Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:23 PM

446 posts, read 845,458 times

Advertisements

+1 to the above, 7-10% is a good rule of thumb. Note also that Toll doesn't give as much in design/structural "allowances" as a lot of the other builders. This is especially true in their "hot" communities. When we looked at their Terracina in FloMo Phase 2, they were only offering $14K in allowance vs. many other builders usually give $20-25K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 03:22 PM

49 posts, read 95,687 times
+2 to the above, don't forget the Lot Premiums. Most likely the lot you end up liking almost always has a lot premium...

Old 01-28-2015, 07:01 PM

21 posts, read 47,780 times
All - Thanks for your valuable inputs. I am planning to visit toll brothers this weekend to talk in detail, I will keep all those points in my mind before I make decision.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:55 PM

8 posts, read 11,411 times
Be careful in dealing with their sales people, I've heard several complaints. I do like that community. Sometimes updating energy efficiency and refreshing cosmetics makes better business case than paying for new, specially if you are looking for bigger lot, pleasant commute, schools of your choice and established landscape/neighborhood.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 PM

95 posts, read 163,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx75063 View Post
Thank you everyone for prompt response.

Runn - If I plan to live there at least for 5 years, will I break even? I understand it is tough to answer as depends on lot of factors, but would like to understand your point of view. You think traffic will be less congested after 2499 construction?

LeagleEagleDFW - The creekside is in better location and bigger community but more pricey. So I have to strike that out.

FalconheadWest - I meant, is preserve in less desirable location within flower mound? I have no doubts about FM.

nawvtanzi09 - Thank for providing valuable information on new communities. Darling @ Hunters Glen will be same price point as toll brothers and further north, american legend could be less expensive (they were in lake side). Parkside at woodlake sounds interesting, I hope small lot doesn't mean patio homes there.

Based on location, can anyone help me sort below communities, highest to lowest sought after/desirable location?
1. Preserve - 550K
2. Lakeside DFW - 550K
3. Hunters Glen - 550K
4. Parkside Woodlake - 450K
5. Megatel - The Riverwalk - 400-450K
???? any other communities?

Thanks much!
Hello - Sorry for the delay as I've been having some technical difficulties that I believe I've resolved.
Ok, if you live in the community for 5 years you might be okay, but, frankly, there's too many variables to say for certain. There is lots of building in FM but most of it is south of this development. The majority of the area where you are looking is mostly built out, and that is always great for appreciation and resale. IMHO, I don't see you having much of an issue in FM, but you might not make as much if the city continues to draw new developments. Since the schools are good and the taxes are some of the lowest in the metroplex, you should have little to no worries.

The ingress/egress to FM will remain limited, regardless of the road expansion. 2499 expansion will be SUPER once completed, yet because of all the housing/commercial developments that are happening, and those that are planned, the congestion will always be an issue. If you really want to be in the area, then I'd not let that fact deter you.

As side note, we built a TB home about 6 years ago, and I'd NEVER build or buy one of their homes again! They were extremely arrogant to work with, and when it came to fixing things or making changes, as a result of poor workmanship/quality, they really didn't care and acted as though they were the only builder in town? Likewise, the construction process was pathetic, with little to no updates regarding progress, changes, setbacks, yada, yada, yada. So many things weren't done in a high quality fashion... we were very disappointed after hearing how they were "all this and all that." For our next project, we will build with Standard Pacific, Darling, American Legend, Holmes (poss Khov-still researching them) or a custom builder. We are looking at Southlake, Colleyville, Flour Mound and Grapevine. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:06 PM

Investor007 - Thanks for info. Can I make an older say 1996 house energy efficient? If yes, any rough idea on cost, say for 3500 sqft house?
Runn - Thanks for info. Any idea on Darling vs Toll Brothers? Other than structural changes how much typically one spends on design center?

Thanks
Jay

Old 01-31-2015, 11:20 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,761,925 times
It's pretty easy to make a house more energy efficient. We did radiant barrier at ours, which had a huge impact on electric bills.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:48 AM

if you don't mind sharing, how much did it cost and how much did you save per month in energy?

Old 02-02-2015, 12:08 PM

7 posts, read 14,753 times
Default Coppell

I wouldn't rule out Coppell!!! We live at 121 and Denton Tap now near East Lake and it is a nice area and convenient to everything. Our kids are grown now but the schools are some of the best in DFW. We are considering a downsize now that we are empty-nesters and want to stay in Coppell we like it so much! Shopping, dining, airport...I would explore your options before ruling out the city of Coppell. We have loved it for 10+ years.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 14,753 times
Default Love Coppell Area

Don't rule out Coppell!!! We live in the 121/Denton Tap area and we love it! Our kids went to Coppell schools and they are fabulous. Some of the best in DFW. We are about to be empty-nester with our youngest a senior this year. Considering a downsize to some of the new construction in the area. Really want to stay in Coppell for convenience and looking at Toll Brothers as a serious option. Just around the corner from our current home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: