Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times

Advertisements

It seems like your top priority is newer/upgraded home, more so than the local schools. Plano West is a far superior school in terms of academics than anything in Frisco or Prosper.

Last edited by bencronin04; 12-30-2014 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:45 AM

419 posts, read 553,053 times
If I already had a home in that feeder with the commute you described, I would go the reno/addition route for sure. It sounds like a dream location.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:24 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Your family's needs will determine if another school scenario is better. Test wise and reputation wise, you won't find a better school district on paper. That doesn't mean it is best for you and your kids. Nobody on this forum can figure that out. You will have droves that will tell you that enrolling your kids in anything other than Plano is close to child neglect, but I ignore them.?
Problem is, you don't know if a school is a good or bad fit for your kid(s) until said kid(s) are attending the school. And even then, there are no guarantees that another school will be a better fit.

In the meantime, unless the kids are having a bad time in school (and per the OP they haven't even started yet) it's tough to come up with a good reason to move, since the OP stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
Our #1 priority is schools. With that being said... would you give up the Haun Elementary > Robinson Middle School > Jasper High School > Plano West Senior High track of schools for something in Prosper or Frisco? If so what track would you say would be better or equal in those 2 cities.
and
Quote:
Well we have no other reasons to move. I have a 15 min commute to work and when I change jobs in a few weeks (already accepted an offer) I will have a 3 min commute. Church is 7 mins, doctor is 5 mins. I have no real reason to move except (1) to get a newer house (2) to get better schools.
So, to summarize, the OP has a commute most of us would kill for, living in what is (on paper, granted) one of the very best school tracks in DFW. Heck, some people would think the OP was "humblebragging". Now, it's true that much of "school quality" is really tied to SES and that a smart, motivated kid with parents who put a high priority on education can do well almost anywhere and is unlikely to do that much "worse" in Frisco or Prosper vs. Plano West (and as noted, might do even better depending on their particular situation), but that said, it's tough to see a reason to leave, otehr than "newer/bigger house at same price point.

Which is fine, everybody has their own priorities, but given that the OP is specifically asking about school quality and listing it as very important, AND they will (apparently) have a longer commute if they move, well, they're trading off a lot for that house. (Also, they seem perfectly happy with their area otherwise; they haven't posted asking for a community with a different "feel" or anything).

So all that said, I'd agree with you on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Why don't you remodel? Get the property brother from HGTV to come and knock out some walls and put in granite countertops and handscraped hardwoods and all that jazz that is the latest and greatest?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:24 AM

409 posts, read 1,044,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
It seems like your top priority is newer/upgraded home, more so than the local schools. Plano West is a far superior school in terms of academics than anything in Frisco or Prosper.
Nah...can't I have it all...for under 500k? LOL.... I guess the answer is no

Old 12-30-2014, 08:36 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
would you give up the Haun Elementary > Robinson Middle School > Jasper High School > Plano West Senior High track of schools for something in Prosper or Frisco? If so what track would you say would be better or equal in those 2 cities.
A) No, I wouldn't. Your mileage may vary.
2) There is no track better than that in Prosper or Frisco, not even close. In fact, other than HPISD or Carroll ISD (and the latter is arguable), there is no better track on paper in all of DFW.

To summarize, you're living in an ideal location for your work with almost the best schools in the entire Metroplex. I get that "newer house" would be nice, but you'll be giving up a lot of convenience and yes, taking a hit on schools, to do so.

Unless there are some other factors you're leaving out, I wouldn't recommend moving unless newer house is really, really important to you.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:40 AM

953 posts, read 1,829,978 times
The other side of the fence is always greener remodel and live merry!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Remodel. I think you'll regret moving. Plus, your current house in your current location will appreciate much better than a new build in Prosper or Frisco. I'd renovate and stay put if I were you (and I don't even have children).

Old 12-30-2014, 08:48 AM

533 posts, read 642,081 times
Another Option:
Sounds like you are looking for a change. Why not also look around in your neighborhood or the surrounding ones for an updated home with an open plan that you would like?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:21 AM

409 posts, read 1,044,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Another Option:
Sounds like you are looking for a change. Why not also look around in your neighborhood or the surrounding ones for an updated home with an open plan that you would like?

That would actually be a good plan except for there are no other homes in this subdivision that are any larger or have a larger lot for the addition. This floor plan is the largest in the subdivision and we were lucky to score on an odd shaped corner lot.

There is one home down the street that just up in a 600 sq ft addition about 6 months ago which is exactly the same addition idea DH and I have been discussing for the past few yrs. I wish I could go inside and see if the addition really makes the space our definition of perfect. However, we moved here in 09 and they moved here in '99 and I have never ever seen them go in or come out of their house. So I can't exactly march on over there and ask to see inside!

If they ever sell I will definitely go on over there a take a peep a the open house!

Old 12-30-2014, 09:26 AM

533 posts, read 642,081 times
Are you opposed to looking outside your subdivision? You could even go a little east to Skaggs/Andrews zone, not compromise on your commute much, get even better schools, and the houses there are slightly newer. There is a dearth of houses on the market now but come spring/summer, there would be plenty I bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas