Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:57 PM

96 posts, read 119,461 times

Advertisements

We're going to put our house (2,125 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, with 26 solar panels, real hardwood floor, large kitchen with large island, large backyard, and with no issues around the house for $235,900 asking price) on the market next month. We wanted to know how quick we can sell our house (not based on the lowest price, but the right negotiable price)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 06:35 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
Not enough info. What year is the home? What are nearby comps going for, $ per sq ft? At $236k, you're at $111 per sq ft. I think you're going to be hard pressed to get that in Grand Prairie.

In McKinney, a hotter market area, prices are averaging just a bit above $100 per sq ft, with new construction being about $120 sq/ft.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:15 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Has a RE Agent shown you what is selling in your neighborhood ?
What school district are you in ?
Year ? Who built ?
Are you north of I-30, South of I-20 ?

The questions you are asking is the right questions to ask a local expert.
Very seldom do you see anyone on here discuss Grand Prairie.

JMO but solar panels do not add value to most homes.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:52 AM

77 posts, read 316,678 times
Which company did you use for your solar panels?

Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 AM

77 posts, read 316,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Year ? Who built ?

Why do you think having solar panels would not add value to the home?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoo82 View Post
Why do you think having solar panels would not add value to the home?
In his price range many buyers are 1st time homeowners who can barely afford a home. Add ons like this just cause the house to be more expensive and are not a necessity.

Also as someone who has seen massive hail storms in DFW over the years, I would suspect these would never last. Roofs usually get severely beat up about every 5 or so years. I doubt solar panels would last with baseball size hail.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:44 AM

See pix of the house (not listed on MLS yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Not enough info. What year is the home? What are nearby comps going for, $ per sq ft? At $236k, you're at $111 per sq ft. I think you're going to be hard pressed to get that in Grand Prairie.

In McKinney, a hotter market area, prices are averaging just a bit above $100 per sq ft, with new construction being about $120 sq/ft.
It was built in 2006

Quote:
Year ? Who built ?

1.) RE Agent - no not yet
2.) Grand Prairie Independent School District
3.) 2006
4.) South of I-20
5.) It was appraised that the solar panels are to raise the value of this home as I was told by lic. appraiser.

Quote:
In his price range many buyers are 1st time homeowners who can barely afford a home. Add ons like this just cause the house to be more expensive and are not a necessity.

Also as someone who has seen massive hail storms in DFW over the years, I would suspect these would never last. Roofs usually get severely beat up about every 5 or so years. I doubt solar panels would last with baseball size hail.
Im insured if the solar panels are damaged by hail and they can be replaced.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:11 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,659 times
most people value aesthetics over functionality so the panels may work against you. There's also the question of the panels being leased as opposed to owned. If leased, the new owners must commit to the transfer of the lease terms and that tends to scare people away. Personally, I would look at it as a benefit but I'm into sustainable design and a significant minority among home buyers. It may help if you provide 6 months of utility bills to show the benefit to prospective buyers. Money talks.

Also, it's great you have real hardwood floors but in most buyers eyes, that will not translate at all to higher value over a veneer product.
If you market and price your home for the discerning buyer, you will limit your market.

Try to catch some of the HGTV House Hunters episodes. Even though the program staged, it's sadly accurate as to what homebuyers value and are looking for in a home - granite counters, walk-in closets and stainless steel appliances :/

Old 10-28-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
most people value aesthetics over functionality so the panels may work against you. There's also the question of the panels being leased as opposed to owned. If leased, the new owners must commit to the transfer of the lease terms and that tends to scare people away. Personally, I would look at it as a benefit but I'm into sustainable design and a significant minority among home buyers. It may help if you provide 6 months of utility bills to show the benefit to prospective buyers. Money talks.

Also, it's great you have real hardwood floors but in most buyers eyes, that will not translate at all to higher value over a veneer product.
If you market and price your home for the discerning buyer, you will limit your market.

Try to catch some of the HGTV House Hunters episodes. Even though the program staged, it's sadly accurate as to what homebuyers value and are looking for in a home - granite counters, walk-in closets and stainless steel appliances :/
I forgot to add - I called SolarCity about scaring buyers when it comes to transfer the lease on their names. They said they get 150 transfers every month. So, I will have to see what happens next month when I put it on the market. Providing utility bills to show the benefit to the buyer would be an ideal!

Yes, we have granite counters, walk-in closets and stainless steel appliances as well.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:42 AM

Be patient... November and December are the 2 slowest months of the year. Especially after about Dec 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas