Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:08 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times

Advertisements

I've always thought that it was unfair that the City of Dallas had to essentially sacrifice Love Field for the DFW airport. DFW doesn't benefit the city of Dallas in my opinion...now the folks living in Southlake, Flower Mound, Irving, Arlington and Grapevine? wonderful for them! Jack squat for Dallas. Takes forever to get there if you live in Dallas, no property tax revenue coming to Dallas, no sales tax just nada. At least Love Field would positively impact the city for once. Just think if Love Field was the size of DFW...I know the fact that it's a solid 40 minute drive from DFW to downtown Dallas negatively impacts having conventions in the city.

I know all about the Wright Amendment so there is nothing that could have been done. Just venting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 11:37 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I've always thought that it was unfair that the City of Dallas had to essentially sacrifice Love Field for the DFW airport. DFW doesn't benefit the city of Dallas in my opinion...now the folks living in Southlake, Flower Mound, Irving, Arlington and Grapevine? wonderful for them! Jack squat for Dallas. Takes forever to get there if you live in Dallas, no property tax revenue coming to Dallas, no sales tax just nada. At least Love Field would positively impact the city for once. Just think if Love Field was the size of DFW...I know the fact that it's a solid 40 minute drive from DFW to downtown Dallas negatively impacts having conventions in the city.

I know all about the Wright Amendment so there is nothing that could have been done. Just venting.
I am really not that familiar with this stuff. But city of Dallas (along with Fort worth) owns DFW airport. It is their property. It is in their best interest to take care of their property. Not sure who owns Love airport.
I happened to read little from DFW airport financial report submitted for Dallas/Fort worth city council. I do not have that with me now. But according to this report Irving, Grapevine and Bedford are designated as airport cities (not the owner cities). They have a agreement with owner cities (Dallas and Fort worth) to share their sales tax. These numbers were very huge.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:18 PM

551 posts, read 1,099,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
I am really not that familiar with this stuff. But city of Dallas (along with Fort worth) owns DFW airport. It is their property. It is in their best interest to take care of their property. Not sure who owns Love airport.
The City of Dallas is a not for profit government entity. Finding ways to increase the value of their assets is not its mission. Its only interest should be executing the will of the people it represents. If the citizens of Dallas want Love Field unrestrained than that is what Dallas government should be working toward regardless of if it hurts DFW.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:37 PM

74 posts, read 86,594 times
We should have ten millon living in the area in a decade or two, so there's room for both. Love Field is great for me, all surface streets, only about 15 minutes.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:46 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
The City of Dallas is a not for profit government entity. Finding ways to increase the value of their assets is not its mission. Its only interest should be executing the will of the people it represents. If the citizens of Dallas want Love Field unrestrained than that is what Dallas government should be working toward regardless of if it hurts DFW.
I understand, making profit it not their mission. But it is also their airport. It is not true about Dallas not getting any benefit out of dfw airport.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:18 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,894 times
Quote:
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- In the latest sign that airline industry shares have hit a rough patch, Bank of America/Merrill Lynch on Wednesday downgraded American Airlines to neutral from buy.
"American is the most exposed to capacity concerns that have arisen of late given that it goes head to head with Southwest in Dallas," wrote Merrill Lynch analyst Andrew Didora in a report.
Additionally, Didora said, "The company faces its biggest integration risk with the reservation system cutover this fall," following the 2013 merger with US Airways. He cut his price objective to $50 from $64
American Airlines Is Downgraded Thanks to Southwest's Growth in Dallas | Business News
I remember some folks chuckling when it was suggested the liberation of Dallas Love from the Wright Amendment would put some real pressure on DFW and therefor the larger airports biggest tenant, FTWorth-based American Airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas