Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:39 PM

778 posts, read 2,312,223 times

Advertisements

I thought I was the only one who didn't quite "get it" with regards to NFM. I agree its just overwhelming and the quality of some of their living room sets left a lot to be desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Some friends were looking for a higher end leather sleeper sofa. The selection was small, ten items and were not well made. They were low price but did not cover the price quality range they wanted to see. Star is a brooks hire Hathaway owned similar concept to NFM but based in Houston. They carry name brands from high to low end as does Mathes brothers (sp?) in OKC. Expected the same range coverage but they did not find it in their target product.
I used to live in OKC and LOVED Mathis Brothers. Yeah, their commercials were stupid but their selection was always great. I think I was kinda expecting the same thing as NFM but I found it to be decidedly downscale from what you got there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:18 PM

446 posts, read 838,256 times
Agree on the recent comments. Went there last weekend and was not impressed. Seemed like quantity > quality, a lot of what I'd consider lower-end furniture (like Ashley, R2G, etc.). Yes, they did have some better quality things like stuff from Lexington etc., but selection was severely limited and pricing that wasn't great (esp. when you factor in tax vs. buying from non-TX sellers of these brands).

We'll probably check it out again once the house is completed for guest BR kind of stuff. If you're looking for higher quality pieces, I've always found it cheaper by ordering it online from out of state once you figure out the exact mfr and piece you want.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:16 PM

953 posts, read 1,820,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
Agree on the recent comments. Went there last weekend and was not impressed. Seemed like quantity > quality, a lot of what I'd consider lower-end furniture (like Ashley, R2G, etc.). Yes, they did have some better quality things like stuff from Lexington etc., but selection was severely limited and pricing that wasn't great (esp. when you factor in tax vs. buying from non-TX sellers of these brands).

We'll probably check it out again once the house is completed for guest BR kind of stuff. If you're looking for higher quality pieces, I've always found it cheaper by ordering it online from out of state once you figure out the exact mfr and piece you want.
Any recos on online mfr for high quality pieces?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 AM

459 posts, read 1,739,015 times
I, too, went to NFM this weekend and was surprisingly unimpressed with the pieces that I came across. I mostly was in search of higher end pieces, but it seems their selection was fairly limited in this regard. One of the $2,500 sideboards actually gave me a splinter on my hand when I briefly touched it, which made me concerned about the quality and finish.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go for more high end furniture in the Plano area?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:41 AM

559 posts, read 926,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Any recos on online mfr for high quality pieces?
Check Costco website. We bought their top grain leather sofa set at a very good price and very happy with their overall service and a quality. They provide white glove delivery service at your place.

NOTE: They do provide customer service number for each item. you can call them and ask for a sample fabric or leather piece. They send it for free to give you an idea of the color and quality of the material used on actual furniture.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:01 AM

446 posts, read 838,256 times
It's a bear trying to find stuff online, but I usually first go to a few manufacturer's sites, find what I like, then email a bunch of places to get quotes on those exact pieces. Outside of that, if you're just browsing, I'd suggest boyles.com, furniturelandsouth.com, and us-mattress.com. We've ordered from all three before with orders >$5K and they've been positive experiences. Note that most of these places won't have prices online, you'll have to call bc they have mfr restrictions on what they can show online w pricing.

EDIT: Our more recent purchases last year were at Arhaus and Ethan Allen if you like to see stuff in person. Arhaus was great experience w the design consult and planning, but their lead times on a lot of custom products are exceptionally long (5-6+ mo).

Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 AM

119 posts, read 190,762 times
I agree that most of their furniture is on the lower quality side and I was not thrilled about the selection, (unlike Cantoni, where I liked everything except the prices ). Having said that, we nevertheless found very nice dining room set at NFM, but it was one of their more expensive sets.

I like their kitchen section, where you can see many brands and models on display, IMO none of the other local stores have that many items on display. I also bought some Insteon home automation switches, which were cheaper than anywhere else. So, I guess it depends on what you are looking for. We live not far from NFM, so will probably visit more in the future.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:41 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,228,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
I thought I was the only one who didn't quite "get it" with regards to NFM. I agree its just overwhelming and the quality of some of their living room sets left a lot to be desired.

I used to live in OKC and LOVED Mathis Brothers. Yeah, their commercials were stupid but their selection was always great. I think I was kinda expecting the same thing as NFM but I found it to be decidedly downscale from what you got there.
I was down there to in early March, and I was also underwhelmed. The most impressive part for me with the smokers. I like the Italian stoves, but I can find the exact same things at Hahn appliances here in Tulsa. The wall at kitchen aid mixer's over by the subway sandwich shop was cool.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:43 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,778,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
I, too, went to NFM this weekend and was surprisingly unimpressed with the pieces that I came across. I mostly was in search of higher end pieces, but it seems their selection was fairly limited in this regard. One of the $2,500 sideboards actually gave me a splinter on my hand when I briefly touched it, which made me concerned about the quality and finish.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go for more high end furniture in the Plano area?
Weir's on Preston near Spring Creek. One of the best furniture stores I've ever visited, extremely professional, courteous staff, customer service out the wazoo. Quality furniture at reasonable prices. Maybe not the absolute cheapest, but all around a fantastic business. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Haven't been to the NFM yet even tho I work just down the street and have watched with amazement as it has gone up. But I get the impression that it will be like a huge Chinese Buffet: Tons of food that looks really appetizing but all ends up tasting rather bland. A smaller, sit down Chinese Restaurant makes food that takes so much better.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:08 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,318,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post

Duck into the consigneree, it's a high end consignment shop near weirs. Lightly used high end furniture at a great price. It's right off Preston south of spring creek near weirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas