Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,491 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Dallas area and was wondering what the best city would be to raise a family Lancaster, DeSoto or Grand Prairie? Good schools, safe area, nice neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:08 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Where is your work located?
How far/long of a commute are you willing to tolerrate?
What's your budget for housing?

Honestly, those three you listed are usually in the bottom half, and Lancaster is close to the bottom...

Old 02-08-2015, 09:19 PM

385 posts, read 488,981 times
Look up the Westchester area in south Grand Prairie. Zoned to Powell Elementary and Reagan MS. GP schools generally aren't good, but those two are excellent options. I'll look up some metrics in a bit. The test scores are comparable to some of the public elementary schools recommended on this board.

That area is safe, affordable, with an awesome elementary and middle school. Go private for high school if you choose that area. The high school is terrible.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:34 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,295 times
Hello MarieNoVA,

I've lived in two of the three cities you inquired about - DeSoto for 16 years and Lancaster since 2006. There are nice neighborhoods in both cities that are safe and family friendly. Grand Prairie is a large suburb with a variety of neighborhoods. Areas south of I-20 near Joe Pool Lake are the most popular. DeSoto and Lancaster are mid-sized communities by DFW standards. There aren't that many people posting on this forum who actually live in the southern suburbs, know the different neighborhoods, and have first hand knowledge of local schools, amenities, and activities. You can have a good quality of life in DeSoto, Lancaster, or Grand Prairie. They all have experienced significant population growth and development recently, but happen to be located outside of the few "it" areas that virtually ever newcomer is steered to. Regarding education, I'm a product of DeSoto schools and received a quality education there. Broad generalizations about southern suburb schools should be taken with a grain of salt. Once you narrow down your search, I highly recommend contacting the school district to see what academic programs and resources they have to best serve your child/children.

If you could provide your housing budget, which schools are needed (Elementary, Middle, High), and your place of employment if you plan on commuting, it would be easier for us to assist. Be sure to search older threads on the southern suburbs for more information.

I hope this helps and welcome to the area

Last edited by Acntx; 02-09-2015 at 04:53 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 01:57 PM

170 posts, read 369,756 times
I bought in Lancaster just a few years ago and have found it to be a nice little town. We are beginning to see some growth and my property value has certainly increased in the last couple of years.

I agree with above, it isnt one of the "it" locations like Friso or Plano that every one is directed to. But if you want affordable housing in quiet neighborhoods, with a decent commute, this is a place to consider. I keep saying to people, there are only so many houses that can be built up north without going so far north that the commute is unbearable, then people with start expanding south. When that happens and my property value goes up, I will already be here.....

Old 04-02-2015, 02:08 PM

385 posts, read 488,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
I bought in Lancaster just a few years ago and have found it to be a nice little town. We are beginning to see some growth and my property value has certainly increased in the last couple of years.

I agree with above, it isnt one of the "it" locations like Friso or Plano that every one is directed to. But if you want affordable housing in quiet neighborhoods, with a decent commute, this is a place to consider. I keep saying to people, there are only so many houses that can be built up north without going so far north that the commute is unbearable, then people with start expanding south. When that happens and my property value goes up, I will already be here.....
Some of the schools seem to be improving as well.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:32 AM

29 posts, read 44,421 times
DeSoto is an excellent city to look into. The biggest factor is going to be your proximity to your job and the commute that you have to deal with. I am fortunate to work in Downtown Dallas and my employer pays for a yearly train/bus pass, so I drive 10 minutes to the train station and commute on train for 20 minutes directly into my office from DeSoto.
There are many nice stores, schools and other amenities in this city. It is also close to other places so you can venture out and shop as needed in other cities.
I agree with Actnx in the notion that many posters do not stay in the southern region and I almost overlooked DeSoto solely based on some people's statistical opinion and not the practical day to day life.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:07 AM

73 posts, read 102,657 times
Desoto and Grand Prairie are excellent suburbs for raising families. They have a good range of home prices. What is your price range? Where would your job be located? The commute to downtown is not bad during rush hours from these suburbs.

As far as great neighborhoods, I would say the Westchester neighborhoods in Grand Prairie (off Interstate 20 & S Carrier Pkwy) and Silver Creek Meadows, Frost Farms, Windmill Hill, Club Ridge Estates in Desoto are all good areas.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:12 AM

170 posts, read 369,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
Some of the schools seem to be improving as well.
LISD recently received an award for what they have done to improve the schools and the Superintendant gave a talk at SMU about how he has been able to improve. We also just passed a bond election for improving the existing schools and building new. I am excited about how that is going to help direct people to the area and help with property values.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:32 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
They are all fine as far as offering good quality of living; but as far as performing schools, in this order:

1. Grand Prairie in its SW areas that are zoned to the Mansfield school district
2. DeSoto
3. Grand Prairie in GP school district
4. Lancaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas