Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:23 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I am fundamentally opposed to toll roads. If I wanted to take roads, I'd live in the Northeast. Part of living in a Western state should be no toll roads.

Once when visiting California, I took a toll road to save time and avoid the nightmare that is the 405. Dallas' 635 gives the 405 in LA a run for its money in traffic hellaciousness, but I think the 405 is worse.
In PA, your taxes pay for toll roads, and your toll pays for toll roads.

Not sure if it's the same here in Texas, I recall someone saying that the tolls pay for the NTTA to maintain itself, but I'm not sure how true that is. Surely there's some government/tax funding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 07:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
In PA, your taxes pay for toll roads, and your toll pays for toll roads.

Not sure if it's the same here in Texas, I recall someone saying that the tolls pay for the NTTA to maintain itself, but I'm not sure how true that is. Surely there's some government/tax funding?
I feel like I pay enough in automobile and transportation costs between gas, insurance, and repairs. That stuff is unavoidable to an extent. I can plan my life so that I do not have to take toll roads. Occasionally, something comes up where taking a toll road might be beneficial, but it isn't worth it to me. I've lived here for years and not taken a toll road once.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:44 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
I take toll roads relatively often depending on the job I'm working. If it's takes an hour on a toll road, it can take me significantly longer to try to go around the toll road.

I've been fortunate to avoid SRT, PGBT, and the DNT for the past 6 months, but I spent a year before that taking one or two of those daily.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:31 AM

153 posts, read 225,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolkArtsy View Post
I don't get why people buy in far flung areas and then instead of using toll roads, they crowd internal roads to save toll. There should be some sort of toll charged for that which can be used for upkeep of these roads, pollution control, police or that city for their inconvenience. I live near Preston and Park and hate how commuters from other towns use our roads to cut down on their long commutes and toll expenses while increasing traffic, pollution, commute time, chances of accidents, road wear and tear and crowding for people in our town.

I hate how internet users from adjacent towns use my town's internet lines to cut down on their long download time and network expenses while increasing traffic, errors, download time, chances of collisions, network wear and tear and digital crowding for people in our town. Then they complain that it's too expensive and not fast enough!

I was born here, and I pay a premium rate for my internet service, so I should have the fastest throughput of all. Those other guys are just hitching a lower cost ride on my internet cable! There should be a per-byte toll for upkeep of network components, spam control, and network police.

And the same goes for water, sewer, gas and electric transmission! Those other guys are getting a discount at my expense!

Last edited by JoeSiczpak; 01-12-2015 at 01:46 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 07:39 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
Am I the only one that sometimes will take Preston from the 635 area rather than the tollway because I just enjoy the drive and scenery better? Even the stop lights? It's just more relaxing to me sometimes then going 80mph on the tollway with other race car drivers.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:14 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiczpak View Post
I hate how internet users from adjacent towns use my town's internet lines to cut down on their long download time and network expenses while increasing traffic, errors, download time, chances of collisions, network wear and tear and digital crowding for people in our town. Then they complain that it's too expensive and not fast enough!

I was born here, and I pay a premium rate for my internet service, so I should have the fastest throughput of all. Those other guys are just hitching a lower cost ride on my internet cable! There should be a per-byte toll for upkeep of network components, spam control, and network police.

And the same goes for water, sewer, gas and electric transmission! Those other guys are getting a discount at my expense!

MY trees are creating excess oxygen that YOU concrete-surrounded city-dwellers BREATHE! Go make YOUR OWN d*mn oxygen!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:06 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Am I the only one that sometimes will take Preston from the 635 area rather than the tollway because I just enjoy the drive and scenery better? Even the stop lights? It's just more relaxing to me sometimes then going 80mph on the tollway with other race car drivers.
I commute to Plano daily so I only take Preston if there is a MAJOR wreck on the DNT....and even then, Midway or Hillcrest/Ohio usually move faster than Preston. One of the worst intersections in the entire metroplex is the stretch of Preston from Plano Road to just south of Bush....it has taken me 20-25 minutes to drive that stretch in rush hour.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Good lord, NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I commute to Plano daily so I only take Preston if there is a MAJOR wreck on the DNT....and even then, Midway or Hillcrest/Ohio usually move faster than Preston. One of the worst intersections in the entire metroplex is the stretch of Preston from Plano Road to just south of Bush....it has taken me 20-25 minutes to drive that stretch in rush hour.
Oh god, yes...I've been stuck in that traffic hell. Also Park Road in Plano between DNT and just west of Willow Bend mall. Traffic lights every 2 feet.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
This is going south on Preston, not north. Sorry.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:42 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
This is going south on Preston, not north. Sorry.
That's the direction I was speaking to....I find it to be awful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas