Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:18 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,741,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenven View Post
Not sure at all... I plan to take a few clippings to the nursery to be sure. But the blades are thick..not fine at all like (I think) Bermuda is supposed to be...or do I have this all backwards ?

My other question remains though... do we need to use any pre-emergent yet ?
I do have weeds showing up already and I see lawn crews walking around the neighborhood doing god knows what.
The PP is not correct. It is very much possible that you have St. Augustine. We had it at our old house along with every other neighbor on the block. If you have a new home in a new neighborhood, then yes it's likely it's bermuda. It's pretty drought tolerant and cheaper for the builders to get established in neighborhoods with no tree coverage to speak of.

At the moment those lawn crews are quite likely trying to talk people into letting them "top off" their crepe myrtles. DO NOT let them do that. It's just a gimmick to keep the landscapers in business during their slow period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:39 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
Are you sure about Saint Augustine ? It is all Bermuda grass here. Search for bermuda bible in Google. It has all the steps for each month/season wise. There is a small forum section if you need specific help.
That's not correct. I've had St. Augustine and see it around all the time.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:48 PM

64 posts, read 86,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
Various cities to do provide free workshop for lawn care. I just attended the one in Frisco...... as per the instructor don't use weeds killer at all. Prefer to take them out manually and use good quality fertilizer around in April or May (I have to see the presentation notes when I reach home to confirm the month).
Good tip...thanks

Old 02-04-2015, 01:16 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,022,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenven View Post
Not sure at all... I plan to take a few clippings to the nursery to be sure. But the blades are thick..not fine at all like (I think) Bermuda is supposed to be...or do I have this all backwards ?

My other question remains though... do we need to use any pre-emergent yet ?
I do have weeds showing up already and I see lawn crews walking around the neighborhood doing god knows what.
Try to find out your grass type. Check this website. They have detailed steps (schedule for mowing, fertilizing, watering and weed control) for all the lawn care. There are dedicated forums to get specific help. You can post your grass/weeds and request them to identify.

Bermuda Bible - aroundtheyard.com

Old 02-04-2015, 02:20 PM

931 posts, read 2,133,947 times
I pay a yard man 25 dollars per cutting who comes every week in summer and as needed during fall, winter and spring. He does extra when needed but his charges are always reasonable.

My advise is get someone to help you.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
I pay a yard man 25 dollars per cutting who comes every week in summer and as needed during fall, winter and spring. He does extra when needed but his charges are always reasonable.

My advise is get someone to help you.
I love yard work and honestly - its the only form of exercise I get. So getting someone to help me is option B though I'm not ruling it out entirely.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:50 PM

And I found this :

https://dallas.tamu.edu/courses/2015...e-maintenance/

Its FREE :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: