Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I also agree with what others have said. Dallas is much more classist than racist.
Yup, that's how I see it as well. DFW is VERY classist. Not terribly racist from what I've observed, though as a white Jewish female I'm not subjected to much racism to begin with.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup, that's how I see it as well. DFW is VERY classist. Not terribly racist from what I've observed, though as a white Jewish female I'm not subjected to much racism to begin with.
Agreed. We live in a pretty racially diverse area and feel comfortable. I probably try TOO hard to not come across as racist from time to time and look like a bumbling idiot (avoiding trying to describe someone's appearance without color comes to mind), but I've found over time that's not racist.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:04 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
While what everyone says is largely true, that so many people north of downtown think that everything south of I-30 is nothing but a cesspool of crime and danger certainly has a racial element. Those of us who live down here get it a lot -- maybe not as much as a few years ago now that North Oak Cliff has become "hip" -- but it's definitely still there.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Arab man here. Never had a problem in Dallas or DFW at all.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
While what everyone says is largely true, that so many people north of downtown think that everything south of I-30 is nothing but a cesspool of crime and danger certainly has a racial element. Those of us who live down here get it a lot -- maybe not as much as a few years ago now that North Oak Cliff has become "hip" -- but it's definitely still there.
When heat crime maps show that a majority of violent crime is in one area, I think that is a pretty strong finding. Is EVERYTHING south of I-30 bad? No. Is more of it "crime and danger" riden than the "northern" burbs? Absolutely.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Agreed. We live in a pretty racially diverse area and feel comfortable. I probably try TOO hard to not come across as racist from time to time and look like a bumbling idiot (avoiding trying to describe someone's appearance without color comes to mind), but I've found over time that's not racist.
I'll admit that I do not go out of my way to be politically correct. I'm not less rude or more nice to anyone because of their skin color. I don't really care if people perceive me as racist or not. I do have friends from diverse backgrounds and if I was truly racist, that wouldn't be the case.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:45 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
AA male here. I've been to Dallas several times on vacation. Even endured one crazy thunderstorm back in October it was crazy!! I've had a good time every time and everyone I encountered was very friendly regardless of what race, even gained a surprise FB friend on the flight back he lives in Carrollton he was a Caucasian guy in his 20's like me newly married and in school at a Seminary in Virginia. You couldn't tell me I wasn't at home in North Carolina with the exception of the noticeably worse traffic and warm weather in October. By in large you would have to search to not like Dallas for whatever reason it's a very likeable place from what I gathered.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:16 PM

103 posts, read 259,950 times
Im African American and live in Dallas. Race issue here is the same as any other major city. In haven't experienced much racism. DFW is very integrated race wise. I think it is more classicism here than racism, or at-least from my experiences.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:24 PM

103 posts, read 259,950 times
Quote:
I also agree with what others have said. Dallas is much more classist than racist.
I didn't see this post until after I finished mines. I have had many conversations with people here and we all think the same. Dallas is place where You have tons of wealthy people and my interactions with people who make alot more is that im better than you vibe. Not because of color, but because of class. Now im not saying that people aren't racist, but I have seen that classist thing alot more here.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by careerbound View Post
I didn't see this post until after I finished mines. I have had many conversations with people here and we all think the same. Dallas is place where You have tons of wealthy people and my interactions with people who make alot more is that im better than you vibe. Not because of color, but because of class. Now im not saying that people aren't racist, but I have seen that classist thing alot more here.
Exactly. It seems to be more apparent in the after hours scene, happy hours etc. A coworker and I grab drinks usually once every two weeks after work at bars and restaurants around Greenville and Uptown. We are not wealthy by any means, but are fairly comfortable for our age. I'm usually in slacks and an untucked button down trying to be as comfortable as possible after work, and he's usually in worn out jeans and a t-shirt. It's interesting to see how many people are dressed in suits and "fancy looking" apparel. You'll find that most of those people will tell you they're in finance, service, etc. All fine and well. But once you get to know them a little better, you find they are waiters, tellers, etc. Again, all fine and well, but you can tell they are trying to put on a front that they make more than they do. I just people would realize that the people who matter, don't mind; and the people that mind don't matter. No reason to try and show you're something you're not. Be proud of what you are and what you do!

Last edited by bencronin04; 01-27-2015 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas