Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:54 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
No more than Memphis it all depends on how well u blend in doesn't it
Why does Memphis keep coming up in comparison to Dallas on this and the Texas forum lately?!? The two are NOTHING alike.

Memphis is like an old, sleepy, Deep South, cotton town where the blacks and whites treat each other like they don't know the slaves have been freed.

Dallas is a large, fast paced, booming, diverse, multicultural, cosmopolitan city where if anything, people are far more worried about money and class than race or ethnicity.

The OP will be just fine in Dallas.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareCelebi View Post
White families here are generally more established than minorities families (due to racial problems in the past) and in those areas there are generally better schools and better opportunities.
Okay, but that's EVERYWHERE in the USA. I HATE to see people use this as some kind of indicator to say that "Dallas is sooooo 'segregated!!!'" when the very same thing applies to any city or town you find in the United States; that is NOT a Dallas thing.

Quote:
While the city of Dallas is putting money into South Dallas and Oakcliff, I think it would be great if we had more black professionals immigrating into the city.
Not trying to pick on you, but again, what are you talking about? Dallas has been one of the top cities for professional black transplants for at least the past decade, and new ones keep arriving every day. But the thing is that since they are professionals, most of them tend to migrate to and settle down in the areas where other professionals and other people of their income levels live, work, and play, and where---as you said yourself---there are more amenities, such as better schools. You can take that how you want to, but professional people with higher incomes---regardless of their color---are going to tend to migrate to and live in areas where there are others in their income bracket and where their education, profession, and income can afford them a better, wider selection of the amenities that come along with being educated, professional, and having a good income; even if some of the homes look nice in Southern parts of the Dallas metro, like Cedar Hill or DeSoto, how many good schools do they have out there, what are the average property values like compared to comparable homes in the Central and Northern part of the metro, and how many amenities are out that way? My point exactly...

Old 01-31-2015, 11:38 PM

7 posts, read 10,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Okay, but that's EVERYWHERE in the USA. I HATE to see people use this as some kind of indicator to say that "Dallas is sooooo 'segregated!!!'" when the very same thing applies to any city or town you find in the United States; that is NOT a Dallas thing.

Not trying to pick on you, but again, what are you talking about? Dallas has been one of the top cities for professional black transplants for at least the past decade, and new ones keep arriving every day. But the thing is that since they are professionals, most of them tend to migrate to and settle down in the areas where other professionals and other people of their income levels live, work, and play, and where---as you said yourself---there are more amenities, such as better schools. You can take that how you want to, but professional people with higher incomes---regardless of their color---are going to tend to migrate to and live in areas where there are others in their income bracket and where their education, profession, and income can afford them a better, wider selection of the amenities that come along with being educated, professional, and having a good income; even if some of the homes look nice in Southern parts of the Dallas metro, like Cedar Hill or DeSoto, how many good schools do they have out there, what are the average property values like compared to comparable homes in the Central and Northern part of the metro, and how many amenities are out that way? My point exactly...
I never said Dallas was more segregated than other city and I haven't travelled enough to say it is. I'm not basing what I said on any fact, simply saying my opinion based on my experience as a Dallas native and the 2 different areas Dallas I have lived in. From what I know there's a good number of black professionals who move here but don't stay here. Once again not basing this on fact, just my opinion from the same reason as before. I agree with what you said about why there are difference in amenities, but I'm talking about community here and also proximity to the city center. There are communities for other races that do well in Dallas, not just white, like Korean, Persian, and Indian that also close to the city center. I'd also say that most people seek some sort of community where there are people similar socioeconomic status and of the same race. If OP is seeking a community like that I'd say there isn't much of a community of black professionals in Dallas. I think that is also why Dallas is perceived as racist by a lot of people who don't live here, despite the fact that there are a lot of opportunities. Places like Atlanta and Houston have better community.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:00 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
Got into an argument with my next door neighbor because he threw up on the doorstep of my apartment and refused to clean it up. The guy drove a 5-series BMW, threw racial slurs at me (I'm AA) and claimed that he didn't have to clean anything up because he made more money than me. (Claimed he was a highly ranked juvenile detention officer )

I looked up his salary on Texas Tribune, he made significantly less than I did. (Around 40-50k less)

One of the reasons I'm leaving Uptown, or at least where I live. There are a lot of d-bags that seem to always move into my apartment complex.
So who ended up cleaning the puke?

Quote:
I never said Dallas was more segregated than other city and I haven't travelled enough to say it is. I'm not basing what I said on any fact, simply saying my opinion based on my experience as a Dallas native and the 2 different areas Dallas I have lived in. From what I know there's a good number of black professionals who move here but don't stay here. Once again not basing this on fact, just my opinion from the same reason as before. I agree with what you said about why there are difference in amenities, but I'm talking about community here and also proximity to the city center. There are communities for other races that do well in Dallas, not just white, like Korean, Persian, and Indian that also close to the city center. I'd also say that most people seek some sort of community where there are people similar socioeconomic status and of the same race. If OP is seeking a community like that I'd say there isn't much of a community of black professionals in Dallas. I think that is also why Dallas is perceived as racist by a lot of people who don't live here, despite the fact that there are a lot of opportunities. Places like Atlanta and Houston have better community.
Very good post. Your last sentence especially. I have family moving back to Houston from DFW for those same reasons (better community)

Old 02-01-2015, 08:11 AM

385 posts, read 489,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
So who ended up cleaning the puke?
Ha. He did. He eventually got evicted a few months later. I've seen people get evicted, and cars repossessed due to people trying to keep up with the "Uptown lifestyle".

Old 02-01-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Well let me ask you this: Is it the city of Dallas' fault that black people don't have a sense of community, as you put it, like all the other racial and ethnic groups in Dallas do, or the black/AA people who live in Dallas' fault?

And also, all the many black professionals I know in Dallas have been here for years and love it. We have no problem finding each other, getting together, and hanging out. But what we as black professionals and transplants to Dallas DO notice and often talk about is how divided and self-segregated many of the NATIVE black Dallasites seem to be. Especially in a such a huge and diverse city and metro that has so much to offer and that every other group who moves to Dallas from whites, to Mexicans, to Indians, to Vietnamese, to Nigerians, etc. seem to really come together and take advantage of.

As I said rareCelebi, I was not picking on you and I'm sorry if it came off that way. I was just using your post to make my point because it was so filled with the much of the same type of stuff that you hear over and over and over again about the Black/AA community in Dallas that isn't necessarily true, but always comes up in conversations like this (like that stupid, outdated D Magazine article that acts like Dallas is a city where all the black people cower in fear of local Bubbas and "know to stay in their place" and has absolutely nothing to offer to black professionals moving here.)

Old 02-01-2015, 08:18 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
Ha. He did. He eventually got evicted a few months later. I've seen people get evicted, and cars repossessed due to people trying to keep up with the "Uptown lifestyle".
Same here. I had a coworker at my job in Arlington that lived in Uptown. He bought a brand new Tahoe (murdered out too) and lived in Uptown. Could barely afford payments and within five months, he was back home in his bedroom before renting a cheaper apartment a little north of Uptown on Mockingbird. Use to always complain that things were to expensive. We were all like, then why are you living over there?

Old 02-01-2015, 08:55 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
The phrase "$30,000 millionaire" comes to mind.

For what a lot of those young people pay in Uptown to rent an apartment, I have a mortgage payment (WITH escrowed taxes and insurance) on a 3/2/2 house.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:55 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Very good post. Your last sentence especially. I have family moving back to Houston from DFW for those same reasons (better community)
A better community? I didn't realize black people in Houston were better than black people in DFW.

Also, I would argue that if one is talking about an upper class black community in DFW they missed Cedar Hill and other parts of the area.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:34 AM

15 posts, read 49,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Well let me ask you this: Is it the city of Dallas' fault that black people don't have a sense of community, as you put it, like all the other racial and ethnic groups in Dallas do, or the black/AA people who live in Dallas' fault?

And also, all the many black professionals I know in Dallas have been here for years and love it. We have no problem finding each other, getting together, and hanging out. But what we as black professionals and transplants to Dallas DO notice and often talk about is how divided and self-segregated many of the NATIVE black Dallasites seem to be. Especially in a such a huge and diverse city and metro that has so much to offer and that every other group who moves to Dallas from whites, to Mexicans, to Indians, to Vietnamese, to Nigerians, etc. seem to really come together and take advantage of.

As I said rareCelebi, I was not picking on you and I'm sorry if it came off that way. I was just using your post to make my point because it was so filled with the much of the same type of stuff that you hear over and over and over again about the Black/AA community in Dallas that isn't necessarily true, but always comes up in conversations like this (like that stupid, outdated D Magazine article that acts like Dallas is a city where all the black people cower in fear of local Bubbas and "know to stay in their place" and has absolutely nothing to offer to black professionals moving here.)
So what you're saying is that the only blacks who can thrive in Dallas are the ones who totally assimilate and avoid other blacks? And how is that article outdated when it was only written about 4 years ago? I seriously doubt things have changed that much. This isn't the first time that Ive heard that the black professional community is lacking in Dallas compared to DC or Atlanta (but those two cities are outliers to be fair) or even Houston, which seems to be the center of black culture in Texas. So there must be some truth to what is being said, no matter how much you attempt to deny it or get all emotional about this topic. There are other cities that are lacking for Black Professionals, and while Dallas isnt at the bottom, it isn't at the top either. If a black professional is seeking a city with lots of other black professionals, there are plenty of cities in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic that are better for that aspect than the region where Dallas is.

I do agree about the sense of separation between the black natives vs the transplants though. Probably why the comparisons between Dallas and Memphis come up too. Up until the 60's and 70's, the only jobs most black natives of Dallas could get were cleaning offices in downtown or houses in the Park Cities. This was the case in other cities, but cities like DC, Atlanta, and Houston had HBCU's there that created a cohesive population of educated black professionals. This was not the case in Dallas. From blacks in Dallas who I know, it seems that a black person from more integrated places like California or Florida have an easier time adjusting, but a black person from a city like DC, Atlanta, or Chicago would have an easier time culturally adjusting to Houston.

Be that as it may, in this day and age of Meetup.com and Facebook, there are ways for people to come together with similar backgrounds, so I'd say if people make a more concerted effort to meet with black professionals, life is what you make it. (Im speaking in general, not at you directly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello
A better community? I didn't realize black people in Houston were better than black people in DFW.
I don't think he's saying that at all, but way to try and create a diversion and disinformation. I think Trae is saying that there seems to be a more united and educated community of black professionals in Houston who are both established natives and transplants, which is NOT the case in Dallas, where there seems to be a lot more class division. But Houston natives seem to be pretty biased about this subject in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas