Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 06:59 AM

459 posts, read 1,743,718 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are in search of a realtor that can meet a bit of criteria. We have been working with a realtor that is a family friend, but I do not think he is the right fit for us for several reasons.

1) He only sets us up with searches and then says "tell me if there is a house you want to go look at." It feels very passive instead of him coming to us with listings that just come on the market that he thinks we would like. Is this normal?
2) He will not meet with us in person, I have asked several times. Is this normal???
3) It feels like he does not know much about the areas we are looking in (he primarily works in Dallas proper, but we are looking in Plano/Frisco/Carrollton).
4) As first time homebuyers, we are looking for someone who can educate us on the process as well. I leave e-mails, voice mails and text messages and he does not get back to answer my questions.

Please DM me if you have any suggestions. We have a purchase time frame of mid-November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:02 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,788,023 times
Remember you cannot post names, send a DM.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:05 AM

190 posts, read 288,005 times
We're in a similar boat. If you guys can send me some suggestion PMs too, that'll be very helpful of you!

Old 10-16-2014, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,204 times
me too , thanks

Old 10-16-2014, 03:41 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,082,108 times
Realtors have gotten a bit more lazy, now that realtor.com, zillow, etc... are out there for buyers to search their own criteria, find their own houses they want to look at, and can be done from your own home.

Personally, I've never had a realtor do much of anything for me except get me in the door and then relay my offer to the sellers agent if I'm interested. I do my own research, find the houses I want to see, and then I contact my realtor with the list. Be proactive. If you're not liking what your realtor is sending you, then send him the listings that YOU find.

You know better than anyone what you are looking for.

Also, if this realtor is not willing to meet, return phone calls or emails, etc... Then it's time to ditch that realtor. In fact, find a house you like, and then contact the sellers agent directly to show you the house. They'll probably offer to become your realtor.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:11 PM

157 posts, read 705,179 times
I sent DM's! I am very happy with my realtor. Can't recommend highly enough, definitely not lazy. If anyone else needs let me know.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:35 PM

446 posts, read 845,149 times
+1 @MckinneyOwnr I haven't had great experiences w realtors in the past either, even though some came with high recommendations. I agree with your suggestions, most of the time you can find what you're looking for from public sources, then just pick which ones you want to get your realtor in to see them.

Given the limited service they already provide, I'd just go with whomever gives the largest rebate. Alternatively, you can go with Redfin where you get some $ back, but they also provide you more of that hands on service you may be looking for. I've had several friends have very good experiences with Redfin agents on the buy side. Personally, my experience w Redfin on the sell side has similarly been nothing but excellent.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:01 PM

11 posts, read 23,312 times
I feel the same as MckinneyOwnr. I am building a house now. My realtor sends me targeted houses information every week and she always shows up when I want to check any of them. However, a good experienced realtor is very important. I did research all by myself and find the new construction in my neighborhood. All of the building survey and plat, the area future city plan, the tax estimation, etc are found by me, not the realtor. You can do all of your research on realtor.com (do not use zillow or trulia coz it could be sold but still listed there). My realtor even forgot to ask a discount from builder when I decided to build a new house instead of searching an old one.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:58 PM

157 posts, read 705,179 times
When I was looking I thought I didn't need a realtor, but the company I was approved for a loan through offered one. When she contacted us we told her we weren't going to put her on the sale, but she offered to help anyway. She worked her butt off and kept in touch with us in texts, emails and phone. In the end after she helped us look at many houses we decided we were too picky and went new, but we added her to the home anyway because she made herself invaluable. She even comes to every meeting we have and reads every document. I know what she gets paid, it isn't enough for what she has done for us.

So, while I agree, you can do some things on your own and you can do it without a realtor. One that has a lot of experience and cares is worth it I promise you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas