Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Crabtree View Post
I'm from Houston. Houston had a great night life. Main St. And Washington Ave were always the place to be every weekend. The people are also a lot more friendly. Dallas is just boring. I mean just google "Why is Dallas so..." And see what you get. The nightlife doesn't really exist. The people aren't too friendly. The ones who are that I've run into, are not from here. I run into quite a few people who feel like me, since we're only here for jobs. I don't want to bag on the city, but it's just honestly boring. And u have to pay tolls to go almost everywhere, the price of apartments and housing is going up fast, it's not as diverse as the other cities I've mentioned then my inlaws are here... but that's a personal issue lol. There are way better restaurants in Dallas and Austin.

As far as jobs go, there are a lot of them, and they pay well. At this point in my life, if I want to have fun, I just take a vacation somewhere else. But when I was 20. No way I'd move here. This is just my experience and a few of my colleagues who feel like me.
This is funny. Seriously, Im laughing that youre so crazy about Washington Ave. in Houston but cant seem to find anything here. Its really funny. :-I

The nightlife is no better or worse in Dallas than it is in Houston. In fact, I know people who have the opposite opinion that you do. Ive partied plenty in both cities and both have ups over the other (the Jazz and Hip Hop clubs are better in Houston, the gay nightlife is better in Dallas, etc.). My father and his family live in Houston, one of my best friends lives in Houston, and Im there at least once a month for work. I know both cities and youre overplaying the differences big time.

Dallas is not as diverse as Houston but its far more so than Austin. A big difference between Dallas and Houston is that most of Dallas' diversity is in the suburbs not the city.

As far as restaurants go, the biggest difference is the concentration vs. being spread out. Depending on what you want to eat, you have to drive to the burbs for it in Dallas where you really dont have to in Houston.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:30 PM

24 posts, read 28,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
This is funny. Seriously, Im laughing that youre so crazy about Washington Ave. in Houston but cant seem to find anything here. Its really funny. :-I

The nightlife is no better or worse in Dallas than it is in Houston. In fact, I know people who have the opposite opinion that you do. Ive partied plenty in both cities and both have ups over the other (the Jazz and Hip Hop clubs are better in Houston, the gay nightlife is better in Dallas, etc.). My father and his family live in Houston, one of my best friends lives in Houston, and Im there at least once a month for work. I know both cities and youre overplaying the differences big time.

Dallas is not as diverse as Houston but its far more so than Austin. A big difference between Dallas and Houston is that most of Dallas' diversity is in the suburbs not the city.

As far as restaurants go, the biggest difference is the concentration vs. being spread out. Depending on what you want to eat, you have to drive to the burbs for it in Dallas where you really dont have to in Houston.
Hey, that just my experience. The OP will most likely skip the burbs and will most likely live closer to the city. I just found more to do inside the loop in Houston, than when I lived in downtown Dallas.

My wife and her friends all moved to Houston in their 20s and moved back to Dallas in their 30s. Take that for what it's worth.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Hey, that just my experience. The OP will most likely skip the burbs and will most likely live closer to the city. I just found more to do inside the loop in Houston, than when I lived in downtown Dallas.

My wife and her friends all moved to Houston in their 20s and moved back to Dallas in their 30s. Take that for what it's worth.
Ok, and for every story like that there is one for people who moved to Dallas to let loose and move to Houston to settle down.

There is no significant difference between how "exciting" one is over the other. Its preference. Nothing more and nothing less. Some prefer the night scene in Dallas and others do in Houston. Frankly, I cant tell much of a difference and I go out all the time.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:42 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,671 times
Thanks for the replies. I would definitely have to live in a city although I'm not a big party person. I dont mind hanging out but clubs and such....not my thing. I just wanna make money lol ive been looking in houston also.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:51 PM

455 posts, read 578,582 times
Lots of hawt blonde chicks, great place for a guy in his 20s.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Ok, and for every story like that there is one for people who moved to Dallas to let loose and move to Houston to settle down.

There is no significant difference between how "exciting" one is over the other. Its preference. Nothing more and nothing less. Some prefer the night scene in Dallas and others do in Houston. Frankly, I cant tell much of a difference and I go out all the time.
Again, I gave MY point of view, as only I can do. I'm not speaking for everyone here. The OP may enjoy Dallas, and if he does, then he made the right choice. No need to reply to me with what u feel has the best experience, since your POV is not fact as well. The OP asked me to elaborate and I did.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:19 AM

11 posts, read 23,323 times
Agree. Dallas is a good place for work, not a good place for fun. Almost 9 of 10 of my friends want to move out but cannot find a desire job at the place they want.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:45 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
If you want to party and have fun, move to Austin or Houston. If you want to focus on your career, then move to Dallas. I moved here for a job, and I literally hate it (the city... not my job. Job's awesome), but my wife's from here, so I have to deal w/ it.
So what all did you do in Houston that you were deprived of in Dallas? Alot of people think Houston is the most boring city in the U.S. Just going by your rant you are a good example of being brought up to hate Dallas because you are from Houston. What you hate is the fact that Dallas is alot better than you want it to be because you are supposed to hate it...Open Your mind!!!

I definately prefer dallas over Houston but I dont HATE Houston....you cant be that miserable here being from Houston. Yo should be thankful that you can breathe........Quit going overboard to mislead people

Old 10-22-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
So what all did you do in Houston that you were deprived of in Dallas? Alot of people think Houston is the most boring city in the U.S. Just going by your rant you are a good example of being brought up to hate Dallas because you are from Houston. What you hate is the fact that Dallas is alot better than you want it to be because you are supposed to hate it...Open Your mind!!!

I definately prefer dallas over Houston but I dont HATE Houston....you cant be that miserable here being from Houston. Yo should be thankful that you can breathe........Quit going overboard to mislead people
This is hilarious since I have 0 bias. I meant to say that I came to Dallas from Houston. I actually grew up in Florida. But I'm sure with yor username,u have no bias.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
I'm from Houston. Houston had a great night life. Main St. And Washington Ave were always the place to be every weekend. The people are also a lot more friendly. Dallas is just boring. I mean just google "Why is Dallas so..." And see what you get. The nightlife doesn't really exist. The people aren't too friendly. The ones who are that I've run into, are not from here. I run into quite a few people who feel like me, since we're only here for jobs. I don't want to bag on the city, but it's just honestly boring. And u have to pay tolls to go almost everywhere, the price of apartments and housing is going up fast, it's not as diverse as the other cities I've mentioned then my inlaws are here... but that's a personal issue lol. There are way better restaurants in Dallas and Austin.

As far as jobs go, there are a lot of them, and they pay well. At this point in my life, if I want to have fun, I just take a vacation somewhere else. But when I was 20. No way I'd move here. This is just my experience and a few of my colleagues who feel like me.
I think you have a very skewed and one-sided view of cities. I'm not sure where you get them from (maybe were you spend your time in the city). Most people would agree that Austin gives Dallas a run for it's money when it comes to food. Also your diversity & just google statements are flat out false. If you want to "party" like you saw in Houston, check out Uptown, lower Greenville, McKinney Ave and even Deep Ellum.

Diversity(Almost identical)
Dallas:50.7% White, 25.0% Black or African American, 0.5% Native American, 2.9% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 17.2% from other races, and 2.7% from two or more races.

Houston: 49.3% White, 25.3% Black or African American, 0.4% Native American, 5.3% Asian, 0.1&% Pacific Islander, 16.5% from other races, and 3.2% from two or more races.

Google Statement(Almost identical)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas