religious people at work, nor do I encounter atheists. Perhaps people in my company just know not to get started on those topics. On the other hand, my Director did say that we needed to pray for a serious situation that threw a wrench into a major release, and I still respect him, but definitely do not look at his leadership in the same way anymore.
During a job application process I was once asked by a Dallas company (with only a few metro area outlets) what religion I was. Even though I'm religious I'd wanted to say hey you're not allowed to ask that.

But workplaces are never pretty; some moreso than others, as long as people staff companies. Have you considered maintaining stronger personal boundaries with your coworkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:32 AM

13 posts, read 16,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Agree. If someone asks about a conservative church in this forum, there's plenty of sincere recommendations and none of this "OMG why would you wear this on your sleeve" lecturing that happens right in this thread about the polar opposite.

If I was the OP, I would not worry too much, though. Yes, you'll alienate plenty of folks but that's a personal benefit, screening out incompatible people. I've met plenty of atheists or other non religious people here. There's so much ugly hypocrisy in religious circles that they reliably produce non believers. Give it time.

That's how I look at it also; screening out the incompatible ones. But I've aliented many, and the pessimist in me thinks there aren't any people left. Where all have you met like-minded people here? What are the activities, areas, etc.?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:34 AM

13 posts, read 16,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
During a job application process I was once asked by a Dallas company (with only a few metro area outlets) what religion I was. Even though I'm religious I'd wanted to say hey you're not allowed to ask that.

But workplaces are never pretty; some moreso than others, as long as people staff companies. Have you considered maintaining stronger personal boundaries with your coworkers?
I'm fine with the people at work, as religious and politics never come up. I rarely see the Director. And wow, I've never even been asked that in a job interview. Did you end up getting the job?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 AM
mm4

Quote:
I'm fine with the people at work, as religious and politics never come up. I rarely see the Director. And wow, I've never even been asked that in a job interview. Did you end up getting the job?
No.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,136 times
Quote:
I've been on all of the the sites, and agree with you. I keep running into the same people though, and they obviously weren't guys I chose, or we'd be together. Where can I meet like-minded men offline here?
I say this with all love and respect - if you've dated hundreds, and not found the person for you, the problem is not them. I've seen this quite a bit in my own life - some people readjust their expectations and find love, others still struggle.

But to answer your actual question, I googled "secular humanism dallas" and found a few promising results. You could also check out scifi conventions if those align with your interests. There's also the texas young democrats if you're under 40, and there is a chapter in dallas county.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:51 AM
mm4

Quote:
That's how I look at it also; screening out the incompatible ones. But I've aliented many, and the pessimist in me thinks there aren't any people left. Where all have you met like-minded people here? What are the activities, areas, etc.?
You're not going to find perfectly like-minded people. Part of the fun of having professed-atheist friends is conversationally and logically sparring with them when that subject asserts itself.

As far as OkCupid or Match: 2 Corinthians 6:14

Last edited by mm4; 09-05-2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 AM

769 posts, read 782,104 times
Quote:
For me, it starts with chit-chat, followed by a pool party invitation where you meet more people, you exchange mutual invitation to lunch or dinner, get invited to more parties etc. Add a sprinkle of social networking and the sky is the limit.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,541 times
To the OP, there are lots of things you can say if people bring up religion:

"I'm not a big fan of organized religion, for me it's very private."

"I was brought up <fill in the blank> but in the last few years I'd say I'm tending towards agnostic."
'Agnostic' is less threatening to people that 'atheist' because if you're 'agnostic' you're not denying anyone else's belief, if you're 'atheist' religious people may find this more threatening.

"At the moment the church I'm most comfortable with is <Quaker, Unitarian, Unity>" ... not that you've ever been to that church but it would certainly be more comfortable than many other options.

As far as where to live, Oak Cliff or East Dallas.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:54 AM

30 posts, read 45,222 times
I've only lived in the DFW area for about 18 months, I'm of a similar mindset as the OP (except I don't put politics and religion anywhere near the top of my priority list to strike a conversation or friendship, in fact I pretty well ignore and avoid both topics for the most part) and honestly I have never once been asked about church attendance or political views. Not sure how these topics always come up for her.

I would probably focus on common interests, things to do, etc and let the friendship grow organically rather than trying to force it.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 AM

235 posts, read 347,073 times
Just like every big city, Dallas has all kinds of people and I wouldn't see why anyone would have trouble fitting in although I can relate to some of what you said. Even Christians sometimes feel singled out if they don't fit certain stereotypes. Once I was asked "are you sure you are a Christian?" after telling someone I wouldn't vote for the Republican party in the next elections. This kind of stuff happens everywhere though, it's not specific to Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas