Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:30 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Just curious, but where in the metroplex are people putting up signs that say "private well?"
Colleyville and Ft Worth are where I have seen them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 03:46 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My comment about water costs was based on future needs--not current--
I said right now most people consider water usage for the pool as negligible--
but in future people may pay a premium for water for their pool...
I'm buying a well barrel for this year, It should take care of the pool for the summer and I get some money from the city , it's an all win.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:22 AM

5 posts, read 7,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I'd say that's a pretty accurate statement, though I'd probably put the lower end at $250k, because there are lots of older homes in Plano, Allen, and Richardson that have pools that fall in that price range.

I think an exception to the above would be a home that has access to a community pool through the HOA. Lots of people decide not to build a pool if they have a community one they can use, even at the $500k price points.
Exactly!

Old 02-23-2015, 10:41 AM

21 posts, read 30,226 times
Thank you all for the feedback! It really helps!!!

Old 02-24-2015, 07:40 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
Pools are a lot of maintenance. You can either pay it out over time with proper care/service or neglect it and have to pay it later. Many just seem to neglect and want to dump the problems on unsuspecting homeowners.
I've known a couple people who have purchased homes with pools in the area that ended up filling them in.
When I lived in Florida, the pool (15,000 gallons) added about $150/month for operations (chems, cleaning, elec) with roughly $500/year in repairs (pumps, filter, plaster, etc) but it was pretty much 24/7 operations in that climate. Night swims were much more common for me than day. Here, I wouldn't want a pool. The swimming season isn't long enough to justify for me.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:31 AM

311 posts, read 450,794 times
My in-laws have a pool. Honestly, it's never really used unless there are extended family with kids involved and I personally think it's more of a hassle to deal with. We always have to drop by to clean things out when they're on vacation.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
When we looked last year, all the houses with pools were snatched up in a day. I personally had no desire whatsoever for a pool. They are a lot of maintenance and no one ends up using them. Hubby insisted we must have one, it was a deal breaker for him.

So got a pool. Son went in twice last year (once because I pushed him in). DD went in a few times. Other than that, it looks pretty. Along came winter, and a whole lot of problems. A leak, and a broken pump. We are going on three months now trying to get this thing fixed and running. I would love to fill in the whole and get rid of it.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:28 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,620 times
I suspect that if trends hold true water will cost more per gallon on a tier basis Say over 10,000 gallons the price will be 50% higher or maybe more. As it stands now in Dallas it cost is fairly inexpensive due to good planning in past. Since I use much less and my water, sanitation and storm water is costing over 100 bucks a month there is not much incentive to conserve.

I never considered a pool cause I always worried about safety. I also don't clime on my roof.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:08 PM

21 posts, read 30,226 times
Thank you for the feedback! We are now leaning towards no pool!!

Old 02-25-2015, 03:51 PM

55 posts, read 72,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And personally I think if you are considering moving to north Dallas within the next 5 years buying a house now is going to cost you money--especially if there is downturn in the RE market--
we can't just bank on the fact that houses are going to be increasing in value and you need to buy now to save your place on the escalator...
Consider trying to find new jobs in north Dallas now and just buy there for long term if that is your agenda...
Agreed. If OP wants to move in 4-5 years consider renting now, wait for a real estate bust / mini-bust / dip and then buy in North Dallas. Every time you buy a house you will incur about 6% in real estate agent fees (yes only explicitly when selling, but when you buy its implicitly in your purchase price).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas