Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:30 PM

352 posts, read 570,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
I think I would like denver better since I enjoyed my visit there, The only thing it seems that dallas or houston has going for it is lower COL and job market. Thats good if you want a suburban family life, I think life is more than eating and shopping.
^^^
Yup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:05 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
^^^
Yup.
Are you saying the only thing suburban families in DFW do is eat and shop?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Not necessarily; it appears that soccer games are big here. But, when I moved here, locals told me that eating and shopping are the top things to do in DFW. I've found some truth to that.

I also was agreeing that 1) I too enjoy Denver, and 2) one of the big selling points to DFW is the cost of living and jobs.

But since you asked, if you don't mind, please tell me what exactly to suburban families in DFW when they are not eating and shopping?

Last edited by USNomad; 03-11-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
But since you asked, if you don't mind, please tell me what exactly do suburban families "do" in DFW when they are not eating out and shopping? (sorry, typo on my last post)

I've explored DFW (and Texas) extensively, and it seems that for a metro of this size, activities seem a bit limited and sometimes, your at the mercy of the weather conditions. Best thing i've done is to have found some good friends to hang out with or catch flights out of here on weekends.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:16 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
But since you asked, if you don't mind, please tell me what exactly do suburban families "do" in DFW when they are not eating out and shopping? (sorry, typo on my last post)

I've explored DFW (and Texas) extensively, and it seems that for a metro of this size, activities seem a bit limited and sometimes, your at the mercy of the weather conditions. Best thing i've done is to have found some good friends to hang out with or catch flights out of here on weekends.
What exactly do you think suburban families do in Denver?

The suburban family of 4 living in Parker, CO is doing pretty much the same thing as the family of 4 living in Allen or McKinney. In both cases, they likely live in tract homes in planned subdivisions with HOA's and neighborhood parks. The kids play with neighborhood friends and attend various activities (soccer, gymnastics, etc.) on the evenings/weekends. A couple of times a year they may travel to visit family since they are likely transplants from another part of the country (true for both Denver and Dallas).

They may occasionally go to the museum, zoo, theme park or other attraction in the city.

Denver does provide better access for occasional camping, skiing, and hiking trips and personally (as I noted upthread) I prefer Denver for those reasons, but the reality is that family life for a suburban family is just not that different.

(disclaimer: I have never lived in the suburbs of DFW or Denver, but I have lived on the Front Range and I live in Dallas now with friends and family in both suburban areas)

Old 03-12-2015, 09:29 PM

65 posts, read 79,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
What exactly do you think suburban families do in Denver?

The suburban family of 4 living in Parker, CO is doing pretty much the same thing as the family of 4 living in Allen or McKinney. In both cases, they likely live in tract homes in planned subdivisions with HOA's and neighborhood parks. The kids play with neighborhood friends and attend various activities (soccer, gymnastics, etc.) on the evenings/weekends. A couple of times a year they may travel to visit family since they are likely transplants from another part of the country (true for both Denver and Dallas).

They may occasionally go to the museum, zoo, theme park or other attraction in the city.

Denver does provide better access for occasional camping, skiing, and hiking trips and personally (as I noted upthread) I prefer Denver for those reasons, but the reality is that family life for a suburban family is just not that different.

(disclaimer: I have never lived in the suburbs of DFW or Denver, but I have lived on the Front Range and I live in Dallas now with friends and family in both suburban areas)
Suburban life is very much the same. When you have little kids, it's hard to afford skiing. A lift ticket to Vail is around $120 and childcare for a day is about the same. Parking is $20. Driving up there and back is $40 in gas. Plus, if it's a weekend, you may be on I-70 for up to 3 hours heading home. Of course, there's Eldora and Loveland for more affordable skiing, but they don't have a nursery for the little kids. You'd have to find someone in the suburbs to watch them, and you'd probably have to leave early so that you don't get stuck in the 2-3 hour traffic and be at their house to pick up the baby too late. I can't speak for family life with older kids, but ski equipment isn't cheap and they'd probably outgrow it every year. There's trade-in programs and such, but we never got there.

Hiking is more do-able. We limited it to the front range- usually going to Deer Creek Canyon. Hiking with babies and little kids is more like wandering 100 feet into the woods, though

We did do camping with the kiddos, which was fun, but we can do that here.

So, yes, suburban life is similar in both places. School-sports-Costco-Target-Ballet-church-home...repeat, repeat, repeat

Old 03-12-2015, 09:53 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holldog99 View Post
Suburban life is very much the same. When you have little kids, it's hard to afford skiing. A lift ticket to Vail is around $120 and childcare for a day is about the same. Parking is $20. Driving up there and back is $40 in gas. Plus, if it's a weekend, you may be on I-70 for up to 3 hours heading home. Of course, there's Eldora and Loveland for more affordable skiing, but they don't have a nursery for the little kids. You'd have to find someone in the suburbs to watch them, and you'd probably have to leave early so that you don't get stuck in the 2-3 hour traffic and be at their house to pick up the baby too late. I can't speak for family life with older kids, but ski equipment isn't cheap and they'd probably outgrow it every year. There's trade-in programs and such, but we never got there.

Hiking is more do-able. We limited it to the front range- usually going to Deer Creek Canyon. Hiking with babies and little kids is more like wandering 100 feet into the woods, though

We did do camping with the kiddos, which was fun, but we can do that here.

So, yes, suburban life is similar in both places. School-sports-Costco-Target-Ballet-church-home...repeat, repeat, repeat
It seems like the issue, at least for outdoor lovers, is that you don't have the option here. There are tons of day hikes on the front range that are in beautiful places that make you really feel like you're in the wild. There are tons of things you can do with kids of almost all ages on the weekends that are cheap or free that allow you to really dive into nature. I went snow shoeing in Estes Park this January, and I can't count how many young kids I saw out there with their families, bundled up and either riding in a kiddie backpack or snowshoeing themselves. In DFW, stuff like that isn't really an option. Sure, you can hike and camp, but it isn't even close to the same experience.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:58 AM

117 posts, read 193,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
It seems like the issue, at least for outdoor lovers, is that you don't have the option here. There are tons of day hikes on the front range that are in beautiful places that make you really feel like you're in the wild. There are tons of things you can do with kids of almost all ages on the weekends that are cheap or free that allow you to really dive into nature. I went snow shoeing in Estes Park this January, and I can't count how many young kids I saw out there with their families, bundled up and either riding in a kiddie backpack or snowshoeing themselves. In DFW, stuff like that isn't really an option. Sure, you can hike and camp, but it isn't even close to the same experience.
Having lived all over one thing that bothers me about being in TX is the lack of open public land. TX is towards the bottom with only 4.2% public while CO has 43.3%...wow!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:34 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainofjjj View Post
Having lived all over one thing that bothers me about being in TX is the lack of open public land. TX is towards the bottom with only 4.2% public while CO has 43.3%...wow!

Agreed. Definitely one of the things that was difficult for me to get used to after spending the majority of my life in Wyoming (56% public land) and CO. Not necessarily that unusual for states in the Plains and Eastern U.S., but a big change to anyone who is used to the public lands and open spaces of the West.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:54 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holldog99 View Post
I didn't get a chance to read the above...

We moved from Littleton 3 weeks ago. My husband is working in downtown FW.

You said you were going to be in Dallas. Right? I didn't have time to read through all the posts :-)

As a Coloradan, here's my impressions. And, I am in Fort Worth, but have spent a few days in Dallas and seen many of the suburbs (frisco, coppell, irving, arlington, grand prairie, and more suburbs over here in Fort Worth)
- The traffic in Dallas is like nothing I have seen anywhere. Like, it doesn't freaking move. All the time. I was warned about the traffic, but now I know; it is insane. It is something to get used to for sure!
- That said, the highway system here is way better than Denver's. It makes sense. The lanes are wider. The entry and exit ramps are better. The tollways, of course, are amazing.
- Fort Worth drivers are slower and less aggressive than Denver's. Denver's drivers are similar to Dallas drivers.
- 40 degrees here feels like 20 degrees in Denver. I think it's the humidity or something. I get cold to my bones.
- I have considered buying rain boots and an umbrella- possessions that I did not have or need since I studied in England in the year 2000. It's been raining/sleeting/snowing the majority of the time that I am here, which makes these Fort Worth drivers even slower.
- The food here is amazing. In Denver, there's kale and quinoa on everything. Here its butter and grease. It tastes amazing and I have intentions of some sort of detox in my near future. But there's also good "healthy" restaurants here too... so yummy.
- In Denver, you were wearing a designer when you put on lululemon pants or a North Face hoodie. Here, they shop at Nieman Marcus and wear a lot of Tory Burch.
- I miss the mountains like crazy and I had to discover the compass on my dashboard. Sometimes I just daydream about the mountains. I can't believe how much I miss them
- People are friendlier here. They don't "vent" or complain. They're very positive and pleasant. They seem less rushed and more willing to have a conversation, in both Dallas and FW.
- Everyone else seemed to speak on the economy, but it is working out for our family. My husband gets paid more, the houses are cheaper, there's no income tax, but there is high property taxes. I can't speak for utilities yet. But, you don't just get your electricity from one company here. I had 317 choices in my electrical plan and sometimes get people at my door trying to get me to switch companies.
- My husband is the only guy in his office in dress shoes. Everyone wears cowboy boots.
- Football is enormous, and the stadiums are huge for high school.

Just my take! Good luck with your decisions!
Wait until you get to the summer time. You will see nothing but clear blue skies most of the time. It doesn't rain often at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas