Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:33 PM

382 posts, read 628,993 times

Advertisements

Apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, but a search did not find this exact question (there is a related thread on Houston, which is very dependent on O&G industry, but not on Dallas).

Anyone here who has the broader picture of the economy of Dallas have any insight/prediction/links to reliable articles/etc. of the impact the recent (and future) drop in oil prices will have on the local economy?

It will undoubtedly slow the economy somewhat, but is it likely to be a major slowdown? How dependent is the Dallas economy on O&G / how diversified is the Dallas economy?

I ask in context of recent announcements some pretty big influx of business (e.g. State Farm, Toyota) and migration of workers that come with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 08:25 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
mho.

Dallas and Texas are both dependent on Growth. THAT is the model. Just standing still is/would be sinking. Not saying that is a good thing for personal taste, just observation.

New Construction, New Roads, New Building -- in General, the Whole Economy are ALL Dependent on Growth, Growth, Growth.

In the long term there are only two things that I have found natural models which require Growth for the sake of Growth -- Cancer and Morbid Obesity.

Texas has done well -- again just my observation -- from two things within/since the onset of the "Great Recession." Fracking (as has North Dakota) AND folks moving here because the areas they were coming from were economically going under.

First -- As you observed, some of the Fresh Blood money into Texas, and Dallas, as well is from Frack. That is bound to wind down.

Second -- Most of those "Going Under" areas that folks have been moving from are harmed by High Oil Prices, and do better under Cheap Oil -- like now. That can slow or stop the Growth, Growth, Growth influx.

Combining all that -- with the observation that just Holding our Own (in a Growth Required Model) means sinking.

Overall -- I am scoring the whole area as Risky. I have played this before. Rode it down in 2008. This Time -- The day Oil went under $75 -- back in November -- I was taking on Water (not Oil) Projects, ONLY.

Still finishing out on-going, fully-funded Oil and NG Projects -- but not counting on any new.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 AM

25 posts, read 54,138 times
Default Disagree partly with previous reply...

Dallas is not as dependent on oil and gas as Houston or some other parts of Texas. OPs concern seems to be mainly with Dallas (DFW) economy. There might be some slowing down effects overall on Texas, even less so over DFW.. well put in the below article -just a 'tap on breaks'.

Fed economist: Low oil prices will slow state

Old 01-14-2015, 09:07 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
I think Dallas Today (2015) is a lot more diverse than the Dallas of yesterday (1980's) And as diverse as any major city in the US. I think its okay for the time being.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
O&G makes up 3.1% of Texas employment and roughly half that percentage in Dallas. Low oil prices will definitely slow the economy a bit over time. However, I'd argue that so long as the slow down is not too quick or too deep it's like a good thing for many.

It'll be interesting to see what OPEC (the Saudis and UAE in particular) do vis a vis prices over the longer term, say 18mos-2yrs. The Saudis Ghawar field in particular is like an underground lake of oil their extraction costs are really low coupled with the fact that they have large cash reserves can sit on cheap oil for many years. Other OPEC members do not have those luxuries.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:03 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I think Dallas Today (2015) is a lot more diverse than the Dallas of yesterday (1980's) And as diverse as any major city in the US. I think its okay for the time being.
I agree with this. A bear stock market would impact the metroplex much more broadly than just oil prices. However, sustained oil prices below a certain mark are bad for the overall economy (as stock market commodities and as major employers and creators of "trickle down" jobs). I don't know enough to know the magic price, but I'd imagine it's a good $15-20 above current oil prices.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:03 PM

74 posts, read 86,594 times
Some people were upset when the oil industry started consolidating in Houston and leaving Dallas. Maybe not so much now.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:24 PM

100 posts, read 187,433 times
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd be happy if oil prices stayed around 2.00 No lower, no higher. Its easy on the budget and hopefully ok on the economy as a whole.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.abus View Post
Some people were upset when the oil industry started consolidating in Houston and leaving Dallas. Maybe not so much now.
Which companies left Dallas? Exxon is still based here and many of the super wealthy moguls are here.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagusas View Post
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd be happy if oil prices stayed around 2.00 No lower, no higher. Its easy on the budget and hopefully ok on the economy as a whole.
The world economy would die within a week if oil went to $2.00bbl (no country can extract at that price). Did you mean gas at $2.00 per gallon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas