Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:13 AM

352 posts, read 570,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
It seems like the issue, at least for outdoor lovers, is that you don't have the option here. There are tons of day hikes on the front range that are in beautiful places that make you really feel like you're in the wild. There are tons of things you can do with kids of almost all ages on the weekends that are cheap or free that allow you to really dive into nature. I went snow shoeing in Estes Park this January, and I can't count how many young kids I saw out there with their families, bundled up and either riding in a kiddie backpack or snowshoeing themselves. In DFW, stuff like that isn't really an option. Sure, you can hike and camp, but it isn't even close to the same experience.
^^^
Yes.

After 8 months in Houston, and 4.5 years living in DFW, and after lots of driving 6-12 hours per trip to find true outdoor scenery/recreation around this state, I realized this was something that I sorely missed after living out west along with visits to the northwest part of the country. This was one thing that I failed to properly research prior to moving here because I was more focused on "chasing the gold ring". Even though the economy is pretty good here, I know that weather, scenery and outdoor recreation are now a top priority for my next move, no matter what the cost may be.

Again, I hope the OP finds useful information on here to assist with making the best move for his/her particular lifestyle. I guess I can't complain, as everything isn't for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 06:57 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holldog99 View Post
So, yes, suburban life is similar in both places. School-sports-Costco-Target-Ballet-church-home...repeat, repeat, repeat
Such a snoozefest!

Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 AM

95 posts, read 123,588 times
I've been in Co for 34 years. Now there is a chance we may be relocating to Dallas. My husband is from TX and lived in Dallas for 10 years before moving here. Since I haven't lived in TX (just visited) I can't compare the 2, but I can tell you nearly everyone I know or have met in CO is a transplant. Mostly from CA, TX and the mid west. They *love* it here and would "never" leave. It's just THAT awesome. My husband says it's a totally different lifestyle. He was shocked when first moving to CO from Dallas at how "casual" it is here. That's probably the one thing I don't like about it. If you wear anything more than jeans to go out, people ask if you are going to a wedding.. no joke. It's VERY outdoorsy. Hiking, biking, skiing, camping, etc. Our family is an exception b/c we don't do any of that other than skiing. Housing prices have skyrocketed here. I was just looking at houses in Frisco online and I'm shocked at what you can get for 500K. Here it would be something almost half that size- and if you were in Boulder, it would probably be a 1/4. There is very low inventory as well so houses are usually sold almost immediately with multiple bidding. Altho there is no state tax in Dallas, the property taxes are double of CO. You just can't beat the weather in CO. It's the sunniest state in the country! We get more sunshine than Hawaii!. When it snows, it will be melted within the next few days.

For those of you from TX how welcoming are you to "outsiders".. It seems like everyone i've met in Texas is from TX. No one really moves. In CO, you will be hard pressed to find a native. Economically speaking, it seems like there are way more opportunities in Dallas. I've known 4 people in my neighborhood that have relocated to Dallas/Houston in the past year for a job. You don't find many people moving to Denver for a job. Usually people seem to want to move here just to move out of where they currently are- not for a job.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:28 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
There are tons of transplants in Dallas too. You'll be hard-pressed to find natives much of the time.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:32 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Hey I know how you feel about the mountains, I am from Chicago and miss lake michigan and north ave beach. I moved to Atlanta where it was a sprawling land locked traffic nightmare ,but the rolling hills and trees were nice, I think I would like denver better since I enjoyed my visit there, The only thing it seems that dallas or houston has going for it is lower COL and job market. Thats good if you want a suburban family life, I think life is more than eating and shopping.

Yep. This pretty much sums it up. If you look at all the boards related to Dallas, most questions are related to jobs, buying a bigger house and a cheap cost of living. People don't move here for the "experience" of living in TX.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:54 PM

95 posts, read 123,588 times
^^^^ right... Which I think is probably the biggest difference with the 2 states. People CHOOSE to move to CO for everything described in this thread. Others that have moved to TX (with the exception of maybe Austin) that I know of, it was because of a job. That is IT.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 25,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Yep. This pretty much sums it up. If you look at all the boards related to Dallas, most questions are related to jobs, buying a bigger house and a cheap cost of living. People don't move here for the "experience" of living in TX.
I'm looking for job opportunity, reasonable cost of living, AND the experience of living in TX. Not everyone has the same motivations. I've lived in the Appalachian Mountain valleys my whole life and can't wait to live on the Great Plains with a big sky overhead. The change of scenery is a big motivator for me. Longer swim season and opportunity to be outside running or cycling in TX vs. PA. I've never been into winter sports so the winters in Denver don't appeal to me at all. I guess it depends on what you like to do outside. Denver has more abundant or varied outdoor activities whereas Dallas is a little more limited. But that doesn't mean everyone's interests are the same. For me, when it comes to swimming or jet skiing, Dallas > Denver.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:05 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailbaby View Post

For those of you from TX how welcoming are you to "outsiders".. It seems like everyone i've met in Texas is from TX. No one really moves. In CO, you will be hard pressed to find a native. Economically speaking, it seems like there are way more opportunities in Dallas. I've known 4 people in my neighborhood that have relocated to Dallas/Houston in the past year for a job. You don't find many people moving to Denver for a job. Usually people seem to want to move here just to move out of where they currently are- not for a job.
This doesn't even make sense to me.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:38 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailbaby View Post
He was shocked when first moving to CO from Dallas at how "casual" it is here.
That is very true. It extends to more than just clothes as well. I know some people in Denver with money, and they always comment to me about how when they visit Dallas they can't believe how status-oriented it is. People here really care about driving luxury cars or having huge houses. While there are those sorts of people in Denver as well, it seems to be much less of a prevailing attitude. The Jones chasing is more common down here in DFW.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:39 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshstart24 View Post
I'm looking for job opportunity, reasonable cost of living, AND the experience of living in TX. Not everyone has the same motivations. I've lived in the Appalachian Mountain valleys my whole life and can't wait to live on the Great Plains with a big sky overhead. The change of scenery is a big motivator for me. Longer swim season and opportunity to be outside running or cycling in TX vs. PA. I've never been into winter sports so the winters in Denver don't appeal to me at all. I guess it depends on what you like to do outside. Denver has more abundant or varied outdoor activities whereas Dallas is a little more limited. But that doesn't mean everyone's interests are the same. For me, when it comes to swimming or jet skiing, Dallas > Denver.
DFW is not the place for big skies. There are parts of Texas that are, but not DFW.

For swimming and jet skiing, however, it's great. You couldn't pay me to jump in most lakes in Denver -- I don't do cold water. One time I went tubing in April on the front range....biggest mistake of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas