Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:09 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,215,929 times

Advertisements

I am a dance instructor relatively new to the DFW area. I would like to start growing my dance business here and I am looking for a dance studio space that I could rent by the hour. When I rented in a studio in Atlanta, the cost for my space was $20 per hour. Class is typically an hour long.

I live in North Arlington and would prefer a space here to start but I'm willing to travel up to 15-20 miles if there is a good studio space in another area. Quite naturally the studio needs to be in a high traffic area.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:33 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,243 times
I am not saying that it isn't out there, but I have never heard of rentable studio space with the intention of building your own business. Most studios I have ever worked with would rather build their own business. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I am not saying that it isn't out there, but I have never heard of rentable studio space with the intention of building your own business. Most studios I have ever worked with would rather build their own business. Good luck!
Most of the dance instructors I know rent out a space hourly in an existing studio. Only a few have their own. I may try to get my own studio eventually but I'm looking to a pre-existing one with time slots I can reserve to teach classes. This is not at all uncommon in the dance teaching business.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 AM

An important note: I'm also open to yoga studios with mirrors willing to rent out a time slot for a bellydance class.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Most of the dance instructors I know rent out a space hourly in an existing studio. Only a few have their own. I may try to get my own studio eventually but I'm looking to a pre-existing one with time slots I can reserve to teach classes. This is not at all uncommon in the dance teaching business.
It may be common in the business, but here in Dallas there are dozens of owner-operated studios (Preston Center Dance, Park Cities Dance, Power House of Dance, etc) as well as owner-operated finess / yoga studios (Sunstone, Bikram, Pure Barre, Pilates, etc). Having taken classes for the past 25 years in Dallas, I can tell you they all started out by starting their own studios and definitely do NOT allow independent instructors to rent their space.

I think you're going to need to think outside the box....maybe UT Arlington has studio space on campus that they'll rent out?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:42 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Maybe you could rent space at a Recreation Center. See what Arlington has in your area - or in an area that you are targeting.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Maybe you could rent space at a Recreation Center. See what Arlington has in your area - or in an area that you are targeting.

I've looked at rec centers here. They don't rent space, they have instructors come in and pay them an hourly fee, which isn't the kind of arrangement I'm looking for.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It may be common in the business, but here in Dallas there are dozens of owner-operated studios (Preston Center Dance, Park Cities Dance, Power House of Dance, etc) as well as owner-operated finess / yoga studios (Sunstone, Bikram, Pure Barre, Pilates, etc). Having taken classes for the past 25 years in Dallas, I can tell you they all started out by starting their own studios and definitely do NOT allow independent instructors to rent their space.

I think you're going to need to think outside the box....maybe UT Arlington has studio space on campus that they'll rent out?

Thanks for the advice. I think will just call around anyway and ask. I know dancers all over the country who rent studio space by the hour to teach their classes.

I am not at a point where I think I want to put down permanent roots in Texas so buying a building or fully leasing a commercial space isn't an option for me right now.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:53 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,741,813 times
I'm confused. You want to use another business' space to build your own clientele, but you aren't actually going to stay here?

My daughter was in drill team in HS, and I can honestly say not one of the 80+ girls who took dance classes went anywhere but an owner-operated studio. And of the girls I know who dance now, they are also at existing studios, not independent operators. Actually, I have heard of an independent but she had a small studio in her converted garage.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I'm confused. You want to use another business' space to build your own clientele, but you aren't actually going to stay here?

My daughter was in drill team in HS, and I can honestly say not one of the 80+ girls who took dance classes went anywhere but an owner-operated studio. And of the girls I know who dance now, they are also at existing studios, not independent operators. Actually, I have heard of an independent but she had a small studio in her converted garage.
I appreciate the feedback but clearly those who are answering aren't dance teachers and don't understand how studio usage works.

While there are people who own independent studios, they often offer different styles of dance and those dance teachers teaching different styles have to pay to use the space, either an hourly rate or a percent of the take. The same applies to yoga studios. The only time I've seen studio owners not renting out studio spaces is if they only teach one dance style or all of their teachers are "in-house" and are paid a wage.

Put more simply, I'm looking to be an independent contractor to rent time in a pre-existing studio. This is done everywhere. If you aren't a dance instructor yourself, you clearly won't understand what I am saying. Very few teachers I know from the east coast to the west cost and everywhere in between who teach the dance style I do own their own private studios. The rent hourly time slots or pay a monthly fee in the studios they teach in that are owned by someone else.

Many studio owners don't just make money teaching classes themselves, they make money renting their studio spaces out to other instructors as well.

The last studio I taught at was a ballet studio. I don't teach ballet. On the day that they did not have ballet and jazz classes, they rented hourly slots out to me, along with a tai chi instructor, who had the slot after mine. This is highly common.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 10-20-2014 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas