Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 799 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving from Kansas City to the Dallas area at the beginning of the year. We have a kindergartener and a pre-kinder who is a highly functional autistic child. We will be enrolling them at the beginning of the year. What we are looking for are great schools, friendly neighborhoods and low crime. We will be working downtown but we are willing to drive for the right place to live. For example, we have fallen in love with Allen, Plano, Frisco, Mckinney areas and their schools. However, we do realize that traffic may be challenging living so far out.

The closer cities we love, yet a bit pricey, are Southlake and Highland Park/University Park. However, we just can't seem to make these areas work within our budget. We are looking to live in an apartment for a few years before we buy. I have yet to see an apartment in Southlake (why is this?) and HP/UP wants on average $2k or more for a 2BR/2BTH apartment or house for rent that's around 1200sq ft or less.

What we are looking to rent near:

Education: Top Elementary schools (one that has great resources in place for special needs)

Drive: Within 30-35 min drive to downtown (will make a sacrifice for great schools)

Living: Family atmosphere, great nearby parks, safe neighborhoods and an apartment that is an 2BR/2BTH at least 1100 sq ft for around $1200-$1300 per month

Any suggestions and ideas would be great!

Thanks!
Future Texan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 01:20 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
There are NO apartments in Southlake.

You should be able to find an apartment in your price range in north Euless. The area of Euless that is north of MidCities Blvd is Grapevine-Colleyville ISD schools. You could easily take the TRE train downtown from the Centreport rail station, too.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:23 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
I would not look any further north of Plano since you're working downtown. Allen or McKinney to downtown is an easy 60-75 minute commute during rush hour and the schools are not as acclaimed as Plano's.

I would also add Richardson ISD to your list. It's a great place to live and schools are top-notch. Look in Richardson in the neighborhoods zoned to JJ Pearce HS or Richardson HS. The Lake Highlands neighborhood in northeast Dallas is also zoned to Richardson ISD schools and are sought after as well. Lake Highlands is an awesome family neighborhood and your commute would only be 15-20 minutes.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:23 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
We moved to Allen last year. I don't have experience with the elementary schools for special needs, however middle school (Ereckson) was wonderful. Thrilled beyond beleof with the teachers and principal who were all actively involved from day 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas