Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:21 AM

948 posts, read 1,139,677 times

Advertisements

Ok I just installed Moderator cut: company name security system last month in our house and we had some accidents like opening the door in the morning before disabling the alarm. The alarm went off and I immediately turned it off. I didn't knew they call you right away to check on and if no response they will call the cops regardless if you turn off the alarm right away. I took my dog out to the backyard and by the time I got back, there was a voicemail from ST. I called them back and they said they called the cops. I am like wtf? I have to carry around my cell phone all the time now. Shouldn't they be monitoring the duration of the alarm before calling cops? I don't know if I should take it as a pro or con? Should I switch to ADT? Did you guys had similar incidents? I don't want to pay fine for false alarms.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 09-18-2014 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Consumer complaints are not allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:29 AM

953 posts, read 1,830,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Ok I just installed Moderator cut: company name security system last month in our house and we had some accidents like opening the door in the morning before disabling the alarm. The alarm went off and I immediately turned it off. I didn't knew they call you right away to check on and if no response they will call the cops regardless if you turn off the alarm right away. I took my dog out to the backyard and by the time I got back, there was a voicemail from ST. I called them back and they said they called the cops. I am like wtf? I have to carry around my cell phone all the time now. Shouldn't they be monitoring the duration of the alarm before calling cops? I don't know if I should take it as a pro or con? Should I switch to ADT? Did you guys had similar incidents? I don't want to pay fine for false alarms.
I call that great customer service. You should have known that when getting alarm turned on. Accidents happen but it doesn't mean they should pick up your slack!!! If they don't do it and you have a robbery then you will be writing another thread.

Additionally, you should register with your local police dept that you have an alarm else you will be assessed a fine if cops show up.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 09-18-2014 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Consumer complaint

Old 09-18-2014, 07:32 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Well, what if you were really in trouble and they tried to phone and you did not answer?
The protocol is the same for all the security services. learn to use your system or stop arming the house when you are hanging at home.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:39 AM

718 posts, read 1,389,341 times
Quote:
Ok I just installed smith thompson system last month in our house and we had some accidents like opening the door in the morning before disabling the alarm. The alarm went off and I immediately turned it off. I didn't knew they call you right away to check on and if no response they will call the cops regardless if you turn off the alarm right away. I took my dog out to the backyard and by the time I got back, there was a voicemail from ST. I called them back and they said they called the cops. I am like wtf? I have to carry around my cell phone all the time now. Shouldn't they be monitoring the duration of the alarm before calling cops? I don't know if I should take it as a pro or con? Should I switch to ADT? Did you guys had similar incidents? I don't want to pay fine for false alarms.
This is the protocol follow by all alarm security companies. If you don't answer your phone , they dispatch the police. It has nothing to do with ST . You may want that phone call to the cops if you are really in trouble. Changing company won't solve your problem.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:40 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,695 times
I have them and we occasionally open the door when the alarm is on. We turn it off within 2-3 seconds and we have never received a call. If you're turning it off in about the same time frame, that seems a bit odd that they would call.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 AM

77 posts, read 133,637 times
If you turn off within couple of seconds after the alarm went on they don't call you. The only time they called me was when my kid opened the back door and it took me sometime (15 - 20 seconds) to turn it off.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 AM

953 posts, read 1,830,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I have them and we occasionally open the door when the alarm is on. We turn it off within 2-3 seconds and we have never received a call. If you're turning it off in about the same time frame, that seems a bit odd that they would call.
That is awesome. I would need to dash to get it turned off.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:08 AM

45 posts, read 70,274 times
Quote:
Ok I just installed smith thompson system last month in our house and we had some accidents like opening the door in the morning before disabling the alarm. The alarm went off and I immediately turned it off. I didn't knew they call you right away to check on and if no response they will call the cops regardless if you turn off the alarm right away. I took my dog out to the backyard and by the time I got back, there was a voicemail from ST. I called them back and they said they called the cops. I am like wtf? I have to carry around my cell phone all the time now. Shouldn't they be monitoring the duration of the alarm before calling cops? I don't know if I should take it as a pro or con? Should I switch to ADT? Did you guys had similar incidents? I don't want to pay fine for false alarms.
I actually just called them yesterday to find out how to add all my main doors to the 30 second delay before triggering the alarm. I have a back exit that I tend to walk outside in the morning and it was triggering my alarm immediately. With the 30 second delay your alarm siren doesn't sound, just the alarm panel beeps like when you walk in your house. I recommend calling them and adding that "feature" to any zone you enter/exit out of regularly.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:33 AM

262 posts, read 468,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk1 View Post
I actually just called them yesterday to find out how to add all my main doors to the 30 second delay before triggering the alarm. I have a back exit that I tend to walk outside in the morning and it was triggering my alarm immediately. With the 30 second delay your alarm siren doesn't sound, just the alarm panel beeps like when you walk in your house. I recommend calling them and adding that "feature" to any zone you enter/exit out of regularly.
This is what I have on my main door and the door to my garage. My patio door alarm goes off with no delay.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:12 AM

45 posts, read 70,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball123 View Post
This is what I have on my main door and the door to my garage. My patio door alarm goes off with no delay.
What I'm saying is you can call them and get your patio door added to that, they will just walk you through how to do it on the phone. I did this same thing yesterday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas