Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:09 AM

63 posts, read 109,093 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 with a toddler and infant and on average spend about $350-400 a month on groceries. We're always on the go on weekends, so we mostly eat out then. My husband and I usually pack our lunches 2-3 times a week. Curious how much everyone spends on their monthly groceries and how often you dine out as a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
We keep it pretty cheap. We are the same size as you (2.5 year old, 1 year old, wife and me). We eat at home at least 5 nights a week and neither of us eat out at lunch. We have a budget of $100 a week on groceries. My wife usually spends $60-80, but then another $20 on formula.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:20 AM

109 posts, read 151,771 times
We have 3 small kids and spend $2k per month at Whole Foods. I hate that place, but my wife loves it. It's a colossal ripoff.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 AM

533 posts, read 642,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlofCardigan View Post
We have 3 small kids and spend $2k per month at Whole Foods. I hate that place, but my wife loves it. It's a colossal ripoff.
That is a LOT of money for groceries!

Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 AM

63 posts, read 109,093 times
Quote:

Old 10-27-2014, 12:36 PM

96 posts, read 119,476 times
Quote:
Damnnnn....unless you're over-weighted and that would make sense.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:38 PM

96 posts, read 119,476 times
I have 3 kids and a wife - we spent about $500+ a month including dining out. We shop at WinCo - cheaper food prices there

Old 10-27-2014, 01:08 PM

244 posts, read 405,380 times
We're a family of two adults and a 4 year old. We eat in 4-5 nights a week, send the kiddo's lunch 5x per week, but adults buy lunch out. We also have a couple of extras for some dinners during the week. With only groceries included, we spend between right about $425 per month. We buy mostly organic fruits and veggies and stick to free range/pastured meet when it's available. If I had time to shop around or needed to cut the bill, I could probably get that down to $300 or less.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:57 PM

161 posts, read 240,641 times
Family of 5 with three kids under the age of 8, and we eat mostly at home, pack lunches for kids and DH, and our grocery budget is roughly $160/week. I do not account for paper products/cleaning supplies under grocery budget- we dine out approximately 1-2 x/week. I grocery shop between Central Market, Trader Joe's and the occasional traditional grocery store. I occasionally shop at Whole Foods but there's no way I could remain under budget and feed our entire family for the whole week. I also make it a point to purchase certain products organic (namely dairy and certain produce)

Old 10-27-2014, 03:15 PM

263 posts, read 410,641 times
Quote:
That makes me a little less guilty about spending 800-1000 per month at Whole Foods! But we are only 3 of us with a 6 year old. Also, we try to limit animal protein consumption but do buy quite a bit of fish.

Recently, I have been looking at alternatives to WF. Tom Thumb has significantly increased its organic offerings for a slightly lower price than WF. I looked at Greenling, the "organic" delivery - but I am a little concerned about the authenticity of their marketing as their organic assurance is based on trust (and is mostly not certified).

All that said, nobody comes close to WF regarding authenticity and rigor of labeling and transparency about what they sell. The other day at Tom Thumb, in the organic section with apples and pears, a board on top also said local. I was excited to find organic apples that are also local, and bought some for a couple of weeks. When I looked for the same at WF, they said they don't sell any as they are not grown in TX. I asked the TT staff a subsequent week, and they agreed the local sign was up in error (after 3-4 weeks)!!

Anybody has found other options for verifiable organic groceries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas