Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:06 AM

247 posts, read 379,546 times

Advertisements

Moved into 50 year old pier and beam house near WRL appox 6 months ago. General inspection found no major foundation concerns. Over time, vertical and diagonal cracks have appeared over windows and doors and are getting progressively worse over time. Front door is also sticking to bottom. I have a few inquires into a couple foundation repair guys but im just trying to determine if this is something major or more along the normal lines for homes in DFW.

I have some photos but they are to big to upload, will try to resize and upload.

Thanks for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 12:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Call a structUral engineer first. Will DM you a name. Foundation repair companies always want to repair.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:41 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
If doors are sticking, then most likely you do have some foundation issues. Drywall cracks though, are usually normal, especially by the doors and windows. The shape and direction of the crack can be telling. If the crack is following the stud/tape line, then it's usually nothing to worry about, but if its a zigzag or diagonal crack, that can be a sign of the foundation being compromised in that area.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:13 PM

see pics
Attached Thumbnails
Advice regading drywall cracks-pic-1.jpg   Advice regading drywall cracks-pic-2.jpg  

Old 01-25-2015, 02:57 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Yeah... that looks like a foundation issue. Those cracks do not follow the drywall seams so it's more than a matter of the drywall panels shifting a bit.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:38 PM

man, really disappointing, general inspection reported no foundation issues. oh the joys of home ownership

Old 01-25-2015, 04:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whj3773 View Post
Moved into 50 year old pier and beam house near WRL appox 6 months ago. General inspection found no major foundation concerns. Over time, vertical and diagonal cracks have appeared over windows and doors and are getting progressively worse over time. Front door is also sticking to bottom. I have a few inquires into a couple foundation repair guys but im just trying to determine if this is something major or more along the normal lines for homes in DFW.

I have some photos but they are to big to upload, will try to resize and upload.

Thanks for any responses.
I'm no expert, but I also own a P&B and I have cracks over a few windows/doors. The door to the garage always sticks in winter. Always. It stops sticking when the weather gets warm.

The cracks disappear in summer and get bigger in winter. Always. I've repaired the drywall and repainted on a couple of them and the cracks didn't reappear, but honestly I have yet to see a P&B house in my area that has NO cracks.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:21 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whj3773 View Post
man, really disappointing, general inspection reported no foundation issues. oh the joys of home ownership
General inspectors aren't foundation experts by any means. They tell you this in their disclosures. Any time you buy a house in north Texas, especially an older one, you should really spend the $300 or so to get a structural engineer to look it over.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm no expert, but I also own a P&B and I have cracks over a few windows/doors. The door to the garage always sticks in winter. Always. It stops sticking when the weather gets warm.

The cracks disappear in summer and get bigger in winter. Always. I've repaired the drywall and repainted on a couple of them and the cracks didn't reappear, but honestly I have yet to see a P&B house in my area that has NO cracks.

guess it just worries me that they just appeared in the last month or so and seemed to get progressively worse

Old 01-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
General inspectors aren't foundation experts by any means. They tell you this in their disclosures. Any time you buy a house in north Texas, especially an older one, you should really spend the $300 or so to get a structural engineer to look it over.
yes i agree, the inspector literally said "nothing really to worry about" on the visit so i didnt deem it necessary to spend the extra money at the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: