Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 10:46 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,834,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
As I have said a million times, the likelihood of you or your house getting hit by a tornado in the DFW area is minuscule. We just don't get that many of them here, and the few that we do get usually do not do major damage. Now, if you choose to live in Granbury or Lancaster, or any of the other communities to the south of I20, then the odds go up slightly.

Think of this: how old is your house? If it's a pier and beam, it's at least 40 years old, right? It pretty likely that your house has NEVER been hit by a tornado!

If you are really worried about it, then waste several thousand $ and put a tornado shelter in your backyard.
With all do respect ChristieP you shouldn't be banned from giving any tornado preparedness advice. Tornadoes can and will happen anywhere if conditions are favorable for their development.Tornadoes don't pick and choose what region or community to hit. It's post like this that get people killed. Tornadoes do and will strike any part of the metroplex or any region for that matter if conditions are favorable for their development.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 12-27-2015 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 11:40 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,834,996 times
Quote:
Most,if not all, of the people killed in yesterday's tornadoes were IN THEIR CARS ON I30! One other was a baby who was ripped from its father's arms as he ran from their mobile home to seek shelter. Again and again, the old advice about seeking shelter in an interior closet or bathroom proved itself to be true.
The irony of this post. The same poster that has stated on numerous occasions that DFW tornado threat is minuscule at best and large, destructive, and deadly tornadoes don't strike DFW area but strike north and south of town and even told a fellow poster that buying a tornado shelter was a waste of money has the audacity to call out tornado victims for their ignorance regarding the matter. Do you not think that your statements and comments over the years regarding tornado safety and precautions has helped lead to this very ignorance you speak of? Why should someone take the necessary precautions when a tornado warning is issued when folks like you spew out that tornadoes are not a big deal here and tornadoes don't strike DFW. Heck, why take shelter in the closet, bathtub, or get off the highway and find shelter in a sturdy building away from glass windows if tornadoes only strike south of town.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 12-27-2015 at 11:50 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 12:19 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The irony of this post. The same poster that has stated on numerous occasions that DFW tornado threat is minuscule at best and large, destructive, and deadly tornadoes don't strike DFW area but strike north and south of town and even told a fellow poster that buying a tornado shelter was a waste of money has the audacity to call out tornado victims for their ignorance regarding the matter. Do you not think that your statements and comments over the years regarding tornado safety and precautions has helped lead to this very ignorance you speak of? Why should someone take the necessary precautions when a tornado warning is issued when folks like you spew out that tornadoes are not a big deal here and tornadoes don't strike DFW. Heck, why take shelter in the closet, bathtub, or get off the highway and find shelter in a sturdy building away from glass windows if tornadoes only strike south of town.
There are nearly 7 million people in all of DFW. Since 1952, there had been 17 fatalities from tornadoes in Dallas and Tarrant counties before the 12/26/15 storms (don't have the numbers for Collin, Rockwall or Denton counties at hand). At least 3 of the 11 who perished in these storms were IN CARS at the time.

And NOBODY here has said "don't take shelter in an interior room in your house". Rather, they have said that DRIVING TO SOME OTHER LOCATION is a bad idea.

Even AFTER yesterday's storms, the chances of a tornado actually hitting YOU, personally (whoever "you" are) remain pretty darn low. If you get into an interior closet or bathroom ("in the bathtub with a mattress or similar over you if possible"), you're about as protected as you can be and are very likely to suffer little physical harm, unless it's an extremely strong storm that hits you directly (and the chances of THAT happening are extremely low. There has yet to be an EF5 tornado reported in either Dallas or Tarrant county, at least since 1952 and possibly longer.

And FWIW, the cousin of a friend of mine had his house severely damaged by one of those tornadoes, so it's not like I'm ignorant of the fact that people's lives are impacted. But I also know that making rash decisions based on emotion rather than reason is a bad idea.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:35 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Thanks, Sync. Some people here obviously can't read.

For the record, my sister's house was less than 1/4 mile from the Rowlett tornado. She and her family (and pets) took cover in their interior bathroom, and were fortunate to escape with only minor roof and tree damage.

Over and over every spring (typical DFW tornado season) the newscasters tell people how to take cover on their homes, and to NEVER get in a car when there is an approaching tornado or severe storm. Those of us who have lived here for decades know the drill. Those who ignore that advice do so at their own peril.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:23 PM

216 posts, read 343,788 times
Quote:
But you'd need to be underground, not walking around NorthPark, to be in a safer place during a tornado warning. NorthPark doesn't have any underground garages like Mockingbird Station & Park Lane do.
I was actually at NP during this last storm and they have a basement in Dillards. Who knew! We sat down there for quite awhile. They handled it pretty well. It was actually pretty crowded/weird when we came topside to leave. There were sooo many people there. If it had hit NP - those people that were not down below (a LOT of them) - would have been very hurt or worse.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:53 PM

161 posts, read 260,163 times
If you feel the need to purchase a shelter you can get on the north central Texas safe room rebate from FEMA. It will pay for half the cost. Most people on the wait list opt out when it is their turn. You can get an in ground shelter starting at $1.5k with the rebate. An in house safe room will run a little bit more. The paperwork is a pain and it is usually 6 months later when the rebate is received.

It might even knock a few bucks off the home owner policy depending on the company.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:43 AM

684 posts, read 811,822 times
Isnt it a good idea to take cover under the bridges and highways if you guys know what i am talking about? I remember back in school in Plano, they said if you are driving to pull over in an underpass and get tucked inside it.

If an in ground shelter is only a few thousand dollars, why not? Does your life have a price? I mean we spend thousands on cars and gifts , why not a shelter? Just saying.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:51 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,102,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Isnt it a good idea to take cover under the bridges and highways if you guys know what i am talking about? I remember back in school in Plano, they said if you are driving to pull over in an underpass and get tucked inside it.
No, highway overpasses are not safe places to seek shelter during a tornado. Its a myth.

Tornado Myths, Facts, and Safety - NOAA/National Climatic Data Center.

These are the recommended safety precautions for people caught outdoors during a tornado:
  • If you have time, get to a sturdy structure for shelter. Hail and lightning also often accompany tornadoes.
  • If you have no time, or there are no sturdy structures nearby, find a low place in the landscape and lay down. Do not shelter under a highway overpass if it can be avoided.
  • If you are in a car, it is recommended that you abandon your vehicle to seek shelter. You will generally be safer outside the vehicle than in it.
  • Stay as low as possible. Not only do winds increase with height above the ground, but the more exposed your body is, the more likely you will be struck by flying debris and seriously injured or killed.
  • Avoid sheltering by solitary objects or groups of trees. Lightning often occurs with tornadoes.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:01 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
If you have to go outside to get in a shelter, you risk being struck by flying debris/objects, hail, and lightning. Sheltering in an interior closet or bathroom, preferably under a mattress, is standard practice. In an underground shelter, you also have the risk of being buried under debris, which will significantly delay search & rescue! As I have said before, AND HAVE BEEN MISINTERPRETED ON, the risk of major tornadoes requiring underground shelters, such as an F5, in north Texas is very low. The F4 in Garland was the first one EVER in DFW!

If you really want to spend money on a tornado shelter in Texas, get a "safe" room in your house.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:48 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
I hope they are not doing this...this is about the worst thing you can do.

A bridge overpass acts as a restriction on highly pressurized, fast moving air. Its like placing you thumb over a hose of water. The air, like the water in the hose, actually speeds up. Combine that with flying debris, and it can be a deadly combination. Several people took shelter under an overpass on I-35 when a tornado hit Moore, OK back in 1999. Two were killed, and several others sustained violent and gruesome injuries from flying debris.

Quote:
I have said before, AND HAVE BEEN MISINTERPRETED ON, the risk of major tornadoes requiring underground shelters, such as an F5, in north Texas is very low. The F4 in Garland was the first one EVER in DFW!
Oh god. Please stop. I have held my tongue, but add me to the list of people who have been really bothered by how many posts on here have blown off the tornado threat in this area. And frankly I do not feel most of the general population here takes tornadoes as near as seriously as they should. Maybe walking around a neighborhood that was just flattened by one and helping friends pick through what's left of their lives as I did 2 years ago has given me a healthy respect that many here lack.

Not only is your post is inaccurate (there have been fatal F4s in Granbury in 2013 and in Lancaster in 1994, as well as several more within 100 miles), it is highly irresponsible. An F3 with 206 mph winds will maim and kill just as much as an F4 with 207 mph winds. And not to scare anyone, but given DFWs high population density, it would not take an F5 or F4 to cause a lot of damage.

Not sure if you've ever met someone who has been injured in a tornado. I met several when I was still in Oklahoma. All but one went through something smaller than an F5 (and there probably is a reason for that as you chances of survival in that situation are low)...I would not wish what they went through on my worst enemy. Not to be crude, but it's really one of the worst ways to go.

I think everyone agrees that DFW is not in the core bullseye of Tornado Alley, but the risk is still pretty high here. And more importantly than that, there has been a definite uptick in tornado activity (this past year was a record for this area). There isn't some magical force field that protects Dallas...it is a real threat that should be taken seriously.

If anything good can come out of the past few days, I hope these attitudes like this are on their way out.

Last edited by #1soonerfan; 12-30-2015 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: