Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:36 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times

Advertisements

Personally, I would not be happy with mismatched appliances and if I were to buy a home with some, I'd be asking for an incentive so I could turn around and replace them. When I had my home built, while at the design center I chose all the same manufacturer & color. I got plenty of eye-rolls from people, but hey I didn't care. I wanted those appliances to match. My boyfriend at the time thought I was being overly-picky. New boyfriend likes matchy-match stuff too. A match made in heaven :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 01:02 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiczpak View Post
Local realtors advise that, as a general rule, kitchen appliances must adhere to a strict code of uniformity. To vary from that code without good reason is a very important decision with far-reaching and possibly unintended dramatic consequences. You might want to think very carefully about it, and probably do a lot more internet research before taking such a risk. Proceeding without considerable evaluation could threaten the integrity of the design scheme. and even seriously devalue the home.

I know from experience. I have a Whirlpool refrigerator and KitchenAid stove and washer. Although they're made by the same company, people just can't accept the differences in paint and texture. I can't sell the house unless I take a loss or replace everything.

Local realtors advising you are pretty silly IMO. It might be their own "ideal" to having matching appliances, but I seriously doubt that your loss will be noticeable. BTW - I am a real estate appraiser (31 years). Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:07 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Local realtors advising you are pretty silly IMO. It might be their own "ideal" to having matching appliances, but I seriously doubt that your loss will be noticeable. BTW - I am a real estate appraiser (31 years). Just my 2 cents.
The internet SO needs a sarcasm font.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:38 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,040 times
A few years ago my wife decided that she liked stainless so everything in kitchen is stainless. We are freshening up and she decided that some of the trim was dating our kitchen so she had painter rip out the hooded trim over the sink. Guess what the lighting fixture is ugly. I was fortunate to catch him getting ready to tear out trim over built in desk.

I took the painter aside and told him that if he wants to get all of the final payment for his work he best not change anything else at least before talking to me.

My wife should be happy we painted our bedroom and installed french door. New furniture for living room. New car and I have agreed that when paining is done we will look at new counter tops. I hope that the next owner likes it and just does not tear it all out.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
A few years ago my wife decided that she liked stainless so everything in kitchen is stainless. We are freshening up and she decided that some of the trim was dating our kitchen so she had painter rip out the hooded trim over the sink. Guess what the lighting fixture is ugly. I was fortunate to catch him getting ready to tear out trim over built in desk.

I took the painter aside and told him that if he wants to get all of the final payment for his work he best not change anything else at least before talking to me.

My wife should be happy we painted our bedroom and installed french door. New furniture for living room. New car and I have agreed that when paining is done we will look at new counter tops. I hope that the next owner likes it and just does not tear it all out.
Sounds like you should be discussing this with your wife.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:43 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,512 times
When we bought our house 21 years ago (it was 16 years old at the time), it came with Whirlpool black glass double wall ovens, stainless Jennaire downdraft cooktop and, horror of horrors, an avocado green Kitchenaid dishwasher - all of which were in perfect physical condition and perfect working order - and to top off the menagerie we brought with us the almond colored Hotpoint refrigerator from our previous home. I'm so ashamed, lol. Talk about a hodge-podge. The first thing we did was paint the dishwasher front panel almond to match the refrigerator, which instantly made everything look more cohesive. Did mismatched appliances devalue the price we paid? I don't think so. Although we have all matching appliances now (stainless Kitchenaid Architect Series) except for the cooktop (glass top Jennaire), I think matching finishes and/or colors is more important than brands.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:17 AM

153 posts, read 226,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I seriously doubt that your loss will be noticeable. BTW - I am a real estate appraiser (31 years).
Owned.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:52 PM

98 posts, read 121,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmaverick1 View Post
We have choice to make while building our home. We like most of the appliances from one brand while Cooking Range/Vent Hood from another brand.
Is it a big No-No? Do y'all see any issues with it?
Thank you in advance for your response.
I say if it makes you happy, who gives a hoot! Do what you want.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:33 PM

436 posts, read 579,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Personally, I would not be happy with mismatched appliances and if I were to buy a home with some, I'd be asking for an incentive so I could turn around and replace them. When I had my home built, while at the design center I chose all the same manufacturer & color. I got plenty of eye-rolls from people, but hey I didn't care. I wanted those appliances to match. My boyfriend at the time thought I was being overly-picky. New boyfriend likes matchy-match stuff too. A match made in heaven :-)
I just sold a home for $$$ over the listing price that had mis-matched (all stainless though) appliances. Requests to discount the price would have been declined, the Dallas housing market is hot right now. FYIW all of the stainless was the same color. I didn't like the refrigerator in the line the range and dishwasher came in so I got a different brand for the fridge when it needed to be replaced. I think "go with" is just fine. Selecting your appliances at a design center is a whole different thing from purchasing an existing home in a desirable location in this incendiary market. Location, supply, demand and the actual home are going to trump the matchy-matchy appliances (or lack thereof) and make it somewhat of a non-issue.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
I just sold a home for $$$ over the asking price that had mis-matched (all stainless though) appliances. Requests to discount the price would have been declined, the Dallas housing market is hot right now. FYIW all of the stainless was the same color. I didn't like the refrigerator in the line the range and dishwasher came in so I got a different brand for the fridge when it needed to be replaced. I think "go with" is just fine. Selecting your appliances at a design center is a whole different thing from purchasing an existing home in a desirable location in this incendiary market. Location, supply, demand and the actual home are going to trump the matchy-matchy appliances (or lack thereof) and make it somewhat of a non-issue.
If anything, a kitchen full of appliances all from the same brand would be a turnoff for me because I'd assume the people who chose them put no thought into the actual function or quality of said appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas