Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 10:13 AM

477 posts, read 1,051,343 times

Advertisements

With cooler weather approaching I'm planning on ripping out 2 decks in my backyard. I'd prefer a hard surface patio. I originally figured I'd go with a stamp and stained concrete patio across the entire back of my house.

However I've recently discovered that flagstone is about $170/ton and figured I could have a flagstone patio installed for probably about the same price or not much more. I'm also thinking the flagstone will be much less susceptible to cracking and look better as well.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? Am I right in assuming flagstone will be less susceptible to cracking as well as somewhat reasonably priced. I figure I'll need about 5-6 tons for the patio I envision. I'm also thinking I can hire out more of general labor guys to lay a flagstone patio, rather than more skilled concrete pourers. Is this a wrong assumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 08:31 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,188 times
true on all counts. I installed my own flagstone patio and it was a breeze compared to concrete work. Maintenance is also much better in the long term. If you have settling with flagstone, it's very easy to reset as needed.
If you want a tight fit, the labor will be higher with flagstone as each piece needs to be trimmed to fit but if you go with a more liberal layout, it's not a problem.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. What type of base did you set your flagstone on? Crushed granite? Sand? Or just on the ground ? What size thickness of stone did you use? I'm not above attempting this myself, but I am a female. I'm afraid the stone may be too heavy for me to move around safely.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
As a 40-something female, I laid a paver patio in a previous home without any difficulty. I think flagstone would have been beyond my ability - certainly beyond my budget back then. I used sand, the fine kind labeled for patio use. In the 10 yrs I continued to live in that house (New Orleans), it hardly shifted at all. I swept sand over the pavers after laying them to fill in the cracks - that was tedious and took a long time. I have done the same thing here, in a much smaller area, and in 2 yrs it has not shifted. It's a small area between my house and the fence, 5' wide, the length of about 15 ft. Unless you are really strong, I think flagstones will be too much for you.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:15 AM

I think so too. I'm not looking to throw my back out or anything. I think I'll ask around and find someone who does it for a living.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
You could hire some day labor and supervise yourself. But be aware that contractors will charge out the gazoonga for this. I know one individual that spent $45K on a flagstone drive and entry patio. Return on investment was maybe half.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 AM

I meant I'd find someone of Hispanic descent who is somewhat experienced with this type of work. I don't really care about ROI. No improvement I've done to my house is done for a ROI. I do them b/c I want them.

Guess I better start looking for a laborer and order my materials. Anyone have any semi skilled laborers they can recommend?

Old 09-16-2014, 04:43 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,188 times
no labor recommendations but I'd recommend Contractors Stone Supply in Plano for your stone if it's anywhere near your area. They have a great selection.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:49 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,319 times
How about have a stone party?

Invite people and have free beer and or food.

We did this when we had to roll out our sod.

22 PEOPLE SHOWED UP.

After all it's just setting stones on the ground its not like they are doing blockwork or building a roof
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas