U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 03:36 PM

293 posts, read 793,712 times

Advertisements

I got a new job in downtown Dallas and I live in North Richland Hills; my hours will be 8-5 at first but I will have the option later to flex my hours a little bit if I want.

If I take the train (TRE from Richland Hills station to DART), my total trip will be about an hour 20 minutes in the morning and 1.30 in the evening. My husband is a really big proponent of mass transit in general so he is pushing the train all the way. I think that driving would be faster than the train in the morning but the same or longer in the evening. I'm not sold on the train yet.

What do you think: what's a typical commute from NRH to downtown Dallas during rush hour? Would you think the train would be faster? And if you have experience with using the train, is it as awesome as my DH thinks it is?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 05:18 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,602,657 times
Have you driven the route at 'any' time? During rush hour? Heading home, west in rush hour, into the sun? Have you tried the TRE/Dart or necessary connections? At any time? During rush hour?

The real difference is the feeling of a 'loss of control'. You don't have your car, can't dash out to the grocery. Get a Kindle and with a couple of good books installed.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:57 PM

293 posts, read 793,712 times
I have driven the route during the day during non-rush hour, but not during rush hour, which wasn't bad at all. I have never tried the TRE/Dart at all. I am a weirdo in that I actually love driving and don't get stressed out by bad traffic. Right now in current traffic mapquest is telling me it would take 58 minutes to drive it, whereas the combo of Dart/TRE/car to home is listed at 1 hour 55 minutes. I don't know if that's correct or not - it might be. My husband takes the same route and he left at 5, and said he expects to be home by 7...but some days he's home by 6:30.

I do think that 'loss of control' feeling that you mentioned is probably the biggest issue. I'm a working parent and the idea of having to wait around for a train when I'm 30 miles away from my kids is kind of terrifying to me.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:36 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,602,657 times
Living near downtown, I used to take the DART and enjoyed it completely. No cruising a garage for a parking spot, the walking distance to garage or DART was about the same but yeah, had to wait for the next train. But no red lights, no traffic hassles, no alternate routes just in case.

I've also seen the traffic in the 'burbs headed to downtown in the a.m., headed out in the p.m. I did that in Houston for a couple of decades, vowed never again. So I moved to Dallas.

So try each for a given period of time, see how it goes.

Good luck

Old 10-09-2014, 07:07 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,082,488 times
The usual rule is 2-3 min per mile in rush hour traffic.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:40 PM

32,557 posts, read 51,122,069 times
Just some info from reading this forum for years--
parking at the DART lot in NRHills is crowded/competitive and poorly-lighted (from last post I read)--your husband probably gets there before many cars have shown up--but if you are waiting for kids to leave for school then you are later--
but if you can't get spot then you are having to drive in after driving out of your way--that lot is closer to FTW than say NEMall/Precinct Line/Hwy 26--

IF you come in later--after dark has fallen in winter--you might not be comfortable walking to your car--not saying there has been host of problems there--but it is an open lot and don't think there is any kind of patrolling security...

AND dpending on where you work in Dallas you might wind up spending time on buy or another form of transit...

In theory mass transit is great but the reality around here is not user friendly--
the new toll lane is open on 183 -- is there anyone you could car pool with to share the cost?

And personally if you don't have friends or family around here when you do get a call about a sick child for example then you know you would regret not having your car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas