Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:39 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but if you are going to say both this:

Quote:
that the rich and poor can choose any schools they get accepted to, and the middle class is forced to choose among public schools
and this:
Quote:
I personally think that MOST (not all) bought a long time and so are totally out of touch
You come off as really out of touch and condescending. Do you really think there are signifcant numbers of low income students at the top private schools? Really? Do you realize that there are plenty of quality private schools that are affordable to the middle class?

I think you can come to the conclusion that everyone else is out of touch, or more likely that you are really confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 10:49 AM

28 posts, read 40,605 times
My house in West Plano is worth every penny because if I had to send my 3 children for 13 years to privates that rivaled our public schools then it would cost me an extra 13 x 3 x 25,000. I don't even want to find out the hypothetical total. Our $300K income has hidden expenses of her college loans and senior care because my spouse's parents sent her and her siblings to private schools and didn't save much for their own retirement.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:38 PM

244 posts, read 405,689 times
I believe the OP is referring primarily to one of my posts. At the time I posted it, our combined income was closer to $175K per year (before taxes, benefits, retirement contributions, student loans, etc), not the ridiculously high $250 to 400k per year the original OP mentions. I consider our income to be on the very top end of middle class and laugh at the concept that a household making between $250 to 400 a year can't afford an elite private. We live comfortably and could downsize our house, downgrade our cars and stop taking vacations to afford a tier 1 while not downgrading our retirement savings. That said, I'm not willing to do that right now.

Instead of whining about it, why don't you actually have a hard discussion with your child(ren) about your finances. Explain the tradeoffs, risks. Your child may be willing to accept that if he or she goes to a tier 1, they might be on the hook for more of their college education or that they might not be able to go to camp and mom might not be able to drive a Yukon XL or Audi. Life is trade offs!

Old 02-23-2015, 01:22 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,787 times
If you are middle class, you are disproportionately burdened by tuition costs than if you are wealthy or poor. Wealthy have enough disposable income that $30,000 is not a burden. Poor = scholarships and tuition grants, so no burden, either.

Let's say you are middle-class (100k income, 80k take home) and you have a very bright, high achieving child. You are deemed "too wealthy" for grants, and the competition for scholarships is fierce (and, let's face it, more likely to be given to an individual who is from the lower income bracket and deemed more deserving because they are rising from their circumstances, etc., or the school wants more diversity). So your only choice is to suck it up and try to find a way to pay 30% of your take home pay for school or --- take out a loan.

Does seem a tad unfair - but then I stopped insisting on fairness a long time ago.

If the OP really wants to get his/ her child into a private with minimal financial burden, then I suggest she get a divorce immediately and quit her job.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:09 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
Do you know why Mark Cuban chose to attend the University of Indiana's business school? Because it was the most affordable business school on the top 10 list, and look at him now. ).
Where does he send his kids?

Old 02-23-2015, 03:24 PM

244 posts, read 405,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
If you are middle class, you are disproportionately burdened by tuition costs than if you are wealthy or poor. Wealthy have enough disposable income that $30,000 is not a burden. Poor = scholarships and tuition grants, so no burden, either.

Let's say you are middle-class (100k income, 80k take home) and you have a very bright, high achieving child. You are deemed "too wealthy" for grants, and the competition for scholarships is fierce (and, let's face it, more likely to be given to an individual who is from the lower income bracket and deemed more deserving because they are rising from their circumstances, etc., or the school wants more diversity). So your only choice is to suck it up and try to find a way to pay 30% of your take home pay for school or --- take out a loan.

Does seem a tad unfair - but then I stopped insisting on fairness a long time ago.

If the OP really wants to get his/ her child into a private with minimal financial burden, then I suggest she get a divorce immediately and quit her job.
I would check your facts on this one. I perused Greenhill's website and they absolutely offer financial aid to the income bracket noted above https://cdn.media78.whipplehill.net/...isc_111358.pdf. I'm not sure about St. Marks and Hockaday, but I would assume they are similar.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:52 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Where does he send his kids?
IIRC, he's still one of Dallas' most eligible bachelors....

Old 02-23-2015, 05:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
IIRC, he's still one of Dallas' most eligible bachelors....
Not even close. Cuban's been happily married for 10+ years now.

His girls are at Hockaday.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:56 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Boy, I'm out of touch with the social scene, aren't i?

Old 02-23-2015, 05:59 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not even close. Cuban's been happily married for 10+ years now.

His girls are at Hockaday.
Yep and his son is at Meadowbrook.

The poster made a good point that it can make sense to pick the best school for the money (like Cuban), but all things being equal, and if money is not a concern, you just simply pick the best school. I would venture to say, that for the money, UA and Jesuit may be better values than Hockaday and St. Marks (very good schools at a far cheaper price), but the rich guys are simply going to pick the best schools regardless of price.

Finally, Hockaday offers financial aid to 18% of students. However, based on my experience with two different girls, the families likely receiving financial aid are still fairly well off. My best guess is that the families have multiple kids and fairly prestigious, but relatively low paying jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas