Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times

Advertisements

I have to fly to Dallas tomorrow morning for business and after watching CNN for about 2 hours last night, they have succeeded in pretty much freaking me the heck out about traveling to Dallas. They legit have "live team coverage" of the Ebola outbreak in Dallas....acting as if it's some apocalyptic disater affecting the entire city.

Should I be concerned about contracting it? Seriously? Or is it a case of the news media sensationalizing stories for ratings?

Old 10-08-2014, 10:37 AM

409 posts, read 1,044,865 times
there is NO ebola outbreak in dallas or any US city

Old 10-08-2014, 10:38 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I have to fly to Dallas tomorrow morning for business and after watching CNN for about 2 hours last night, they have succeeded in pretty much freaking me the heck out about traveling to Dallas. They legit have "live team coverage" of the Ebola outbreak in Dallas....acting as if it's some apocalyptic disater affecting the entire city.

Should I be concerned about contracting it? Seriously? Or is it a case of the news media sensationalizing stories for ratings?
It's the news. If it bleeds, it leads. The only person infected with the disease passed away this morning at Presbyterian Hospital. I'd say your odds of being struck by a train while simultaneously discovering you won the Powerball are probably better than your chances of coming down with Ebola in Dallas.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:44 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
With the exemption that we had a patient in the hospital with ebola, I would say that it's the same as every other US city. People are going about their days normally. There has been nobody diagnosed with ebola since Thomas Duncan.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:45 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It's the news. If it bleeds, it leads. The only person infected with the disease passed away this morning at Presbyterian Hospital. I'd say your odds of being struck by a train while simultaneously discovering you won the Powerball are probably better than your chances of coming down with Ebola in Dallas.
Honestly, it's a relief to hear that.
The media needs to chill the "bleep" out...

I'm watching it trying to decide if it's sensationalism or in fact a real threat.. I'm like "great, im flying there tomorrow... hope I dont get it" because CNN is relentless in their pursuit to scare people.

Is it me or is there always a new disease to live in fear of? Especially when it comes to the news media?

SARS, West Nile Virus, H1N1, Ebola, That D63 upper respitory infection...
getting annoying

Old 10-08-2014, 10:51 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
there is NO ebola outbreak in dallas or any US city
Not yet anyway.

Personally, I will be shocked if the woman Duncan was staying with does not become infected, or her kids. As badly as this was handled in the beginning, I think at least one person is going to contract it.

However, authorities keep saying they are monitoring everyone who is at risk. So outside of Duncan spreading it to the possible 80 people he had contact with, that should be the extent of any outbreak.

OP, I wouldn't worry about traveling here, just be stringent with washing your hands and not touching your face and mouth... standard things everyone should do while traveling and being in public places with lots of people.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:01 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Honestly, it's a relief to hear that.
The media needs to chill the "bleep" out...

I'm watching it trying to decide if it's sensationalism or in fact a real threat.. I'm like "great, im flying there tomorrow... hope I dont get it" because CNN is relentless in their pursuit to scare people.

Is it me or is there always a new disease to live in fear of? Especially when it comes to the news media?

SARS, West Nile Virus, H1N1, Ebola, That D63 upper respitory infection...
getting annoying
You forgot to mention chikungunya. I know how you feel, sometimes I feel like were a giant rat laboratory generating money by being treated. The only thing we can do is not worry, be careful, and wash our hands. Too many disease out there too avoid that you might catch one by trying to avoid another.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:10 AM

409 posts, read 1,044,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Not yet anyway.

Personally, I will be shocked if the woman Duncan was staying with does not become infected, or her kids.
She and the kids are in quarantine...court ordered...i'm not worried.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Calm down, right now. There is no "outbreak" in Dallas. One gentleman with Ebola has died and the rest of his family & direct contacts have been quarantined for days now and are NOT showing ANY symptoms. They are seen 2x/daily by health officials for monitoring.

Because the ONLY way to get Ebola is to have contact with someone who already has it - not someone who *may* have been exposed, but someone who actually has it- your chances of getting Ebola on your trip are ZERO.

Sensational news sells, thus the hysterics you see on tv. They aren't reality.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:53 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Not yet anyway.

Personally, I will be shocked if the woman Duncan was staying with does not become infected, or her kids. As badly as this was handled in the beginning, I think at least one person is going to get it.
His family should be out of the woods soon. While they are quarantined for 21 days after his diagnosis (Oct 19th), he started getting sick on Sept 24 which means they're really on day 15 of 21.

I'd be more concerned if I were the ER staff that checked him out and then released him because they probably took the least safety precautions of anyone in the medical field who came into contact with him.

Keep praying for health & peace for all involved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas