Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:37 AM

28 posts, read 36,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Except, as of now, the schools in LH are better than the schools in Lakewood. No one can accurately predict when Lakewood will have above average schools, much less really good schools. Also, no one can predict if and when LH schools are worse than Lakewood schools. Personally, I will not think Lakewood has good schools until it has at least a handful of NMSF every year (like Lake Highlands). Unless I am mistaken, they rarely get one.
Yes, this was my impression too. Aren't the junior high and high schools in the Lakewood/M Streets area no better than in Lake Highlands? In fact, RISD as a whole is better ranked than DISD so while sending your kids to Lakewood Elementary and Stonewall are great, most people choose to send their kids to privates after that, or move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:46 AM

41 posts, read 101,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Except, as of now, the schools in LH are better than the schools in Lakewood. No one can accurately predict when Lakewood will have above average schools, much less really good schools. Also, no one can predict if and when LH schools are worse than Lakewood schools. Personally, I will not think Lakewood has good schools until it has at least a handful of NMSF every year (like Lake Highlands). Unless I am mistaken, they rarely get one.
If schools matter then Lakewood wouldn't work. LH would giver better schools and more house. Plano West has newer and charming quality custom homes as well but you have to spend more money. If schools are top priority then I guess one can compromise on look of the house. Coppell and parts of Richardson are contenders as well.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:40 PM

74 posts, read 86,594 times
I'm talking trajectory. Lake Highlands schools are currently comparable on TEA ratings but schooldigger.com and greatschools.org give the edge to the Lakewood schools. The WWHS feeder pattern will soon consist of four IB schools, and already has new Montessori and STEAM elementary schools

Old 01-15-2015, 04:47 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.abus View Post
I'm talking trajectory. Lake Highlands schools are currently comparable on TEA ratings but schooldigger.com and greatschools.org give the edge to the Lakewood schools. The WWHS feeder pattern will soon consist of four IB schools, and already has new Montessori and STEAM elementary schools
No one can accurately predict how long it will take those programs to have a meaningful impact in Lakewood. Of the current schools using the IB programs, my understanding is that the results were below average over the past couple of years. You may be right that in 20 years Lakewood schools will be good, but most people don't have that long of time line. (maybe it is 10 years- who knows). What we do know is that now, the results over the last 5 years (or longer) have not been good.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.abus View Post
Trajectory fajectory. Everyone's been predicting the demise of Plano as housing stock aged and more Asians moved to Frisco....hasn't happened yet. People think Lovejoy is the second coming of Highland Park with their All-Honors/AP curriculum ....hasn't happened yet. People keep thinkng Woodrow is going to become an elite public....hasn't happened yet and recent data doesn't show it happening anytime soon.

In fact, Woodrow's SAT scores have actually come DOWN 130pts over the last 5 years. 1 NMSF in 5 years is pretty awful. In the same 5 years, LHHS racked up 14 NMSF (median of 3 per year) and has remained within 15-50 points of 2009 SAT, depending on the year. So, LHHS SAT is declining (likely do to influx of lower income), but at a slower rate than Woodrow (whose student body is supposedly becoming more affluent and driven).

2013 - 1346 MVW SAT, 0 NMSF
2012 - 1343 MVW SAT, 0 NMSF
2011 - 912 MV SAT (equates to 1368 MVW), 0 NMSF
2010 - 942 MV SAT (equates to 1413 MVW), 1 NMSF
2009 - 984 MV SAT (equates to 1476 MVW), 0 NMSF

School Digger and Great Schools are terrible resources to evaluate schools. SAT scores are the best indicator of college preparedness, along with IB and AP scores....speaking of which, only 40% of Woodrow's inagural IB class passed their exam (vs 80% nationwide).

I want Woodrow to be successful. Lord knows, the neighborhoods within the loop need another solid public school choice aside from HP and LH. But for now, it's far more talk than action.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I'm not happy that we don't have as many NMSFs as I think we should but I believe we are getting there. PSAT scores just came out and will be discussed at "PSAT Parent Night" at 6 pm on the 29th. Another consideration is that the senior class at LH is about twice the size of Woodrow's and has a smaller percentage of economically disadvantaged. I like a smaller school myself and I'm worried Woodrow is getting too big. Woodrow's enrollment has increased 200-300 while I believe LHHS has decreased about 200-300.

And, DISD is now paying for all tests - AP, SAT, IB, ACT, et al - so many more students are taking the them - which could mean a drop in the average score. The information I have is that 150 more juniors at Woodrow took the SAT and that the percent of those testing "college ready" by DISD standards rose from 43 to 102. See: SAT scores drop as more Dallas ISD students take college admissions test | Dallas Morning News

Also Woodrow was redesigned into four academies http://woodrowwildcats.org/academics...ory-academies/ and the first graduates from that redesign were in 2014. I now see a lot more changes happening with enrollment and engagement rising because of this. However, the academy system is not for everyone because you must choose one and stick to it unless you are granted a special request. If you don't like any of the academies you should probably attend another school. In DISD, however, I believe Woodrow has the most academies/choices.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,407 times
Default LH schools & homes

While this thread appears to be a few months old, I figured I would somewhat revive the original comparisons for the OP.

RISD just went through some expansions. They built a new wing on Merriman Park, WRE & Wallace. This was due to some of those schools sending some of their kids to other area schools as overflow (LHE got quite a few of those). Those apartments at Skillman & Royal are zoned to MPE. MPE had been sending some of those kids as overflow kids to other areas (LHE took an entire class of kids from MPE last year, and that class was very homogeneous). With the new wings, there are now less overflow transfers between school in the east LH area. Demographic ##s already reflect that (current ##s seem to not be posted online until the following year or so). My son goes to LHE & we love it. It has a good group of involved parents, nice east dallas feel to the neighborhood, and great kids. The principal is amazing (and she has been there for awhile). We are very happy with the school. It fits our personalities, as we moved from NYC back to Dallas a few years ago. Although east LH REALLY needs more restaurant options. That town center would have (will? ha) made a big difference. Although it really isn't that far at all to Mockingbird/Abrams or Casa Linda.

Which is not to say the other LH area schools are not great as well. WRE obviously is a great school. Lots of kids running around having fun there too. Wallace has a GREAT PTA. MPE has many good qualities as well.

As far as MPE v LHE houses go, I think the MPE houses are generally bigger. The L streets are a great dynamic, but the houses are fairly small. North of McCree in the L streets seem to be more consistently maintained over south of McCree. Lake Ridge Estates (west of Ferndale) has bigger houses & the area is HOT. Lots of great families over here. I can bike to the lake from my garage easily. Most of our neighborhood seems to go to LHE, but there are a few St. Pats' kids around. I have talked to some St. Pats' people about St. Pats & there seems to be a common theme that St. Pats' floods them with homework every night.

I found this thread by searching Lake Highlands Junior High online. RISD is extending their gifted program's reach beyond elementary school starting next year. The secondary REACH options are fabulous and will drive many of those kids forward. I have no doubt that kids if on the pre-AP, AP track will get a very good education at the JR & then SR High's in LH. I would think anyone doing research online & posting on these forums obviously cares about their children's education and will drive them to succeed, and their kids will be in those tracks.

The LH freshman center is very well thought of & RISD is integrating it into the LHHS in the next year or 2, but keeping all the 9th graders there (that is my understanding from a letter that went home recently to all LH school kids). As far as privates, we have looked at Byshop Lynch as a possible alternative if secondary does not go well. Although BL starts at 9th grade.

We looked farther north in Richardson as well, primarily Mohawk and/or Bowie. What I like about east LH area is the much easier commute to downtown. Good luck

Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 AM

68 posts, read 94,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestcoasterDFW View Post
We were recently contemplating similar options as you, OP. We currently live in an old tudor style home in the M Streets. While I absolutely love this neighborhood and all the character my 1920s house has, we need to move on due to the size of our growing family. We looked for 4 bedrooms in our current neighborhood, Lakewood, West Plano and many other Dallas suburbs. We strongly considered West Plano, but like you, I don't love the look of many of those houses and a lot of them need a great deal of updates. We're also not suburbia people. I see why people move to them but it's not for us. We ultimately decided to build in the new community in Merriman Park, Bordeaux of Lake Highlands. It had what we were looking for- beautiful, new houses in Merriman Park, not far from the city, not far from White Rock Lake, an elementary school that rates 8 out of 10, East Dallas people/culture, established neighborhood with great topography (actual hills!). Did I mention close to the city? That was a big one. And it will cost us significantly less than buying that same house in M Streets or Lakewood, or even lower Greenville.
Please PM me. My wife and I are thinking of building in this area (Bordeaux) and would like to know opinions of someone who lives there. Also, we may end up being neighbors!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:07 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Bordeaux is in a great location. I live less than a half mile away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas