Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 07:02 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post

I'm going to say a big fat NO given that he was exposed 4 days before he left and would have had to procure his visa well before then. And probably his plane ticket.

He likely didn't even know the pregnant neighbor had ebola until he came. She was the only one who was sick and it could have been pregnancy complications. The rest of his neighbors didn't fall ill until he arrived here.

Give the dude a break.

I have no idea why this is in italics
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
My thoughts as well. How was this guy supposed to come here and seek treatment for something he didn't know he had?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm concerned about local politicians grandstanding and talking about "bringing charges" against the patient when:
  1. We don't know if he's even going to survive yet
  2. I haven't seen convincing proof that he knew he had Ebola...does this proof even exist?
  3. Isn't it kind of unfair to blame him when the real danger to the public also occurred due to crappy EHR software and an unprepared public health system?
  4. Talk of bringing charges could also discourage other people in his situation from coming forward out of fear of being prosecuted
If i was a con man, I'd be looking long and hard for ya'll. Geez That being said, I'm glad the authorities are looking into this.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:44 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He is not being threatened with prosecution because he has Ebola. He's being threatened with prosecution because he broke laws and because he knowingly endangered many other people.
We have sent people to jail for not disclosing their HIV+ status to their many sex partners.

Seems to be the same situation to me.

Jimmy Billingsley Sentenced To 15 Years For Infecting Texas Woman With HIV

Old 10-04-2014, 08:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We have sent people to jail for not disclosing their HIV+ status to their many sex partners.

Exactly. We need to send a strong and clear message - if you know you've been exposed to Ebola, protect yourself and others by obeying the law and by being honest. Level with the authorities immediately - don't skirt the issue, hide, keep quiet, etc while you're carrying on life as if it had never happened.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:17 AM

953 posts, read 1,829,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Not exactly the same thing here! If he is proven that he knowingly hid the truth then yes. Otherwise, it is quite possible that when he took the landlord's daughter before the flight, he might have thought it is pregnancy related. The other individuals didn't show sign until he was here. It is hard to believe why he would hide that fact from his near and dear. This society has turned into a blame game crap rather than connecting with human emotions. It is not that airplane tickets are bought in a black market. The entire itinerary is there for everyone to see. It is convenient to blame an already and possibly powerless individual for covering up lack of safeguards in the system - software use, clinician education, immigration authorities not monitoring at port of arrival...

Last edited by frenzyrider; 10-04-2014 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 09:39 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
My grandkids just refused to go to the Arboretum b/c ebola is in Dallas. Such hysteria! Their parents tried to convince them it was safe but nope, not going. Even telling them the ebola victims were in another part of Dallas, far away, didn't help. Lord help us if that's how the world starts thinking.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:29 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My grandkids just refused to go to the Arboretum b/c ebola is in Dallas. Such hysteria! Their parents tried to convince them it was safe but nope, not going. Even telling them the ebola victims were in another part of Dallas, far away, didn't help. Lord help us if that's how the world starts thinking.
Well, guess what? If it gets out of control & Patient Zero was in Dallas, they may be happy about their prescience & decision to avoid Dallas.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:35 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Well, guess what? If it gets out of control & Patient Zero was in Dallas, they may be happy about their prescience & decision to avoid Dallas.
I don't think it hurts to exercise caution right now. I think the contacts traced are up to 114 now. Ten are very high risk of contracting ebola.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I don't think it hurts to exercise caution right now. I think the contacts traced are up to 114 now. Ten are very high risk of contracting ebola.
This news just out from Newark, NJ.

PA CDC Investigating Passenger For Possible Ebola At Newark Airport « CBS New York

Good times, good times.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:03 PM

9 posts, read 8,024 times
Quote:
People who contract Ebola in West Africa can get through airport screenings and onto a plane with a lie and a lot of ibuprofen, according to healthcare experts who believe more must be done to identify infected travelers.
Ibuprofen Is All It Takes to Avoid Airport Ebola Screening: Experts - NBC News

Old 10-04-2014, 01:30 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Tell us something we don't know...not you OP, the News.

Airports checking for people who are only symptomatic is only going to be slight to zero effective in screening for those infected with Ebola. It could be 2-3 weeks before a person even starts showing signs of a fever and even then, folks will naturally pop a few Advil to break the fever.

They need a more effective method of screening people entering the country from regions dealing with outbreaks...of any kind. I'm talking something like a blood test and 1-2 week quarantine. Also, the best method is to stop those folks before they ever board the plane in the first place. Then re-screen then once they land!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas