Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 15,644 times

Advertisements

Need some help, looking to relocate near Dallas. Korean American, lived in Southern California all of our lives. Corporate relocation firm suggests Highland Park/University Park area. I understand they have great schools for kids etc...
I also understand that Highland Park is called the "Bubble" as well...Would like a gated community/affluent/safe area...but also don't want to feel out of place as a minority. Any ideas/suggestions on areas I should consider?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 12:56 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal-Texas View Post
Need some help, looking to relocate near Dallas. Korean American, lived in Southern California all of our lives. Corporate relocation firm suggests Highland Park/University Park area. I understand they have great schools for kids etc...
I also understand that Highland Park is called the "Bubble" as well...Would like a gated community/affluent/safe area...but also don't want to feel out of place as a minority. Any ideas/suggestions on areas I should consider?
Thanks in advance
Well, Park Cities is the most affluent area in all of DFW, with single family detached homes basically starting at $1 million and going up from there (which I know is not "a lot" for a house by SoCal standards but is here). It's also overwhelmingly (90%+) white. It may be perfectly welcoming to minorities but you definitely would be a minority there, if that makes any sense.

Also, we have no idea where you'll be working. Toyota is in the process of setting up shop here, but that is far north of Park Cities near the Plano/Frisco border (20+ miles away from HP/UP), so if you're part of that relo then HP/UP would not be the best fit.

Plano is north of the city of Dallas, has excellent schools and considerable diversity, including sizable Asian populations (can't speak specifically to Korean). That said, there are diverse communities throughout the metroplex, and at least some of those are affluent and "safe" as well.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:11 PM

212 posts, read 459,411 times
What is your budget?

Old 12-18-2014, 02:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Your budget will dictate it. Highland Park is very affluent but not diverse at all.

Carrollton isnt as affluent, but its the main spot for Korean immigrants in the Dallas area. Koreans are around 7% of the population of Carrollton so you wouldnt feel out of place there.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:18 PM

125 posts, read 191,073 times
There aren't any places that a "minority" would feel out of place here in Dallas. If it were me asking the question, I'd take the "korean" part out of the title since, that part isn't really important.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:25 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I grew up in the Park Cities and several of my life-long friends were minorities there (Chinese, Jewish, Muslim) back when less than 2% of the students were minorities. The biggest divide in the Park Cities is economic, not skin color or religion. As long as you can hang with the masses in HPISD ($3k/week summer camps, pricey competitive athletics, summer & winter vacations, dining out, etc), your new friends and neighbors probably won't give a second thought to you being Korean. You're like them. If you'll be scraping up pennies every month to pay a mortgage on the tiniest house on a busy street in HPISD, you're likely to feel a lot more like an outsider (regardless of skin color & religion)....although families do choose that life to give their kids the best academic opportunity.

I live in Preston Hollow (just north of the Park Cities) and have two Korean families on my block. One has kids at Catholic schools and the other family is at Hockaday. Again, not a ton but more than zero and both seem happy. We have become good friends with one of the families.

In the end, you'll have to decide which is the most important:
1. Shortest commute + best schools but little diversity
2. Further out commute + great schools + lots of diversity

Old 12-18-2014, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 15,644 times
Thanks for the guidance everyone...commute would be to downtown Dallas so no issues there. Just looking for a new area to call Home. Looks like an "avg" price for a home in the Park Cities area 1.5 mill or so....similar to So Cal.
Appreciate all of you taking the time to answer

Old 12-19-2014, 01:44 PM

25 posts, read 37,220 times
Happy hunting and welcome to Dallas! I just moved here myself about 1 1/2 years ago and really like it. I am hispanic and live in Preston Hollow which is overwhelmingly anglo but the neighbors are friendly were welcoming when we moved in.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:58 AM

17 posts, read 26,695 times
For a Kperson I would recommend Plano, Carrolton, Addison, Las Colinas. "Ktown" is off 35 and 635 but no one really lives there and it's kinda run down but that's where you can NRB, drink, and hang out at night. Theres also one in Carrolton which is more upscale but more of a shopping center, both places have JJB. Hmart is in Carrolton and Plano and Ktown. I grew up in Richardson and used to live in West LA. Asian community in Dallas is very tight and everyone knows everyone, not as outgoing as California. But if your working in downtown the commute is going to suck unless you take the DART, which a lot of my friends do who work downtown and live in the burbs. When I move back I'm going to live near White Rock Lake, Addison, or Richardson.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:54 PM

65 posts, read 122,887 times
Most Koreans live in Plano Allen frisco flower mound lewisville... Just follow all the church/restaurants/shops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas