Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 5,246 times

Advertisements

I have my Associate of Applied Science in Paralegal Studies with over 91 Cumulative Credits at Kaplan University and now I want to get my Bachelor in Education. However when I went to UTA only three of my classes transferred. So basically have four years of schooling if I want to teach(start all over again). My question is where can I get my Bachelor that will take my AAS in a lot shorter time? I'm not picking on what kind of Bachelor I get just as long as I have one and get a Certification of Teaching. I've checked at texasteachers.org but it doesn't direct me where I can get a Accelerated Certification Teaching in Texas. I would like to teach 4-8 grade or even high school - subject Journalism. Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 01:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,482,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2Jo View Post
I have my Associate of Applied Science in Paralegal Studies with over 91 Cumulative Credits at Kaplan University and now I want to get my Bachelor in Education. However when I went to UTA only three of my classes transferred. So basically have four years of schooling if I want to teach(start all over again). My question is where can I get my Bachelor that will take my AAS in a lot shorter time? I'm not picking on what kind of Bachelor I get just as long as I have one and get a Certification of Teaching. I've checked at texasteachers.org but it doesn't direct me where I can get a Accelerated Certification Teaching in Texas. I would like to teach 4-8 grade or even high school - subject Journalism. Thanks for your feedback.
Why be a teacher? Paralegal is better prospects. Some paralegals make 100K per year. Then go on to law school.

IMO, prospects as a teacher in Tx right now are lackluster. Opportunities took a header in 2008-09 and haven't fully recovered yet. If we run into another recession, first thing to go will be the kiddies crayons, but there will always be plenty of opportunities to gold dig via litigation. And lawyers who make 10M will be happy to let you do all the work for $100K.

Your high school history book is chock full of pictures of rich lawyers. Not so many teachers. Think about it.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:36 PM

374 posts, read 549,208 times
I partly disagree with the previous poster and here's why...

If you are a 'specialized teacher' like art, special ed, etc. then those jobs often go on the chopping block when there are budget cuts. However, that rarely happens because they'll cut other things first like teacher assistant type positions and/or programs (e.g. Less money for technology programs). I've been a teacher for 8 years and never had to worry about my job being in jeopardy due to cuts. Why? Because there are students to fill the classrooms. If there are students, then there is a need for teachers.

OP, how can you transfer your degree? I have no clue. I wish I could help you. I would start by calling the admissions department at each college/ university and talk to them. Or call TEA and speak to someone about the accelerated program. But the grass is not greener, I promise you that. Good luck

Last edited by Allison81; 03-19-2015 at 07:51 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
Why be a teacher? Paralegal is better prospects. Some paralegals make 100K per year. Then go on to law school.

IMO, prospects as a teacher in Tx right now are lackluster. Opportunities took a header in 2008-09 and haven't fully recovered yet. If we run into another recession, first thing to go will be the kiddies crayons, but there will always be plenty of opportunities to gold dig via litigation. And lawyers who make 10M will be happy to let you do all the work for $100K.

Your high school history book is chock full of pictures of rich lawyers. Not so many teachers. Think about it.

A paralegal making 100k? My husband graduated magma *** laude from his law school. Very few of his classmates who are attorneys make 100k. Why? The market if FLOODED with lawyers right now.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,536,706 times
There is a reason teachers get "education" degrees. Just being knowledgeable in a subject does not automatically mean you can teach it well. I am not a fan of alternative certification, although I am certain there are exceptions. I know too many people in the profession for the schedule and not enough in it for the love of teaching.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:47 PM

^yes, true. Usually by year 5, a lot of teachers fizzle out and leave the profession. That includes the bad ones. If they're REALLY BAD. The principal runs them off pretty darn quick! For example, one guy who was hired over the summer, left by October!!! I have a feeling my boss had something to do with it. 'Tenure' is a thing of the past and if you're bad, you're out!

The pressure of testing breaks a lot of teachers. Classroom management is a major factor too. Students feed on the weak.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:05 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post

This is a wildly inaccurate statement through and through.

Just be a paralegal. Don't go to law school.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:33 AM

Thanks guys! It’s a difficult decision because I don’t want to regret not getting my Bachelors. I always wanted to teach but at the time I had my children I wanted to raise at home. By the time they were in middle school I went back to school & work and needed something to pay the bills. Now my children are grown and I’m single which means summers and holiday breaks mean nothing to me. I want to teach because it’s what I always wanted. I never had a great teacher growing up & it just makes me sad that I’m not the only one. However, my children have been very bliss to have some teachers that went out of their way to meet their students where their at.

Maybe I should get my Bachelors in Legal Studies like Trade Mark and continue my Paralegal career. Awee this is so hard. You guys are great, thanks again!!

Last edited by u2Jo; 03-20-2015 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: space

Old 03-20-2015, 12:49 PM

Where I can get a Accelerated Certification Teaching in Texas? I would like to teach 4-8 grade or even high school. I don't know what school would take my courses from Kaplan.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:52 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison81 View Post
A paralegal making 100k? My husband graduated magma *** laude from his law school. Very few of his classmates who are attorneys make 100k. Why? The market if FLOODED with lawyers right now.
Agreed....If we had children in college right now I would strongly advise them to not pursue law for that exact reason. Saturated is an understatement.I also agree with you on the salary point.Most of my friends from college who are attorneys (in their 30's) are not making more than $100,000 a year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: