U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 07:37 AM

21 posts, read 26,849 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My fiance and I started house hunting about 2 months ago and started noticing that a lot of houses in established neighborhoods have pools. Not being from Texas (I understand the need of a pool in the summer heat), we would like to know how desirable these homes are and if a pool has any negative impact at resale. Also, would like to know more about maintenance costs for a small-medium pool.

This would be our first home and we are looking in South Arlington, Grand Prairie and the Midcities. We definitely don't plan to stay there longer than 5-6 years as we would like to move to North Dallas (assuming we can find jobs up there) once is baby time.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 07:43 AM

21 posts, read 26,849 times
I forgot to mention how frustrating the market is right now. I used to think it was going to be a slam dunk cause nobody wants to live in Arlington or Grand Prairie, everyone is moving North... Yea right....we have lost 3 bidding wars already. We want to increase our odds by including houses with pools. Personally I prefer a pool than a yard, but my fiance disagrees (Although he has never owned a pool).

Old 02-20-2015, 08:05 AM

28 posts, read 34,990 times
It depends on your price point. In homes $500K and up, it's a must have in Texas. In $300K-500K, it's a personal prefrence. In homes $300K or less, it's an extra expense or weekly chore.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:20 AM

6,257 posts, read 14,297,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleT View Post
It depends on your price point. In homes $500K and up, it's a must have in Texas. In $300K-500K, it's a personal prefrence. In homes $300K or less, it's an extra expense or weekly chore.
I'd say that's a pretty accurate statement, though I'd probably put the lower end at $250k, because there are lots of older homes in Plano, Allen, and Richardson that have pools that fall in that price range.

I think an exception to the above would be a home that has access to a community pool through the HOA. Lots of people decide not to build a pool if they have a community one they can use, even at the $500k price points.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:28 AM

32,545 posts, read 51,084,504 times
i live in Mid-Cities and have for more than 30 years.
In the MidCities area most homes are older--towns were basically "built-out" by 90s in most areas so the homes you are likely looking at are at least 15 yrs old. You have to consider that most pools 15-25 yrs old are going to need a remodel which can be pretty expensive...there can also be issues with cracking due to ground shifting which might require repair or you might want to switch from chlorine to salt water system--which many people find more user friendly and less expensive but which can damage the area around the pool when salt water splashes out--depending on the type of material there...

In addition I think all of us need to be prepared for higher water rates--
all I am reading in the news is about the coming era of drought which will last for the forseeable future--
pools need water due to evaporation--adding water to a pool can be $ --right now people don't really consider that as a big negative because water is cheap but if you have to choose between buying water to wash your clothes or shower OR putting it in your pool--then you would likely choose personal needs over pool needs...
Problem of the future maybe more than now--but still something to consider--
Pools are likely to become items of conspicuous consumption in the next 12 years--

Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 AM

And personally I think if you are considering moving to north Dallas within the next 5 years buying a house now is going to cost you money--especially if there is downturn in the RE market--
we can't just bank on the fact that houses are going to be increasing in value and you need to buy now to save your place on the escalator...
Consider trying to find new jobs in north Dallas now and just buy there for long term if that is your agenda...

Old 02-20-2015, 08:44 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,105,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
In the MidCities area most homes are older--towns were basically "built-out" by 90s in most areas so the homes you are likely looking at are at least 15 yrs old. You have to consider that most pools 15-25 yrs old are going to need a remodel which can be pretty expensive...there can also be issues with cracking due to ground shifting which might require repair or you might want to switch from chlorine to salt water system--which many people find more user friendly and less expensive but which can damage the area around the pool when salt water splashes out--depending on the type of material there...

all I am reading in the news is about the coming era of drought which will last for a generation--
pools need water due to evaporation--adding water to a pool can be $ --right now people don't really consider that as a big negative because water is cheap but if you have to choose between buying water to wash your clothes or shower OR putting it in your pool--then you would likely choose personal needs over pool needs...
Pools are likely to become items of conspicuous consumption in the next 12 years--
This is all SO true. In our recent home search I just thought we had to have a pool so every house we looked at in Coppell, Colleyville and Grapevine had pools. Guess what? They all, every single one, needed at least $20k worth of work. So when people say that if you want a pool you should buy a house with one already installed, I don't necessarily agree. Not to mention many existing pools are so tacky to me but that is a matter of opinion.

My area is about to move to phase 2 water restrictions which means ONE weekly watering. Now, don't worry about the rich people in the splendiferous mansions- they have their darling little "private well" signs so they can water all they want. "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." WHEN will people realize it's all connected! We had a well at our last house but we used all the water saving measures we could. It is going to take some time to change wasteful attitudes.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:57 AM

718 posts, read 1,224,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

all I am reading in the news is about the coming era of drought which will last for the forseeable future--
That is absolutely not true , it doesn't cost much to refill as needed a pool. At worst it is $10 per month. And no , you do not want to switch a chlorine pool to a salt water one , the pipes are not compatible, that is the worst mistake that a pool owner can do.
The biggest expense for a pool owner is not the water bill it is the electric bill , if you use a regular pump. Newer pump with variable speeds are much better and consume less.
But for the OP , a lot of people like me , would not consider a house without a pool, it is fairly popular. I would rather have a smaller house than no pool. Summers are horrible here, and a pool is not a luxury.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:58 AM

We bought house in Bedford in early 80s that was new construction--
we didn't have money to have pool put in at that time and although our kids probably would have loved one, my husband and I were not "pool people" and never went that route. Our kids had friends in the neighborhood with pools and they went over to swim and we belonged to the Y on Central and they could swim there or at the Boys' Ranch pool or in Hurst--
but pools weren't that big a deal for us--but in probably half or more of the homes in our neighborhood--which was considered one of the "best" in Bedford then and now, had pools--which pretty much took up the entire back yard...
Now I think when you are looking at a home in that neighborhood, many people looking would prefer NOT to have a pool because they are 1--looking for yard space for nice outdoor kitchen setup and lounge area w/pergola (which seems to be the HGTV focus lately), 2--looking for yard for kids to play, 3--looking to avoid expense...
We put our Bedford house up for sale (after serious refurbishing several years before) and had a buyer w/in a month--could have held out for longer to get better price maybe because the market had started to heat up but husband was content w/first offer...not having a pool was never an issue...

IF you put in offer on a home you want to get all water bills for past year to check for conspicuous usage in summer and winter due to pool leak and get inspector who can check the pool throughly...

We have second home in FL that was built in late 70s so was older than our Bedford house--
it had pool done by original owners--we have been luckly that even though the pool has not been resurfaced that it is in decent shape and doesn't have leak/cracks...and pools in FL normally have a screen cage lanai to protect from stuff blown in like leaves/grass/trash which makes cleaning more of an ongoing problem--
we use our FL pool mainly when we have company or our grandson wants to swim but having one hasn't really changed us into pool people--
so know yourself--
people talk about wanting a pool but I think that is more about "image" or projected lifestyle--not really because they will actually be in the pool...

Old 02-20-2015, 09:25 AM

My comment about water costs was based on future needs--not current--
I said right now most people consider water usage for the pool as negligible--
but in future people may pay a premium for water for their pool...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas