Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:37 PM

7 posts, read 51,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I appreciate that you are trying to be condescending in order to make your point, but really, give it a rest. There is no need for it. It's my opinion that people will react much more strongly when someone calls the landlord and cops without speaking to them first rather than a knock on the door with a polite request to turn it down before escalating the situation. Anyways, I've said my peace in this thread and am done. Good luck all, be safe and happy New Year!
I only appear condescending toward people who advocate completely illogical and potentially dangerous courses of action to honest people seeking advice. To restate your argument, you caution that people can react badly to otherwise polite requests, yet you recommend that this poor lady should go down and confront the guy anyway! That's insane! As someone who I'm assuming is a CHL carrier, you of all people should know that's a bad idea.

Furthermore, your assertion that, without any direct contact, stereo guy would somehow magically deduce that neighbor lady called the cops on him is unlikely at best. If it's as bad as she stated, half the building has probably already complained about him. How would he figure out that it was her, and even if he did, why would he do something even worse that would guarantee another visit from the fuzz? If I call the cops on somebody and the next day my tires are slashed, it would take a 1st-day-on-the-job rookie cop about 3 seconds to figure out who the likely suspect is and give him a free ride to Sterrett.

I'm not attacking you personally, and my perceived tone is what it is for better or worse, but your advice is seriously flawed and deserves to be pointed out as such so the OP doesn't do something she regrets based on it.

We do agree on one thing: everyone be safe. Don't take matters into your own hands if you don't have to.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:40 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntmg05 View Post
I only appear condescending toward people who advocate completely illogical and potentially dangerous courses of action to honest people seeking advice. To restate your argument, you caution that people can react badly to otherwise polite requests, yet you recommend that this poor lady should go down and confront the guy anyway! That's insane! As someone who I'm assuming is a CHL carrier, you of all people should know that's a bad idea.

Furthermore, your assertion that, without any direct contact, stereo guy would somehow magically deduce that neighbor lady called the cops on him is unlikely at best. If it's as bad as she stated, half the building has probably already complained about him. How would he figure out that it was her, and even if he did, why would he do something even worse that would guarantee another visit from the fuzz? If I call the cops on somebody and the next day my tires are slashed, it would take a 1st-day-on-the-job rookie cop about 3 seconds to figure out who the likely suspect is and give him a free ride to Sterrett.

I'm not attacking you personally, and my perceived tone is what it is for better or worse, but your advice is seriously flawed and deserves to be pointed out as such so the OP doesn't do something she regrets based on it.

We do agree on one thing: everyone be safe. Don't take matters into your own hands if you don't have to.
Well, go back and read my first post and then yours. I advocate a conservative approach
Quote:
Before involving the police, I would make sure to have a face to face conversation with the neighbors. Maybe they did not get the note. Offer up some sort of compromise - certain times to play the music or certain periods of time in which they can blast the music.
You advocate an uncomproming approach with calling the cops after the leasing office has been notified.
Quote:
Whatever you do, don't be wishy washy or compromise. There is NO compromise for that situation... only various degrees to which you get screwed by some ******* with too much stereo and not enough brains.
I'm confortable in the logic and prudence of my suggestion.

Your faith that the DPD will come in and wisk away the offender for more than a few hours once retribution begins is what is dangerous and naive. Without evidence and/or a witness a class C misdemeanor won't even get close to making it to a trial assuming an overworked d.a. does not throw it out in the first place. Maybe the now p.o.'d neighbor knows it's her who called, maybe he doesn't. But why chance that. The whole point is not to escalate a situation like this. Calling the police will only do so.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
I do believe the OP has enough information from this thread to make a prudent decision on how to handle this particular situation. Thanks for the contributions everyone.

[center][/center]

Old 01-02-2008, 07:47 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
I do believe the OP has enough information from this thread to make a prudent decision on how to handle this particular situation. Thanks for the contributions everyone.

Thank you, da jammer....threads sure turn confrontational in a flash.....today I am walking downstairs to discuss the problem face to face, as a considerate, tactful neighbor....we shall see what happens. I'm willing to bet the gentleman is very nice about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas