Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,684 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I am a recent college grad (23 y/o) and I am considering relocating to Texas from Florida. I have an aunt who lives in Frisco, who I would live with for a couple of months to help establish myself before I step out on my own. I am looking to move into a safe area somewhere close to the Frisco or Dallas area, which is fairly modern and tends to have more of a younger crowd. Nearby entertainment would be nice as well, such as great restaurants/bars etc.. I am not very familiar with the cost of living, and from the research I've done, it seems to fluctuate quite a bit depending on the proximity to popular spots. My aunt has suggested Uptown, but it seems that area may be a little bit too expensive for my taste (1000 max). Are there any other areas adjacent to the areas mentioned that would fit what I'm looking for? Please provide zips if you can. I appreciate all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 03:31 PM

207 posts, read 274,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChiNaomi View Post
Hi guys! I am a recent college grad (23 y/o) and I am considering relocating to Texas from Florida. I have an aunt who lives in Frisco, who I would live with for a couple of months to help establish myself before I step out on my own. I am looking to move into a safe area somewhere close to the Frisco or Dallas area, which is fairly modern and tends to have more of a younger crowd. Nearby entertainment would be nice as well, such as great restaurants/bars etc.. I am not very familiar with the cost of living, and from the research I've done, it seems to fluctuate quite a bit depending on the proximity to popular spots. My aunt has suggested Uptown, but it seems that area may be a little bit too expensive for my taste (1000 max). Are there any other areas adjacent to the areas mentioned that would fit what I'm looking for? Please provide zips if you can. I appreciate all of your help!
75201-Downtown Dallas

I would check out Downtown Dallas on or adjacent to Main Street. This area has really turned around the last few years and is still close to Uptown

75219-Oak Lawn

There have been Thousands of apartments built in this area over the past few years with Hundreds more coming online this year. It is just across the Katy Trail and Turtle Creek from Uptown and the closer you get to Uptown the safer it is.

75205-Knox/Henderson Corridor

This is an up and coming area that has restaurants, access to the Katy Trail and a younger crowd

75207-The Design District

This is an up and coming area that has good restaurants, safe and a younger crowd

There are several posters on here that can probably give a more in depth look into each area but these would be 4 areas I would look at that have close proximity to Uptown while still having solid entertainment nearby.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:32 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,394,973 times
Everyone in your demographic (young, college graduate, single, <$1000/month budget) seems to gravitate to the Village Apts as base camp for the first year. It's centrally located to the Dallas area and is more affordable than Uptown.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:56 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,159,935 times
Where is your job? Will you have a car?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 2,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Where is your job? Will you have a car?
Yes, i'll have a car and as far as my job location, its located in Irving, TX near DFW airport.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:42 AM

207 posts, read 274,046 times
Quote:
Yes, i'll have a car and as far as my job location, its located in Irving, TX near DFW airport.
For commute (while still staying close to Uptown), the Design District would probably be the best.

However, for under $1000/month you might be limited to a Studio apartment

Old 09-10-2014, 11:17 AM

24 posts, read 56,565 times
I would go with the Knox/Henderson area, The Village, or Oak Lawn/Uptown. I lived in the village for 6 years before purchasing a home in 2012, and I really liked the area. I work downtown, and while it is trying to turn around it isn't quite there yet IMO. I think there is more going on in other parts of the city.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 PM

5,428 posts, read 4,422,005 times
The Village or a 2 bedroom in Uptown with a roommate

Old 09-10-2014, 06:48 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,719,870 times
Quote:
Then living in The Village would not be an easy commute at all. There's no highway that goes between the two places, so you'd either have to go a long way out of your way to drive on 635 (construction mess), or take surface streets.

You might want to look at Las Colinas. It's fairly quiet as for nightlife, but there are a lot of younger people there, and it's not too bad to drive into Dallas for fun on weekends. You would be close to your work and wouldn't have to fight too much traffic, and the rents are lower than in downtown. Sign a 6 month lease, then if you find a roommate and want to move downtown, you aren't locked in to a long lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: