Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:30 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,459,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kierk76 View Post
Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far.

My wife will be looking for a job once we move and, given what she does, there's a decent chance she'll be working in or near downtown Dallas or up in University Park. I'd like to find a neighborhood that is in shorter commuting distance to these areas (my wife doesn't like to drive much), but not terribly far away from Mesquite either. It looks like the area just east of White Rock Lake would be a good bet.
Lake Highlands is a good area, and might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't think they meant that the bridge itself is scary, but the volume of traffic on it.
I've only been on it a handful of times (never peak hours) and there was always heavy traffic. I see a lot of car accidents there reported on the news too. With that said, Rockwall is a really nice town.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:16 PM

18,494 posts, read 7,252,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Mesquite is big. Assuming your job is closer to I-30 and you are considering private school, I would look in the neighborhoods directly east of White Rock Lake in Dallas. Zip codes are 75218 and 75228. Lochwood, Old Lake Highlands, Little Forest Hills are all neighborhoods that could work. You're probably looking at 15 minute commute. Homes zoned to Hexter Elem will also offer you a public option for K-5.

Richardson is good but much further away. If you thought you wanted to use public schools, I'd recommend Lake Highlands, which is a neighborhood in northeast Dallas that is in Richardson schools. There are houses in your price range just to the northeast of Audelia & Northwest Hwy.
Great advice, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,344 times
Thanks again everyone for the kind advice. It sounds like Rockwell would be a good option since it's close to Mesquite. But I'm still liking Richardson, since it's closer to the city. I know the commute wouldn't be ideal, but I currently live on the westside of Los Angeles. I'm used to horrifying commutes. Just last night I drove seven miles in one hour. I figure my commute from Richardson to Mesquite, depending on when I leave, would be around 30 min or so. Seems reasonable to me.

Am I right about that estimation?

Old 02-11-2015, 07:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,083,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kierk76 View Post
Thanks again everyone for the kind advice. It sounds like Rockwell would be a good option since it's close to Mesquite. But I'm still liking Richardson, since it's closer to the city. I know the commute wouldn't be ideal, but I currently live on the westside of Los Angeles. I'm used to horrifying commutes. Just last night I drove seven miles in one hour. I figure my commute from Richardson to Mesquite, depending on when I leave, would be around 30 min or so. Seems reasonable to me.

Am I right about that estimation?
Depends on the number of miles you'll be driving and the time of day. Plus accidents. Traffic in DFW at rush hour is usually 2-3 minutes per mile; I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Ultimately it's up to you; nobody here's going to take it personally if you don't plump for their suburb and only you can decide what area you like and what kind of commute you can stomach.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2015, 05:38 AM

11,816 posts, read 26,653,817 times
Lengthy commutes really aren't necessary in DFW since we have great places to live all over the metroplex. It's your choice to make a long commute, but most people would fahter's live closer to their work, save the wear and tear on their car, and have mor eit me with their family instead of sitting in traffic.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:11 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,553,852 times
From Canyon Creek and Campbell to Belt Line and Davis in Mesquite right now shows 29 minutes. It's 21 miles. That time will probably be increasing shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas