Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 04:10 PM

25 posts, read 14,813 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband was offered a position that would move us from the suburbs of Indianapolis to anywhere we want in Texas (its a sales based job so he can literally live anywhere in the state). They would pay for moving expenses.

We have 2 young girls, and 2 dogs. Important things to us are good schools, fitness friendly community (we are very active), lower crime and nice weather... cost of living is pretty low where we live where we get a lot for our money.

I'd love to live in SoCal but will never be able to afford it

I have read some nice things about McKinney.

Any suggestions welcome! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 04:50 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
What's your budget for housing?

Old 01-30-2015, 04:53 PM

Honestly have no idea. LOL.
This came on quickly, so we'd likely rent for awhile to save for a down payment. Right now we live in 200K home but its almost 3000 square feet, 2 car garage, fenced yard... but Indy is cheap.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:12 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Dallas is not cheap as you will see if you read some threads on this forum or the FTW one

IF your husband's job is sales based I assume he would need airport access--Southwest has escaped the Wright amendment prohibiting non-stop flights more than two states away but many routes still involve connections
DFW and American offer more non-stop flights throughout the US--last time I read about it--
so you might prefer to be closer to DFW than Love--and McKinney is not close to either--on far side of Dallas
There are many + about living in DFW area--but also negatives--

IF you can live anywhere you might consider more central Texas--Austin/Round Rock /San Marcos area--
many people view Austin as the Mecca of Texas
there are good schools there---especially in outlying towns--and you might get better price point--
but I think any popular area in or close to a metroplex w/have some $$ homes...

Old 02-01-2015, 05:25 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
I would strongly consider flying down to Austin and McKinney, before moving. I would like to dispell the myth of cheaper living. It may have been cheaper relative to other cities, several years ago. Things have changed over several years.

With all the out-of-state transplants, Dallas and Austin property values have grown considerably. Forbes shows the cost of living of both cities above the national average and definitely higher than Indianapolis.

http://www.forbes.com/places/in/indianapolis/ Cost of Living: 6.7% below the national average

http://www.forbes.com/places/tx/dallas/
Cost of Living: 6.9% above the national average
Difference in Cost of Living Between Indianapolis and Dallas : 13.6%

http://www.forbes.com/places/tx/austin/
Cost of Living: 10.1% above the national average
Difference in Cost of Living Between Indianapolis and Austin : 16.8%

I encourage you to move, but you should forget about a cheap cost of living. Both of you will be fine, if he is getting a bump in pay for the move.

Last edited by move4ward; 02-01-2015 at 05:35 AM..

Old 02-01-2015, 07:23 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
If you are coming the the DFW area, I suggest Southlake, Colleyville, Grapevine or Trophy Club over McKinney. Closer to the DFW airport and better schools.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:22 AM

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses!!! EWe are definitely going to come down and visit without the kids before we make a final decision

Good access to a major airport where he would have less connecting flights would be ideal; thats why the 'burbs of Dallas enticed us... Indy stinks because he literally can't get a direct flight anywhere and ahs to fly to Chicago to go anywhere it seems and adds hours and hours to his travel time.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:40 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
I PMed you a real estate site for the DFW Metroplex--
you won't find anything under 300K in Southlake or Colleyville--probably more like 350 in Colleyville (my friend lives in one of the less-expensive subdivisions) and Southlake has higher entry level
but if he can be within a 30-40 min drive to DFW then you have many options

do search on the Dallas and FTW forum for ISD/school districts--
and don't think that to GET a good ISD you need to buy in Carroll--
demographics have saved that district's reputation for years

BUT--that being said--
to me the only real drawback to living in the Austin area is the long term drought and water situation--
which is worse than our location

Old 02-01-2015, 12:10 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,536,200 times
You might find a nicer rental in Flower Mound or Grapevine that would give good airport access and great public schools. Both communities are fitness and family friendly and have lots of transplants.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
You might find a nicer rental in Flower Mound or Grapevine that would give good airport access and great public schools. Both communities are fitness and family friendly and have lots of transplants.
THanks! Adding those to the list to check out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas