Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 06:15 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,295 times

Advertisements

After reading some of the threads pertaining to area malls, I thought I would pose this question - In the long term, do you think that a mall is a good or bad thing for the city/area it is intended to serve?

I personally think that it is a big gamble. Most tend to do well in the first few years, but after the "newness" wears off or another "better" one opens nearby, you risk ending up with an decaying eyesore that can't attract shoppers or businesses. On the flip side, however, a mall that is able to
cope with change while maintaining its reputation and base of shoppers would certainly be a benefit to the area it serves for many years.

Speaking as a longtime resident of the DeSoto/Lancaster area, I quit shopping at the Southwest Center Mall (formerly Red Bird) years ago. I preferred Town East Mall in Mesquite or the Parks Mall in Arlington, even though they were further out. It has deteriorated to an extent that I don't think it will last that much longer, especially with the new open-air mall opening in Cedar Hill this March.

In your opinion, which DFW area malls are doing well? Which are struggling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,879 times
Depends on the mall. If the owners don't invest (like VV or CC), it is a liability. Otherwise it is an asset (see Northpark).

Old 01-01-2008, 08:28 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Depends on the mall. If the owners don't invest (like VV or CC), it is a liability. Otherwise it is an asset (see Northpark).
Just like I say about apartment complexes - it takes quality management to make any property a long-term success. Northpark is a prime example. It's a heavily utilized and amazingly well maintained property. Strong management is key. It will be very interesting to see how Park Lane Place affects Northpark.

Brian

Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
After reading some of the threads pertaining to area malls, I thought I would pose this question - In the long term, do you think that a mall is a good or bad thing for the city/area it is intended to serve?

I personally think that it is a big gamble. Most tend to do well in the first few years, but after the "newness" wears off or another "better" one opens nearby, you risk ending up with an decaying eyesore that can't attract shoppers or businesses. On the flip side, however, a mall that is able to
cope with change while maintaining its reputation and base of shoppers would certainly be a benefit to the area it serves for many years.

Speaking as a longtime resident of the DeSoto/Lancaster area, I quit shopping at the Southwest Center Mall (formerly Red Bird) years ago. I preferred Town East Mall in Mesquite or the Parks Mall in Arlington, even though they were further out. It has deteriorated to an extent that I don't think it will last that much longer, especially with the new open-air mall opening in Cedar Hill this March.

In your opinion, which DFW area malls are doing well? Which are struggling?
Communities which strive for a diversified tax base will do the best to ward off potential *degentrification*. The problem with retail malls is that they can decline due to neglect or mismanagement, and they can become a blight. A smart city is going to plan to have retail and industrial sectors and incentives for businesses to relocate and stay.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:26 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
I live closer to Valley View and Galleria, but prefer to drive out to Stonebriar in Frisco if I go to a mall. I go to Northpark sometimes. I like it, but I'm really not their demographic (wealthy).

Stonebriar reminds me of Valley View when it was new and Prestonwood when it was new. It's just an exciting place for me to go. But, I have had a Stonebriar business owner tell me the mall is not making as much as people think it is and it's not getting the foot traffic that people think it is. I have no idea if that's right or not. It seems crowded to me. I like the stores it has - Barnes and Noble in the mall, Coldwater Creek, Chicos, and a few others. I only go to *any* mall a few times a year, but Stonebriar is my favorite and most useful to me.

I have never been to Willow Bend, Firewheel, The Parks in Arlington, Town East or the old Red Bird Mall.

I think there is a place for malls in Dallas, but like apartment complexes might need to be taken down after a few decades if they cease being popular. Valley View needs to be taken down. It's way past its prime.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:59 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Malls are an asset if the owners can take care of the upkeep. People in areas where there is decline need to take ownership, or we are going to have situations like those at Southwest Center or Valley View. And if someone like Macy's ends up departing (which will be the case at VV in a month or so), then ownership must find another capable store to occupy that empty space. If they can't, then that mall in question is in trouble. It's also going to depend on the surrounding area.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:17 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,362 times
NorthPark has always been successful. It's managed well, conveniently located and surrounded by the best retail demographic in the city. I can't imagine it ever suffering.

Valley View was all by itself in North Dallas when it opened in 1973 and held its own for many, many years until bigger and better malls and shopping areas opened nearby. I can't remember the last time I was at VV (20 years probably) but I remember noticing the decline in store quality and shoppers, in general, back then. It was obvious the "better heeled" weren't shopping VV. With so much competition within a few miles, they ought to knock it down and redevelop the land into office or some type of mixed use development. I'm no developer but it seems to me that a better use for the land would be something besides a shopping mall.

The problem with some malls is changing demographics and the overall decline of patrons and store quality - both of which go hand-in-hand. That's what has happened to Red Bird Mall, Irving Mall and other 2nd (3rd?) tier shopping malls. Forum 303 (a 30 year-old mall on the Grand Prairie/Arlington border was never anything to write home about but it was just torn down. Six Flags Mall was once a nice mall but it has declined over the years as the areas around it have deteriorated. I understand it's practically empty now.

The Parks Mall in South Arlington is okay but the clientele are making it go downhill. Frankly, the patrons that used to frequent Red Bird, Forum and Six Flags Malls have taken over the Parks, causing the better families in SW Arlington to shop elsewhere. Shopping in a sea of loud, obnoxious and rude apparent gang members is not pleasant. The Arlington Police Dept. has their hands full there, unfortunately.

Demographics play a huge role in a mall's success and, for better or worse, things change.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:33 PM

100 posts, read 455,458 times
I think what makes a mall successfull is its ability to meet the demands of the middle and upper class. I actually like the Parks Mall it fits the demographic around it. And has something for everyone. They even have a Coach store and a Cheesecake Factory in the mall. I was suprised when that happened. This is why it continues to thrive along with the addition of Arlington Highlands. The mall has to be able to change with the area. And you are correct the police have had to crackdown due to the negative element making itself known in the area. I still love North Park it is an experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas