Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 05:32 AM

1 posts, read 756 times

Advertisements

Hello forum members,

At first, apologies for a slightly long post - but would rather provide as much detail to get as much advice!

I will be relocating to Dallas by December on work. I am starting to research areas to rent and it is getting very confusing - I see lots of properties listed but very few reviews of the general neighborhood, etc. I thought I would reach out to you for help! More about me:

Single male, 32, from India. Will work in Carrollton (Beltline and Midway) but dont mind commuting upto 30 mins each way to work.

Looking for a 2 bed, 2 bath place (family and friends make pit stops), not really restricted to an apartment complex. Top end of my budget is $2000/mo.

The other things I am looking for:

1. Relatively safe neighborhood, especially for when family visit
2. Proximity of schools not important
3. Preferably near some pocket of nature / green - a park or lake would be great
4. Like my live music but old school - blues, R&B, those genres. A live music bar scene would be a great plus!
5. Occasionally host get togethers but nothing too noisy or rowdy. I play the bass guitar so some occasional "noise" from a small practice amp but have never received a complaint in a decade.
6. No pet but dont mind them
7. Cant tolerate the 30K millionaire set (read: fakes) too much or for prolonged periods
8. Dont really need to be in a place with a large Indian population. I dont need to eat Indian food all the time. A friendly neighborhood would be a great plus, though.

Within the property, I am looking at safety , general quality of upkeep and cleanliness, some amenities (washer dryer in unit and a basic / usual fitness center) but I would use those criteria for actual shortlisting within an area.

I have stayed in Carrollton in the past on a short visit - too dull.

My questions that need your advice are as follows:

1. Are there neighborhoods / areas that you recommend I stay?

2. When I get to DFW, what is the best way to source an apartment? Would you recommend an online search or visiting a property agent?

3. If an agent is the best route, I will have a month to source a place to live. Any good firms you recommend?

Lastly, if my approach is wrong (zone in on neighborhoods and then properties), please do let me know how you would go about it - am a bit in the dark and could use any piece of advice I can get.

Much thanks and hope to see you soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 12:56 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,141 times
The only question I have is are good schools important? I know you said proximity of schools doesn't matter, but do you have children that will be attending public school?

If not there a A LOT of places around Dallas we can suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas