Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 05:24 AM

88 posts, read 152,326 times

Advertisements

Yesterday was our first full day in Dallas and I spent most of it "lost". My gps couldn't save me from missing every exit and cementing the fact that I am horrible with directions.

My daughter and I were on our own while my husband checked out his new office downtown. We toured Parish in the morning and I really liked it. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. My daughter wants to spend the day there now.

After the visit we headed to lunch (got lost). I'm not even sure what part of town it was in. I have to say that was the theme of the day. After lunch We headed to Kate Weiser Chocolate (lost again...notice a theme). The chocolates were not only beautiful but delicious. We already have plans to go back and I am definitely taking some home to a good friend.

After, we headed to Northpark Mall (slightly lost but recovered quickly). I loved the wide corridors and all the art installations. It is stunning to walk through.

After the mall we headed back to Parish to attend their homecoming game. My daughter was introduced to a girl her age and they had a lot of fun. It was nice to go to a homecoming event that included all the kids that attended the school.

All in all it was a good day. We didn't get as much accomplished for our move as I would have liked but we did have fun. Today is house hunting so we can get a feel for the different areas and style of homes.

Any suggestions for a good, casual dinner tonight? No burgers since we have had those the last two nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 07:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
I'm glad your first day was mostly a success!! Dallas isn't too difficult to navigate once you get the hang of it...the entire north Dallas area is one big grid.

I'd recommend MiCocina for Tex-Mex tonight. There is one at Preston & Forest (not too far east of Hockaday) that is very family friendly and you'll see lots of private school families there. The restaurant is a Dallas institution and this location has a nice sidewalk patio too.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:46 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I'm glad your first day was mostly a success!! Dallas isn't too difficult to navigate once you get the hang of it...the entire north Dallas area is one big grid.

I'd recommend MiCocina for Tex-Mex tonight. There is one at Preston & Forest (not too far east of Hockaday) that is very family friendly and you'll see lots of private school families there. The restaurant is a Dallas institution and this location has a nice sidewalk patio too.
That is a good choice, or if you like pasta, next door is penne pomadora. Neither restaurant "is the best in Dallas," but both are solid choices, family friendly, and casual. Also, at Inwood and Lovers, there is a campisis restaurant. Very good food. Another Dallas tradition with lots of history (the one on Mockingbird by SMU was where Jack Ruby hung out before he killed our president).

I hope you enjoy the city.

As for Parrish, I don't have a kid there, but I have good friends who sent kids there that really liked it. The parents are very involved. The best example of that is their fund raiser and auction. It is arguably the biggest for any private school in Dallas, very well attended, raises a fortune, and they bring in big time entertainers (Darius Rucker, etc.). I have been several times and I was blown away.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:16 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Jack Ruby killed Lee Harvey Oswald, who killed JFK. But yeah, Campisi's is a Dallas tradition for good pizza and Italian food.

I'm not a Mi Cocina fan at all. "Home of the $8 machine-made frozen margarita." If you want Tex Mex, look at one of the Matt's restaurants, or Uncle Julios.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I'm not a Mi Cocina fan at all. "Home of the $8 machine-made frozen margarita." If you want Tex Mex, look at one of the Matt's restaurants, or Uncle Julios.
Hey, at least for $8 you get the strongest margarita in Dallas (Mambo Taxi).

Tex-Mex is all so personal- everyone has a favorite! I prefer MiCo, Mia's, or Manny's over Matt's. And have only had Uncle Julio's a few times but I have never been impressed.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:38 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
Chuy's on Knox St is a good option. I don't like MiCocina either.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:02 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Jack Ruby killed Lee Harvey Oswald, who killed JFK. But yeah, Campisi's is a Dallas tradition for good pizza and Italian food.

I went to the original Campisi's location on Mockingbird about a year after moving to Dallas. It has some great history (very Goodfellas-era type vibe) but I was not overly impressed with the food. It is average. My mom's side of the family is East Coast Italian so I have experienced some real good Italian over time.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:14 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,549 times
I'm glad you enjoyed Parish! I am a faculty member there, married to an adminstrator there, with 3 kids who attend. It's a wonderful school. The Homecoming game definitely gave you an idea of the vibe - we're a close community with a ton of family involvement. Glad you could make it!

Old 10-26-2014, 11:35 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Hey, at least for $8 you get the strongest margarita in Dallas (Mambo Taxi).

Tex-Mex is all so personal- everyone has a favorite! I prefer MiCo, Mia's, or Manny's over Matt's. And have only had Uncle Julio's a few times but I have never been impressed.
Agreed. Mambo Taxi is killer. It's what I use as a comparison whenever having a margarita somewhere new. Can't be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: