Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 02:26 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Your username offends me. Can you change it and move on?
A little different situation. Listen, I would not be offended by the name. But then again, I would not be offended to attend Robert E. Lee High school or Malcolm X (I am Asian). However, many of my neighbors would be offended if the new school was named Robert E. Lee or Malcolm X- thus, I would not suggest that we use those names. Do you disagree?

Old 01-19-2015, 02:40 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
A little different situation. Listen, I would not be offended by the name. But then again, I would not be offended to attend Robert E. Lee High school or Malcolm X (I am Asian). However, many of my neighbors would be offended if the new school was named Robert E. Lee or Malcolm X- thus, I would not suggest that we use those names. Do you disagree?
Let's just name every school P.S. <number> like New York does and be done with it.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:41 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
I wonder if these parents were also offended back when it was the Frisco Coons

Old 01-19-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I wonder if these parents were also offended back when it was the Frisco Coons
Indeed...didn't they used to have "Home of the Fighting Coons" written on a water tower up there?

Old 01-19-2015, 03:15 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,946 times
There is a city called Paris, TX not far from here. I am offended because I don't like Paris Hilton.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
I am Lebanese myself and I find it crazy that people are so crazy about this name. They want to name it "Freedom High School". Why not just name it "Jesus Christ High School" or "David Duke High School" or "Cross Burning White Redneck in Cowboy Hat High School". Its xenophobic.

Im not Muslim, I walk a fine line between being Christian and anti-religion, but Lebanon is the name of a street. People cannot comprehend that?

Old 01-19-2015, 05:46 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
This is the most ignorant comment I've read. That may be your world but it's far from reality. A Jewish person has already addressed it and I know many Muslems who have no problem with the name Israel. In fact there is chapter in Koran titled "children of Israel". Moosa (Moses) is a pretty common Islamic name.
As an aside you know in Lebanon the country there is a law, no exaggeration, that forbids Lebanese people from fraternizing with Israelis.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I am Lebanese myself and I find it crazy that people are so crazy about this name. They want to name it "Freedom High School". Why not just name it "Jesus Christ High School" or "David Duke High School" or "Cross Burning White Redneck in Cowboy Hat High School". Its xenophobic.

Im not Muslim, I walk a fine line between being Christian and anti-religion, but Lebanon is the name of a street. People cannot comprehend that?
I don't think it's quite that bad; it's not like Frisco's many Indian residents wake up to crosses burning on their lawns, but to me it's more a symptom of ignorant Islamophobia. There is plenty to criticize about Islam as it is practiced in many countries, but naming a high school "Lebanon" hardly qualifies as the terrorists "winning."

I've liked every Lebanese person I ever met. Most were Christians, but some were Muslims. No problems.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Malcolm X was rather racist against white people. I think it would be difficult for white people to attend a school named after Malcolm X. High schools named after Malcolm X are most likely to be in majority African-American neighborhoods.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Malcolm X was rather racist against white people. I think it would be difficult for white people to attend a school named after Malcolm X. High schools named after Malcolm X are most likely to be in majority African-American neighborhoods.
Or we can just end the controversy altogether and not name schools after people.

Let's have Fluffy Kitten High School, Pretty Flower Elementary School, Hot Cocoa Junior High School, etc.

Or we can name them after shapes.

Triangle High. Trapezoid Elementary. Hexagon Junior High.

Let's get creative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas