Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:34 AM

948 posts, read 1,138,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I turn mine to the off position this time of year.
If we don't get a rain every 7-10 days I hit the Manual Button and let it cycle.

If we enter a dry period I will turn it back to the On position to maybe water 1 day a week.
I also cut the minutes back in the winter to maybe half of what they are in the summer.

You do need to water but you need to be tuned into the weather / rain and adjust accordingly.
Back in CO we winterize the lawn, that is, use air compressor to blow out water from all sprinkler lines so it won't burst out when it freezes. We completely shut off water until following spring. Is that not applicable here? From what you saying, I have to just turn off the control and if it goes below freezing (like last year), wouldn't it be a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 10:13 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
We do not need to drain our systems here in DFW.
They are deep enough where our ground does not freeze.

You do need to disconnect your water hoses from the faucets so they don't hold water.
I would also buy some of those Bib covers and install over faucets to protect against hard freezes.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:48 AM

57 posts, read 96,296 times
We are new to texas and new to the cold weathr. I know the outer faucets needs to be drained off. I was going to ask about winterizing the sprinkler system. Does this means that we don't have to drain the sprinkler system and it won't damage the pipeline when the weather falls below freezing levels? Thanks!

Old 11-02-2014, 03:16 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Yes it is time to turn off your sprinkler system. This is from the City of Frisco;

Weekly Lawn Watering Advice
The recommendation for Monday (10/27) - Sunday (11/2) is 0 inches on your trash collection day.

With cooler temperatures, we have reached the time of year when you can turn your sprinkler system OFF, because most grasses are going dormant. As a reminder, over-seeding and watering cool season grasses such as rye is prohibited in Stage 3 Water Restrictions. Residents may hand-water, if needed, using an automatic shut-off nozzle.

And don't listen to "watering your foundation year around" enthusiasts. This summer was not hot and dry enough to warrant watering your foundation. It is a myth that foundations in Dallas need continuos watering.
Those recommendations are coming from NTMWD. It's in their interest for people to NOT water. They are going to charge City of Frisco (and 46 other member and customer cities) one lump sum for water whether it is used or not. This number is based on the highest usage for that city ever, regardless of what the city is currently using.

It's like McDonald's charging you for 4 Big Macs because once you ordered 4, but this time you only order, and are provided 3.

NTMWD cannot provide the capacity that they are charging cities water for and therefore want everyone to not water.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:12 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Even dormant grass needs water. It's not dead, it's still alive, and it needs water to stay alive if you want it to be green in the spring. You will water only once a week, or even every other week if it rained that week, so it's not much water, but you still need to water in the winter. As someone said above, don't do it during the night like in the hotter months, as you don't want the roots to freeze. Water during the day.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:24 PM

477 posts, read 1,051,246 times
I've lived here 2 years and have a big St. Aug lawn. I have never watered it in the winter(usually starting mid-Nov) and come spring it's one of the Top 3 looking lawns in the neighborhood.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:27 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Do you know what other reasons you might want to water in North Texas ?

Old 11-02-2014, 08:14 PM

477 posts, read 1,051,246 times
I run my soaker hose once a week around foundation pretty much year round.

I've seen no need to water my lawn in the winter, but then again I know how to take care of my lawn properly. I always cut at max length, I mulch all clippings, I fertilize at appropriate times, apply per emergent appropriately, and water correctly to encourage deep roots. This regime keeps my lawn looking great all spring, summer, and a good bit of fall. I'll definitely have stopped watering it by Thanksgiving and probably won't start back up again until March sometime, all dependent on temps of course. This hasn't negatively effected my lawn at all, so I'll continue on this course of action. I don't think dormant lawns need to be watered all winter.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:30 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I turn mine to the off position this time of year.
If we don't get a rain every 7-10 days I hit the Manual Button and let it cycle.

If we enter a dry period I will turn it back to the On position to maybe water 1 day a week.
I also cut the minutes back in the winter to maybe half of what they are in the summer.

You do need to water but you need to be tuned into the weather / rain and adjust accordingly.

Your soil should be maintained with an even moisture. Not too wet and not too dry.
In your situation, you might leave it to ON if you can't properly watch the moisture. (But cut back on the time and days)
That's about right.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:06 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Yes it is time to turn off your sprinkler system. This is from the City of Frisco;

Weekly Lawn Watering Advice
The recommendation for Monday (10/27) - Sunday (11/2) is 0 inches on your trash collection day.

With cooler temperatures, we have reached the time of year when you can turn your sprinkler system OFF, because most grasses are going dormant. As a reminder, over-seeding and watering cool season grasses such as rye is prohibited in Stage 3 Water Restrictions. Residents may hand-water, if needed, using an automatic shut-off nozzle.

And don't listen to "watering your foundation year around" enthusiasts. This summer was not hot and dry enough to warrant watering your foundation. It is a myth that foundations in Dallas need continuos watering.
Look, that information is absurdly bad. In some parts of DFW one can get away with not watering some winters and not watering one's foundation. In other parts of town that same strategy will lead to a ruined foundation within a few years.

Frisco and other cities want folks to turn their sprinklers off and only run a full cycle when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: