Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
"Put me through to a retention agent now, I'm going to cancel my services"

"Here is what your competitors are offering new customers. If you can't match their rate, I'm leaving" (If they have a monopoly in your neighborhood, say that you're cutting the cord and only watching netflix, and see what the lowest rate is they'll offer, and then say you'll take it.)
Yup, I've successfully done this with DirecTV a couple of times. I just say "retention department" or "cancel" when the voice prompt asks me what I am calling about. I always tell them that I know I am out of contract but I would like to stay with DirecTV (I really would, it's such a pain to switch). And then I ask them what they can offer me because I'm willing to sign another 2 year contract.

This summer I got 2 free DVRs and free DVR service for a year. They also gave me a $15/month credit for the life of the contract. Prior to that we didn't have any DVRs (I know, living in the stone age). The lady was very nice, although at first she offered me only 1 DVR and said I would have to pay $99 for the other one. I asked if she could throw them both in for free. She finally agreed after looking at something in my account. The whole conversation was about 7 minutes. I never demanded anything and I was very upfront that I was looking to see what kind of deal they could make me. But I was always nice about it. Maybe I've been lucky that the providers have worked with me and given me decent deals.

I've also done something similar with T-Mobile when my contract expired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 05:10 PM

16 posts, read 17,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggierk View Post
It is a big ordeal and that is why it took me months to call.
Some of them are only open M-F 9-6.
I should just have all their numbers on cellphone and call while taking walk at lunch.
My 12-month contract for cable and internet with UVerse expired last month and suddenly I saw a $50 raise in my bill. Took me a week to call them, was on the phone for more than an hour, finally ended up cancelling the service and transferring it to my wife's name. Since she was a new customer we got all the promotions that were offered for a new line.

If you think about it, there is no difference if they offered the same discounts to existing customers. It would in fact have saved them some money.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:13 PM

509 posts, read 1,261,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
"Put me through to a retention agent now, I'm going to cancel my services"

"Here is what your competitors are offering new customers. If you can't match their rate, I'm leaving" (If they have a monopoly in your neighborhood, say that you're cutting the cord and only watching netflix, and see what the lowest rate is they'll offer, and then say you'll take it.)
I would love to follow this advice but Verizon is pretty much our only internet provider. They've hiked my bill by about $7 or so and I'm sure it'll just keep going up. Any tips on how someone can negotiate when they pretty much have a monopoly. I "think" Time Warner could be another option but no way am I changing to them.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 PM

948 posts, read 1,138,944 times
I assume you are talking about electricity and its not really a big deal switching just call the new company and tell them the date you wanted it switched over. I didnt check with my existing company when I switched. I signed up new contract with new company and then the old company said they could give me better rates if I stayed. But too late..

Old 11-13-2014, 09:13 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
AT&T U-verse is the same way. They've been slowly jacking up my bill for months and now it's $50 more per month than it was 12 months ago. Same "services."

I'll be calling them this weekend to complain; calling billing is always an ordeal that lasts quite a while.

Every year I renew discounts with ATT. I get 40 off internet, 20 off TV and 10 off VOIP Telephone.. 70 off my bill and we go through the dance every March for last 5 years. They always cave.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 AM

218 posts, read 336,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I assume you are talking about electricity and its not really a big deal switching just call the new company and tell them the date you wanted it switched over. I didnt check with my existing company when I switched. I signed up new contract with new company and then the old company said they could give me better rates if I stayed. But too late..
Yes, electricity..
Tried to work with the existing provider and when they refused switched to another provider in the next hour.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:57 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
AT&T U-verse is the same way. They've been slowly jacking up my bill for months and now it's $50 more per month than it was 12 months ago. Same "services."

I'll be calling them this weekend to complain; calling billing is always an ordeal that lasts quite a while.
I just call Uverse and ask for the customer retention person. I tell them I leaving and they give me my discounts and rebates.

I have to do this every March when my 1 year is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas