Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 09:27 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj3773 View Post
its not that i am extremely worried about it......i know the odds are miniscule, just got me thinking about where i would go if we knew there was a day where in a 2 hour window we had a high likelihood of seeing a tornadao. Spending 1 hour in a big public building or underground parking shelter sounds safer than a 50 year old one story with absolutely no defense against a tornado.

as far as the storm shelter, its not worth the 4k for a 1 in a 1000 chance
Really? So, if everyone in Dallas has the same idea then again, you're likely to be trapped in a traffic jam, or waiting in line to get in the door of some already sardine packed structure. Kinda like that Christmas traffic around the mall, the street is going to be your parking lot. Your automobile is NOT going to be safer than your 50 year old one story with absolutely no defense against a tornado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 09:47 AM

769 posts, read 783,014 times
I also live close to White Rock Lake. I just go down to the basement if there's a big tornado warning. Mostly to avoid debris from windows. The house itself is made of steel reinforced concrete so it'll likely withstand a decent tornado.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:14 AM

990 posts, read 2,304,042 times
for those from out of town, this is the stuff you learn in school here about tornado safety:

- stay low. If you're driving out in the open you're better off getting low in a ditch outside of the car. The car is basically an aerofoil wanting to get airborne if you are hit directly or really close to a funnel.
- inside, get low next to an interior wall or inside of a tub in an interior bathroom. Preferably with a mattress on top.

The operative thing is to get low and get away from debris. If the tornado is strong enough, like anything all you can do is try to follow those rules. They may not save you, but its your best chance. Fortunately the most powerful are very rare. If you are going to a parking stucture I would stay close to the footers if possible. That will be the strongest part of the structure and would make it harder for debris to fall on you.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:29 AM

247 posts, read 379,797 times
im not sure i made myself clear, i wouldnt wait until a tornado warning then drive to one of those locations, I would go to the large public building about an hour before the storms moved in, which is pretty easy to tell from looking at radar and following the news, etc. let them pass, then leave....

octo - must be nice to have the peace of mind, sure that cost of a lot though

I think this thread is going in the wrong direction, just looking for peoples thoughts about large public easily accessible buildings near wrl that would be safe to ride out a tornado in the rare event it happens

Old 12-25-2014, 11:55 PM

409 posts, read 1,045,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whj3773 View Post
im not sure i made myself clear, i wouldnt wait until a tornado warning then drive to one of those locations, I would go to the large public building about an hour before the storms moved in, which is pretty easy to tell from looking at radar and following the news, etc. let them pass, then leave....

octo - must be nice to have the peace of mind, sure that cost of a lot though

I think this thread is going in the wrong direction, just looking for peoples thoughts about large public easily accessible buildings near wrl that would be safe to ride out a tornado in the rare event it happens
Then you would be spending most of Spring in a large public building. These storms move rapidly (sometimes springing up out of no where) and sometimes we get a ton of watch/warnings and NOTHING happens. Also exactly what would be you plan when we have these warnings btwn say 10p - 3a? No one is trying to insult you at all. I came from areas where there are no tornadoes so I get your concern. I just don't think your plan is practical at all.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:08 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,618 times
Quote:
And the only workable response is... If you think that is a good idea then not less than 10% of the residents of D/FW have the same thought. You do the math while sitting with your neighbors in stalled traffic trying to avoid a tornado. Which same traffic is impeding the movement of public safety officials, disaster rescue, the fire department, and/or emergency medical. Not to mention the mom and/or dad trying to get home in time to take care of his/her family.

I would recommend the best safety method would be to get on the nearest interstate heading away from a storm but them the storm is going to be chasing you. And again, with a traffic jam, I can guarantee the winner...

Old 12-27-2015, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,617 times
One in a thousand chance of getting caught in a tornado? I don't like those odds. If you had a one in a thousand chance in winning the Lotto, I think you might consider buying a ticket once in a while. Think about it. There were over 20 people killed in the tornado yesterday 12-26-15. I Wonder if their family thinks they should have risked the odds?

Old 12-27-2015, 05:55 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Most,if not all, of the people killed in yesterday's tornadoes were IN THEIR CARS ON I30! One other was a baby who was ripped from its father's arms as he ran from their mobile home to seek shelter. Again and again, the old advice about seeking shelter in an interior closet or bathroom proved itself to be true.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:18 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,865 times
the new YMCA has designated shelter areas.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:46 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,864,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1157 View Post
One in a thousand chance of getting caught in a tornado? I don't like those odds. If you had a one in a thousand chance in winning the Lotto, I think you might consider buying a ticket once in a while. Think about it. There were over 20 people killed in the tornado yesterday 12-26-15. I Wonder if their family thinks they should have risked the odds?
I keep reading that 11 people lost their life yesterday, not "over 20." Please cite your source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: