Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:53 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,398,031 times

Advertisements

Rowlett and Rockwall are out there Gmoney.

If I were you, I'd stick to Plano, Richardson (Certain parts) or Allen. All of these areas have good schools, are fairly close to Dallas and have a wide assortment of housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,713,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
Hi, momof2dfw, thanks for your respond, I have found in the net some houses that are been built in creek valley, Garland houses are built by First Texas Homes do you think this is a good area and if the schools are ok. Thanks again
Well, I drive past there twice daily to take my child to school over there. The Garland waste water treatment plant is VERY close by on Centerville. Then right there in that immediate area are three other fairly new developments that have been started by multiple developers over the years. One of the latest were some duplexes. Does not look like they are going over to well, the duplexes. The area w/ the First Texas homes is all by itself w/ no other builders or other homes having been built in there before. However, since this is VERY close to the magnet schools for the school district, unless your child gets tested and accepted into those schools you will be bused to another school across town. They do have so many slots that they must fill for the neighborhood kids but you have to be VERY close to the school to get those and this area is not the closest. One of the two large high school football stadiums is also on the corner across from this development, Homer B. Johnson Stadium at Centerville and Country Club. A new Dollar General is being built at Country Club & Miller. What gets me when I first saw the sign for this development was the starting price, $170K. You would be much better off looking at existing homes in other parts of the city in that price range w/ a neighborhood school that is w/in walking distance and surrounded by a better mix of housing. Now if you like having some of the ethnic markets close by, mostly of the hispanic influence, then you may like living there. I personally like some of those stores as I can find things that I can't at the major supermarkets.

Switch the name around and try in the area of a few developments called Valley Creek. Existing homes but with the neighborhood schools close by.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:25 PM

56 posts, read 388,605 times
It all depends what you want. That price can buy some nice 3/4 bedroom houses here. Check out Frisco, Rockwall, and Plano. They are all really nice areas, and within good school districts. They are also near major interstates/highways for easy access to different parts of the metroplex.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:20 AM

19 posts, read 74,229 times
what the... they deleted my post... i didnt say anything bad.

still need to know if people in TX are accepting of other mindsets in general or if they are ignorant and close-minded like LDN

Old 11-05-2006, 12:27 AM

56 posts, read 388,605 times
Depends on what the subject is to be closed minded about. I know im not closed minded, but this is a pretty conservative state as compared to CA. It is also a big bible belt state. Lots of rednecks, but also lots of really cool laid back people. It all depends on the area like I said. The older more rural towns will be more closed minded and used to old times as far as their mindsets. Downtown Dallas areas would generally be more liberal, especially around the Arts district. Ft. Worth is more country(sucks) and the surrounding suburbs are probably middle of the ground I would say.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:56 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,398,031 times
I live in West Plano and work with probably 20-30 people that live all over the area. yes, some go to church on Sunday, but they are not cornering you in the market to join them on Sunday.

To be honest, here in West Plano (west of Ohio), I've often forgot I'm even located in Texas. It looks and feels very upscale CA here.....much like parts of South Orange county. Since 'nesting' is important for me because my wife needs to buy off on the deal, I will probably live here for this reason....in a much smaller/older home (or maybe even rent) of course, but I realize that is the trade-off.

Also, yesterday I was at the Infiniti dealership getting an inspection and the service writer actually asked me why so many CAs are moving to Texas. He said he sees at least 2 new CAs per day.

I've also met alot of people here from Chicago and Florida as well.

Overall, the North Dallas area is really a melting pot....I think some of the pre conceived notions about bigoted rednecks are a bit unwarranted. I'm sure they exist, but they do not stand out and make anyone feel uncomfortable.

Again, this town has a big city feel, so I can't imagine anyone having a hard time fitting in....

What I do see here that is new to me is what I will call 'class envy'. Seems that everyone I talk to someone on the west side they need to remind me why they don't like the east side, then everyone on the east side needs to put down the west siders and claim they are all arrogant and live beyond their means. And both groups do it with such emotion and justification. Seems there are better things to worry about, but I guess the competetive spirit runs deep here.

Personally, I find this type of socioeconomic dilineation odd and maybe even childish. Since I think both areas have their merits and drawbacks, the folks here don't seem to like my 'wishy-washy' approach. It's almost like they want me to side with one or the other so that they can 'classify' me. While this may happen in the minds of people in CA, I've never heard it discussed as much as it is here. I guess it is part of that 'live and let live' attitude that makes CA so popular to many.

Last edited by socketz; 11-05-2006 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-14-2006, 06:54 AM
why

16 posts, read 193,906 times
Gmoney you seem like nice people so my suggestion is stay away from Texas all together. It is not a friendly place to live and i hate it here in Rockwall, There is nothing to do with children unless you want to spend a few hundred dollars on a fun day for the kids, the aquarium is so small and the zoo didnt have hardly any animals this state is over rated and i did honestly find some people since i lived here from other states as i was and they said it was a move they regret if you true texans are tired of me bashing your state please find me some nice people and things to do with my children that don't involve $. Rockwall i thought was going to be a nice place to live but with HOA and the snotty neighbors they make this area so miserable. Honestly it was they only place you can buy a house for a decent price with some backyard. What is with that here in Texas you have all this land and you build house so close you can spit on your neighbors. Gmoney if you have it good in Cali i would suggest to stay there cuz TEXAS SUX

Old 12-21-2006, 07:28 PM

13 posts, read 122,369 times
Would suggest you don't move...Texas is pretty ugly

Old 12-22-2006, 07:11 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,129,294 times
The only truely ugly places I've seen, (and I've travel across much of the US and a respectable number of places in the world,) were places where man made it ugly.

Texas has plenty of natural beauty, perhaps you haven't looked in the right places.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:59 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,713,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnum View Post
Would suggest you don't move...Texas is pretty ugly
He's stuck in Rowlett. I'd be upset too. But there are roads that lead out of there to get out and see the beauty of the area. To make such a wide sweeping comment that "Texas" is "ugly" really just shows someones sour personality and might be the reason they see everything as "ugly". To say ANY state is just flat out "ugly" does not hold much credibility with me as each state/city/geographic area has many areas of beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas