Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 11:15 AM

22 posts, read 59,700 times

Advertisements

Moving to the area in the next month or two. Wil most likely be in Frisco, Coppell or Plano. I have two questions:

1.) My 15yo daughter has a learner's permit. Is she going to have to go through the entire process again for a TX permit?

2.) Schools here at home are on block scheduling. Meaning she'll come to TX with 4 completed credits from this year's first semester, and will have just started the semester working towards the next 4. Does anyone know how the schools approach that? Will she get thrown into 7 courses and just bust her butt to finish those, leaving her with a total of 11 credits for the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 11:26 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,313,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosadelic View Post
1.) My 15yo daughter has a learner's permit. Is she going to have to go through the entire process again for a TX permit?
See section on transferring license from out-of-state: Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/graduateddriver.htm - broken link)

Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 PM

3,808 posts, read 8,692,630 times
There are some schools in the area that are on block scheduling. 5 of the 7 HS in Garland ISD are that way. Their 2 newest (Rowlett and Sachse) are on Trimester. (Don't ask me whose brilliant plan that was!)

Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,726,605 times
My son (16) moved here w/ a license from another state, so I'm not sure about a permit, but I would do this before you move. This was a snag for us in getting him in TX license - we waited two hours not realizing we needed this, and then had to have the registrar from his old school fax a letter to his new school to verify his previous enrollment:

If the person has not graduated from high school or obtained their GED, verification of attendance in a school out-of-state may be shown by presenting a letter from the school principal on school stationary or letterhead stating that the student attended school and met the minimum attendance for class credit (at least 80 days) in each class they were enrolled in the fall or spring semester immediately preceding the current semester and were currently enrolled until transfer to Texas. They must also be currently enrolled in school.

I also had to show that my son had driver's ed and his social security card.

As far as block scheduling, that might be an issue. My son also had block scheduling at his old school, we waited until the end of the school year to move (my husband came out before us to start his job). Call a high school and ask.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,371,854 times
I think Lewisville schools are on block scheduling, too. You just have to find out from your specific school district. Check their websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas