Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:40 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Plus, DNT is being expanded to 4 lanes from 635 to Prosper.
The fourth lane expansion doesn't reach LBJ.

From NTTA:

Quote:
PGBT to Belt Line Road: restriping to add a fourth lane on southbound DNT from PGBT to the Belt Line Road exit and restriping to extend the existing fourth lane on northbound DNT from the Trinity Mills Road exit to the PGBT exit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
The fourth lane expansion doesn't reach LBJ.

From NTTA:
Forgive me for being off by 2 miles

Old 06-19-2015, 01:17 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
Arguably 95+% of world's most valuable, most profitable cos. are based in suburban office campuses, not in some Luddite downtown office tower....think AAPL, GOOG, MSFT, ORCL, etc etc

Only wealthy folks in towers are a few hedge fund guys in Manhattan or SF or LA....generally, the tech billionaires are far richer and hang out in suburbs in far cheaper offices

DFW's massive advantage over any region in world is ample land in Plano/Frisco to build further office campuses; and in case of Frisco, etc massive land for 1000s of new $300K tract houses w/decent public schools and nr these office campuses....stuff SV or NYC or Chic (or any other major region outside TX) lacks....and no state inc tax (only relevant place that shares that critical efficiency is Seatt)

If anything, DFW (like SV) refutes the silly urbanization argument of coastal commies.....sure, a few 1000 really wealthy tech or financial guys can afford to reside in SF or Manhattan and send their rugrats to pvt schools and have a driver to ferry them ard town (or pay for $1K/mo garages at their office tower and at their condo tower) and have wkend country houses.....reality is, yuppies become old and move to suburbs and, aside from plutocrats, suburbs are far cheaper....and newer suburbs w/modern amenities: SV innovated bringing artisanal food/coffee, etc from SF to self-contained SV office campuses, solving that eternal suburban hassle and making urban stuff fairly irrelevant to anyone who truly works and simply wants convenient, healthy food/drink; and funny enough, often best food/drink in urban regions isn't particularly convenient to traditional office corridors anyway: think Midtown Manhattan or most of SF's FinDt

Reality is vast majority of <$1MM/yr workers at AAPL/GOOG/GS, etc have a dismal std of living in SV or in NYC region...most are too dumb to realize that; when any co.'s stock price suffers long enough, the idiot CEO eventually figs out there's no rational reason to have 95+% of workers in high-cost/high-tax regions like NYC/CA/IL and moves jobs to TX to cut costs and to (ultimately) try to improve stock price (and personally enrich himself....biz is all abt incentives)

No doubt plutocrats anywhere prob prefer BH or SF and their weather/local produce, etc but that's only a few 1000 really rich folks in CA....and ironically, aside from the major issue of CA's 12%ish inc tax, land in HP or PH is as/more costly than similar land in BH or Atherton

Kinda laugh abt the traffic arguments....esp in era of telecommuting/email...and in time immemorial true productives/upwardly mobile arrive/leave office in rather off-peak hrs anyway....SV has incredibly fast traffic in corridors where most productive/wealthiest live/work...the slugs of SV: difft story: they ride buses/trains or drive to incredibly distant urban/suburban slums in EastBay/SJ/SF....humans self-select

Old 06-19-2015, 07:39 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
There will always be people and organizations that value the energy and proximity to young, creative talent that an urban environment provides. It's just a matter of recruiting the right mix of prospective companies to relocate.

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 06-19-2015 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 08:31 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Visited back east in NYC and wealthy NJ suburbs recently. Jobs leaving the NJ burbs due to cost have not been pretty for estate or high end SF owners. Taxes are sky high, to make up for the loss taxes on vacant former corporate property and adult kids well educated are finding good jobs scare.

I will take the problems some whine about as Plano grows over the stagflation and less attractive aging I saw in somerset county estate and horse country in N NJ.

So I consider this growth better than the alternative. I have confidence Plano will handle the growth as well as it can be. It won't be without pain and some hiccups. But toll roads are a part of why the intersection is growing. Governments don't have the capital to build new roads so they need private capital for toll roads, I don't disrespect those who provide capital we are too short sighted to have for expecting a return and to raise capital needed for transportation needs growth will produce. I am retired and live in west Plano and find the property taxes resonible for services provided, ie good schools, infrastructure etc compared to my N NJ friends.
Agreed 100 %.....We have many friends and family still living in the NY/NJ/CT area.The cost of living is ridiculous.It really is.From kilowat rates to property taxes and everything inbetween,I seriously think it has gotten difficult to justify living in that area for many people.I will take collin county growing pains any day of the week....

Last edited by CREW747; 06-19-2015 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 09:52 AM

140 posts, read 154,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Arguably 95+% of world's most valuable, most profitable cos. are based in suburban office campuses, not in some Luddite downtown office tower....think AAPL, GOOG, MSFT, ORCL, etc etc

Only wealthy folks in towers are a few hedge fund guys in Manhattan or SF or LA....generally, the tech billionaires are far richer and hang out in suburbs in far cheaper offices

DFW's massive advantage over any region in world is ample land in Plano/Frisco to build further office campuses; and in case of Frisco, etc massive land for 1000s of new $300K tract houses w/decent public schools and nr these office campuses....stuff SV or NYC or Chic (or any other major region outside TX) lacks....and no state inc tax (only relevant place that shares that critical efficiency is Seatt)

If anything, DFW (like SV) refutes the silly urbanization argument of coastal commies.....sure, a few 1000 really wealthy tech or financial guys can afford to reside in SF or Manhattan and send their rugrats to pvt schools and have a driver to ferry them ard town (or pay for $1K/mo garages at their office tower and at their condo tower) and have wkend country houses.....reality is, yuppies become old and move to suburbs and, aside from plutocrats, suburbs are far cheaper....and newer suburbs w/modern amenities: SV innovated bringing artisanal food/coffee, etc from SF to self-contained SV office campuses, solving that eternal suburban hassle and making urban stuff fairly irrelevant to anyone who truly works and simply wants convenient, healthy food/drink; and funny enough, often best food/drink in urban regions isn't particularly convenient to traditional office corridors anyway: think Midtown Manhattan or most of SF's FinDt

Reality is vast majority of <$1MM/yr workers at AAPL/GOOG/GS, etc have a dismal std of living in SV or in NYC region...most are too dumb to realize that; when any co.'s stock price suffers long enough, the idiot CEO eventually figs out there's no rational reason to have 95+% of workers in high-cost/high-tax regions like NYC/CA/IL and moves jobs to TX to cut costs and to (ultimately) try to improve stock price (and personally enrich himself....biz is all abt incentives)

No doubt plutocrats anywhere prob prefer BH or SF and their weather/local produce, etc but that's only a few 1000 really rich folks in CA....and ironically, aside from the major issue of CA's 12%ish inc tax, land in HP or PH is as/more costly than similar land in BH or Atherton

Kinda laugh abt the traffic arguments....esp in era of telecommuting/email...and in time immemorial true productives/upwardly mobile arrive/leave office in rather off-peak hrs anyway....SV has incredibly fast traffic in corridors where most productive/wealthiest live/work...the slugs of SV: difft story: they ride buses/trains or drive to incredibly distant urban/suburban slums in EastBay/SJ/SF....humans self-select

AMEN,
i left NYC and i am not looking back.and i welcome all these companies moving here

Old 06-19-2015, 11:52 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,274 times
reading this thread I've learned:

Downtown is a horrible place
Downtown is struggling

It could be argued this is the best the downtown Dallas area has been since the 1940s. Booming in commercial and residential leasing, home prices and sales booming. Plenty of companies leasing space in the inner city Dallas. That's why the area is dotted with cranes.

don't understand the stigma of working downtown either. Definitely enjoyed my time downtown vs other places. Lots of food and fun within walking distance. Easy to get out of on a train or bus.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:56 PM

74 posts, read 86,579 times
Downtown and Central Dallas offers a much better way of life than driving for hours around and to generic suburbs, in my opinion. That's called the rat race. I'd rather relax, go to nice restaurants and shops, run the Katy Trail or enjoy White Rock Lake. Everything is in a short distance here.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:52 PM

84 posts, read 94,645 times
There is a lot to do in suburbs as well, parks, trails, entertainment, shopping, dinning and we have good schools, less crime and family oriented community. More employers are moving in so commute to the city is a non factor for most.

I like parts of Dallas but at this point in my life, I see no reason to live in one.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:19 PM

88 posts, read 127,305 times
They picked Plano?

Chase eyes tollway corner for new office campus | | Dallas Morning News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas