Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,107 times

Advertisements

We just sold our home in Denton, and for deades Denton ISD had very good schools. But this year DISD made a decision that is going to hurt the school kids. I was talking with my daughter (teaches in another district) and my grandson who is a student in DISD, as well as my ex-neighbor, a teacher in DISD, and found out that actual teaching has gone out the window.

It set up a testing procedure to mimic the state school test. Then to assure that 'all kids pass' (yes that is their term) the teachers cannot grade homework. For that matter, math teachers are not even inspecting the homework to see if it was done right. Late homework? No problem. You can turn in assignments for any class weeks late, no problem. All tests will be skewed to insure that they are meeting the state test so the kids can pass the test.

To say that the teachers are frustrated is a understatement. Oh, they take the test, you say. No, they take the test...flunk they take the test again...oops. Now the teacher has to stay late (my grandson's math teacher routinely stays till 6pm for 'tutoring' the kids). They have to stay late to teach because they are not allowed to use tried and proven teaching methods during the normal school day. Then they take the test again, wash, lather repeat ad infinitum until they pass. No matter how many times they take the test.

So there is no teaching of the actual methodology of how things work, how math actually works, the logic behind English structure or math structure. Just 'teach to the test'.

So please keep your kids out of Denton ISD or be prepared to do a lot of at-home teaching, because you won't get it in the schools now. I am just glad my daughter is willing to do the teaching necessary for her kids. But she may move them into her district if things don't improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:33 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Parents need to go to the district board meetings and complain vehemently each meeting--
the newspapers are there and believe me this would get big play in the papers
the only reason it hasn't by now is that the district is not making it known publically because it knows what the rebound would be...
I totally agree that this is criminal behavior and for the primary reason that it won't work to enhance test scores...
and I am a retired English teacher who routinely stayed at school til 6 to turor or grade papers
My pet peeve was that we could not give an actual grade below 50 for any work done/not done--
so a child who never did any work or who just made no effort would get a 50 as the low grade on report card
the district got too much flak from parents when a report card showed an 18 for a 6 wks avg

Personally I always allowed retakes on tests (until I had reviewed the test w/students in class) and makeup work at a reduced % to fill in missing grades and allowed extra work to raise averages == if a student wanted to pass my class and was willing to learn and work--
s/he could do it--
work being the factor mainly--

Old 11-11-2014, 04:50 PM

24 posts, read 39,206 times
Does this include Lantana elementary schools? thx

Old 11-11-2014, 06:31 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,093,624 times
It's just like anything else... Quality has decreased significantly in most school systems over the past 20 years. Even colleges have reduced their standards by a large percentage.

I took about a decade off after I got my undergrad degree, when I went back for my Masters I was about 12-13 years older than most students. I couldn't believe how EASY testing was compared to when I was in college the first time. Just for kicks, I signed up for a company sponsored college introduction/job fair type thing. In return, we got to tour the campus and had free reign to sit in on classes, etc.

I was shocked at just how easy the standards were. But it's not the fault of the teachers. They have their hands tied as to what and even how they are allowed to teach these days, and it's sad.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:44 PM

Joellen1: this is a district-wide edict from the administration. All kids MUST pass, period. Learning is secondary. The test is all.

Sigh....

Old 11-12-2014, 10:46 PM

108 posts, read 307,577 times
This is happening all over the country. There was an article in the NYTimes recently about the Common Core backlash from parents and teachers. Teachers and administrators' hands are tied and public school quality is going down the drain.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:38 PM

Actually, in Texas, CC was pulled, allowing the districts to set their own lesson plans. Problem is when they back-door CC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: