Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:26 PM

88 posts, read 153,358 times

Advertisements

Moving from So Cal. Future work location near Legacy Center in Plano. I have an 8th Grader, will be attending High school next summer. Good student with straight As. Home budget - ~ $600K

I am unable to decide between buying an existing home within the PW Sr. High school area vs. buying a new home at Lawler Park. Any suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,631 times
Frisco HS has 1800 kids in 9-12 grades.

Plano has 2700 to 3000 kids in the 11-12 grade at their senior high school.

You couldn't pay me to send my children to a HS with 1500 kids in their graduating class. But then I'm in the minority, as it seems a lot of folks are willing to spend a lot of money to send their kids there.

Think about your High School experience and what you want for your child. There are pro's and con's in several previous posts.

If you aren't planning on staying for very long, the resale is typically better in Plano.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:12 PM

446 posts, read 845,898 times
Might be helpful to lay out your priorities..is it school, is it resale, your personal preference on new vs. existing, etc. Already know how this thread is going to end up ... Plano ISD vs. Frisco ISD comparisons and "mature trees" vs "cookie cutter new construction."

Old 01-27-2015, 03:20 PM

206 posts, read 334,957 times
If you are new to the area, moving in, existing homes in Plano, no brainer.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,373 times
Will your spouse be working?

I work at Legacy/DNT and I'd pick Plano if I were you. And this is coming from someone who lives in Frisco, but my husband works in Denton so it's a good middle ground for us.

Also, would you not consider existing homes in Frisco? Just curious because Richwoods and Lawler Park seem really high for what you get.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,426 times
I don't think it is such a simple question.
1) does your spouse work and where?
2) is the plano house 30 years old vs new build?
.... Etc

need more information in your ask for help!

Old 01-27-2015, 03:48 PM

206 posts, read 334,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post

Also, would you not consider existing homes in Frisco? Just curious because Richwoods and Lawler Park seem really high for what you get.
The newer homes have updated floor plan, much efficient, energy efficient, customize to a certain point what we missed in our existing Plano home, to name a few advantages and of course newer compared to 10-12 years old homes right across in Hunter's creek which is somewhat comparable and not considerably cheaper either. Matter of fact I know people who live in Hunter's Creek building in those communities.

Not trying to argue, but the OP's budget is $600K and the reason he is looking at Plano is the ISD. If he is settling for Frisco ISD, as well go for the newer build which will only be 10 years old after 10 years whereas an existing 10-12 years home will be 20-22 years old in 10 years. Just my two cents.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:48 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonelion View Post
Moving from So Cal. Future work location near Legacy Center in Plano. I have an 8th Grader, will be attending High school next summer. Good student with straight As. Home budget - ~ $600K

I am unable to decide between buying an existing home within the PW Sr. High school area vs. buying a new home at Lawler Park. Any suggestions are welcome.
Depends on your priorities. Frisco ISD vs. Plano ISD is always good for a "bring out the popcorn" debate, but the short answer there is that Frisco schools are good, Plano's are arguably the best in DFW. BUT, as noted, Plano schools are HYOOGE while Frisco is keeping theirs smaller, and there's pros and cons to both.

Frisco will generally give you more bang for the buck house-wise, as it's further from downtown Dallas (and the schools as noted). The "further from downtown" doesn't matter much to you as you'll be near Legacy Center, but you never know if things will change. Frisco has more new construction than Plano, if that matters a lot to you. Another thing on the school front is that Frisco is growing rapidly so at least some schools are being rezoned regularly. Dunno if that applies to the area you're looking at, however. Frisco denizens can chime in on that.

Like anything, it depends on which factors are most important to you personally.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:34 PM

88 posts, read 153,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
I don't think it is such a simple question.
1) does your spouse work and where?
2) is the plano house 30 years old vs new build?
.... Etc

need more information in your ask for help!
My wife does;t work now. But she is planning to return to work.
Most of the Plano homes we are looking at are 1990 - 1995 built. But we are getting fed up with not much inventory out there.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:47 PM

35 posts, read 96,003 times
Clonelion,
Look at the 10% rule also(below wikipedia link). I think that will make your decision more easy(or Complicated-) in regard to the school choice..
Texas House Bill 588 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: